The Student Room Group

People on my road are really rude :(

I just got back from charity collecting and out of the 50 houses I put envelopes in, half of them denied I ever went in the first place, another 10 opened the door half way and said 'sorry i'm not interested' and another 13 made up some LAME excuse like 'my wife must have left it somewhere and she doesn't get back until next week'.

Only 6% of people on my road are nice enough to even be curteous to a voluntary charity collector. What has happened to this world. Gosh. :mad:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
How dare these people not want to part with their money? The people who said they're not interested or had an excuse weren't rude at all. :confused:
They should have acknowledged the fact that first of all I'm not a hobo or a salesman and secondly should at least give me the time of day to recognise the fact that I have made the effort rather than be so suspicious.
Reply 3
I dunno, I can see myself not giving too much time to someone if I'd already decided the answer would be 'no'.

I suppose you have different perspectives. You only really need to get people engaged and interested enough to hand over money, and you knew they were going to knock. They, on the other hand, were interupted and possibly doing something more important to them, and didn't know you were coming right then. So they will hav less time for you.

If they swore or yelled or something, then yeah, but a fairly short 'no thank you' isn't rude, just frustrating.

Also, I'd be suspicious. It's how people are. Sorry.
Reply 4
The people with excuses were probably telling the truth ya know, we too get these things through the door unbeknownst to me and when the collector people come I have no idea what they're talking about.
Reply 5
I throw them out. Charity things that is. I chose my charities at the end of the year and write them a cheque.

I get people knocking all the time, I just say "No thankyou" and then shut the door. I cant give my money to everyone, and I give what I can afford in my cheques.
Reply 6
I wouldn't give anything to something posted through my door, just like I don't give money to charity workers on the street.
Reply 7
I'm an atheist, which absolves me from all responsibility of having to give a **** about whether the local monastery has enough fruit to feed its delusional "Gouranga" monks.
miltonkeynes
They should have acknowledged the fact that first of all I'm not a hobo or a salesman and secondly should at least give me the time of day to recognise the fact that I have made the effort rather than be so suspicious.

put yourself in thier shoes.

you knocked thier door
you invaded thier pricacy
you then have the audacity to ask for thier money.

its not rude it people living in the real world where we expect to be get ripped off by people knocking our doors
They didn't tell you to **** off, did they?

So just live with it and chalk it down as a bad experience.
Reply 10
I never give money to people knocking at my door (sorry, I just dont agree with it). Theres so many scams going on these days you just dont know where its going. I hate those clothes collection things too, some of them are very dodgy.

I already give donations to 2 charities via direct debit, which is why I choose not to give to anywhere else, unless its something like Poppies etc.
Reply 11
mc_hamster
I wouldn't give anything to something posted through my door, just like I don't give money to charity workers on the street.

Agreed.
If they swore or yelled or something, then yeah, but a fairly short 'no thank you' isn't rude, just frustrating.

Precisely. Stop being such a wimp and recognise that no one owes you anything. In this case, no one owes you courtesy or their time of day.
Reply 13
what was the chairty for?
foxo
I'm an atheist, which absolves me from all responsibility of having to give a **** about whether the local monastery has enough fruit to feed its delusional "Gouranga" monks.

I assume you would consider giving to something like NSPCC though?

Personally I choose my charities and make direct debits to them. I don't want to be influenced by anyone when I decide which charity receives my money, because I don't have enough to give away if I did let people influence me.
people are like that (sorry)

I did race for life last year, so many people sponsored me, but when it came to giving the money loads er didnt! some were even impossible to get a hold of all of a sudden! meh! so this time I'll get people to give me the money BEFORE putting their names down, so much easier, I'll probably get a lot less sponsors though!
Reply 16
One of the rather sad things about British people is they'd rather make up some lie than say 'no thank you, I'd rather not'. It's quite pathetic really.
Reply 17
Cadre_Of_Storms
put yourself in thier shoes.

you knocked thier door
you invaded thier pricacy
you then have the audacity to ask for thier money.

its not rude it people living in the real world where we expect to be get ripped off by people knocking our doors

Exactly ...you've just sat down to eat and there is someone knocking on the door, you get up and its not a friend, just some random asking for money.

They always seem to call here while we are having dinner :s-smilie:
Reply 18
This may sound harsh - but working for charity isn't about stroking your own ego. It's about giving something back to the community - if you get abuse for it or feel unappreciated sometimes then that's just the way the cookie crumbles, but knocking on someone's door isn't likely to yield happy faces and glad tidings.

That said, I'm sure the charity will be grateful that you spent your time to try and help them. You shouldn't be disheartened, but use this as an opportunity to increase your determination to help this charity.
Reply 19
I have to agree with the others... they're not obliged to give you anything (esp. as you've interrupted them). I personally choose to give to charities when and which I feel is appropriate. I guess all you can ask for is for them to be polite to you.
However.. it is good that you are doing this charity work. But perhaps you would be happier working in a charity shop? That way at least customers come to you because they want to. This is what I did, and I had a really good time.

Latest

Trending

Trending