The Student Room Group

Higher Maths CfE 2015-2016

Scroll to see replies

Thanks and should I be aiming to get A's or B's in the past paper questions I do? And also I take physics, chemistry at higher too which are 3 of my 5 highers and wanted advice on how to study to achieve A's in them? Once again many thanks for your helpful advice
Original post by Zrehman24
Thanks and should I be aiming to get A's or B's in the past paper questions I do? And also I take physics, chemistry at higher too which are 3 of my 5 highers and wanted advice on how to study to achieve A's in them? Once again many thanks for your helpful advice

My maths teachers told me there's no harm in just doing past papers again and again until you're getting 100% in them. I feel past papers is the only way to really revise for maths, similar questions are bond to be in the exam this year. In terms of physics and chemistry, I'm no sure so maybe you could ask that on threads for them?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 202
Original post by Zrehman24

Yes aim for A's or B's, but really your main aim is to find out where you went wrong and learn the correct method to do the question.

For chem and physics, same thing really, do many past papers. But for chemistry and physics try remember the past papers answers for definitions so that you can write the same for exam, this gains you some guaranteed marks. Also use revision books (Bright red books are good)
Reply 203
Original post by Jeff548
I am only in S5 so will apply over the summer. Congrats on the offers. What were your applications and to who (apart from mentioned ones)?

I applied to economics - Glasgow (BB)
Mathematics Glasgow (B in maths)
Microbiology Strathclyde
Economics & Mathematics & Statistics - strathclyde
Business law strathclyde

I haven't got back anything from strathclyde just yet, but il let you know what I do get :biggrin:
Reply 204
Original post by qasim-98
I applied to economics - Glasgow (BB)
Mathematics Glasgow (B in maths)
Microbiology Strathclyde
Economics & Mathematics & Statistics - strathclyde
Business law strathclyde

I haven't got back anything from strathclyde just yet, but il let you know what I do get :biggrin:

Mate how did you write your personal statement for microbiology lol?
Reply 205
Original post by muchensmile
Mate how did you write your personal statement for microbiology lol?

I didn't I just took a chance, all my personal statement was about business and the final line was about maths. So I have no idea how I got into maths 😂. What are you applying to ?
Reply 206
I didn't I just took a chance, all my personal statement was about business and the final line was about maths. So I have no idea how I got into maths 😂. What are you applying to ?

Haha that's funny, well done though! Would be funnier if you got offer for microbiology as well haha, what's your top choice? I applied to medicine so my personal statement was basically all about medicine :P
Reply 207
Haha that's funny, well done though! Would be funnier if you got offer for microbiology as well haha, what's your top choice? I applied to medicine so my personal statement was basically all about medicine :P

To be honest I don't really know. I guess economics is the most secure one to go with, as it opens doors to many opportunities (with a very decent salary) but then doing microbiology/immunology would be more challenging, I think, and a tad more interesting. But I really like business and I did really well and won prizes for the subject and all sorts, but I'm kind of stuck between the two. Il guess il have to actually get a decision from the biology course to know what's happening.
Reply 208
To be honest I don't really know. I guess economics is the most secure one to go with, as it opens doors to many opportunities (with a very decent salary) but then doing microbiology/immunology would be more challenging, I think, and a tad more interesting. But I really like business and I did really well and won prizes for the subject and all sorts, but I'm kind of stuck between the two. Il guess il have to actually get a decision from the biology course to know what's happening.

Yeah tbh if you're good at business you should probably stick with business :biggrin: But hey, your choice!
Reply 209
Yeah tbh if you're good at business you should probably stick with business :biggrin: But hey, your choice!

Yeah I guess, there was a biology with management course at Edinburgh and when I found out I was so annoyed, I really wanted to apply but I can't commute..
Reply 210
Yeah I guess, there was a biology with management course at Edinburgh and when I found out I was so annoyed, I really wanted to apply but I can't commute..

Aw shame :frown:
Maybe you could get your econ/business degree and work in business side of pharmaceuticals if you like biology? :biggrin:

The degree structure at pretty much all Scottish unis allows you to take a number of "outside courses" in the early years. You could easily combine biology and business stuff.
Reply 212
Original post by Asklepios
The degree structure at pretty much all Scottish unis allows you to take a number of "outside courses" in the early years. You could easily combine biology and business stuff.

But what would my final degree be called. I know it's just a name but I mean it's nice to know that if you've studied both, it's been acknowledged.
Reply 213
has anyone got their maths prelim result yet?!

Got mine back like 3 weeks ago 😂

Posted from TSR Mobile

Getting mine tomorrow!!!! So nervous!!!!
I'm studying this in college, in which we have around 25 hours less than schools in class time. I'm finding it rather easy but I can't say that the rest of my class are. We have a fantastic lecturer but some are just more willing to learn than others!
Got my maths result back, I got a B and made some mistakes.

I got 74% which I guess is a good morale booster but by no means is good enough for a final exam A. Lots more work still needed!!!
Reply 218
Original post by Jeff548
Got my maths result back, I got a B and made some mistakes.

I got 74% which I guess is a good morale booster but by no means is good enough for a final exam A. Lots more work still needed!!!

Wait 70% is an A.. Is it not.. Unless you're school do it differently but they can't really adjust the grade boundaries however suits them, unless it was easy so they made it 75% for an A. But my school doesn't adjust them.

50% C
60% B
70% A
?

Well done though ! :smile:
Wait 70% is an A.. Is it not.. Unless you're school do it differently but they can't really adjust the grade boundaries however suits them, unless it was easy so they made it 75% for an A. But my school doesn't adjust them.

50% C
60% B
70% A
?

Well done though ! :smile:

Percentages can get moved even in the final exams depending on how many people pass or fail

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending