The Student Room Group

Higher Maths CfE 2015-2016

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
What's everyone doing just now? I'm doing recurrence relations but I still can't get my head around composite functions the layout is so hard..

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by qasim-98
What's everyone doing just now? I'm doing recurrence relations but I still can't get my head around composite functions the layout is so hard..

Posted from TSR Mobile

I find composite functions "fun" in a way. The layout does look daunting so try not to worry about that, whatever you are substituting as x in the given function just replace all the "x" with the value so if the functions was f(x) =3x^2
Then just remember whatever "stuff" whether it's a number or an expression you are putting into the bracket , replace the x in the function with the exact same thing
For example f(3a+2) = 3(3a+2)^2
Remember - Everything else remains unchanged.
If there are more than one x in the function then substitute the "stuff" for ALL the x's. I know the stuff isn't the most mathematical word but it helps to understand when you put it into street language.

When you have to substitute a function into a function then do exactly the same. If f(x)=3x^2 and g(x)=4x-3x^3 then if asked for g(f(x))=?
Here you already know what f(x) is then go ahead and sub it into the bracket ; g(3x^2) and simply sub the f(x) into all x value of the g(x) function.

So, g(3x^2) =4(3x^2)-3(3x^2)^3

The main thing is whatever "stuff" you put into bracket , replace the x in the function with the "stuff"

Hope that helps. :smile:
Reply 22
Original post by Mystery.
I find composite functions "fun" in a way. The layout does look daunting so try not to worry about that, whatever you are substituting as x in the given function just replace all the "x" with the value so if the functions was f(x) =3x^2
Then just remember whatever "stuff" whether it's a number or an expression you are putting into the bracket , replace the x in the function with the exact same thing
For example f(3a+2) = 3(3a+2)^2
Remember - Everything else remains unchanged.
If there are more than one x in the function then substitute the "stuff" for ALL the x's. I know the stuff isn't the most mathematical word but it helps to understand when you put it into street language.

When you have to substitute a function into a function then do exactly the same. If f(x)=3x^2 and g(x)=4x-3x^3 then if asked for g(f(x))=?
Here you already know what f(x) is then go ahead and sub it into the bracket ; g(3x^2) and simply sub the f(x) into all x value of the g(x) function.

So, g(3x^2) =4(3x^2)-3(3x^2)^3

The main thing is whatever "stuff" you put into bracket , replace the x in the function with the "stuff"

Hope that helps. :smile:

It did help thanks, it's just more confusing when I'm solving it because it gets messy with fractions over fractions, I know they don't get that hard but just incase a hard one does come up in the exam, I did the function question in this years paper and it was ok, it's just the complex one with fractions and a lot I terms

Posted from TSR Mobile
Find the equation of both medians, and solve them either simultaneously/ set them = to one another, either ways fine.

Then find x or y, and plug the one you find back into one of the original equations to get the other coordinate

It's a show that question, so you need a statement in the end to summarise your working.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Find the equation of both medians, and solve them either simultaneously/ set them = to one another, either ways fine.

Then find x or y, and plug the one you find back into one of the original equations to get the other coordinate

It's a show that question, so you need a statement in the end to summarise your working.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thanks, don't know what I'm doing wrong but my equations don't solve, got like y = -23/9 which can't be right
Reply 24
Original post by the_smiths
Thanks, don't know what I'm doing wrong but my equations don't solve, got like y = -23/9 which can't be right

Do you want to see how I'd do it? I'll post a photo of the solution I got ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do you want to see how I'd do it? I'll post a photo of the solution I got ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah, I could try help you if you post a picture
image.jpgCan someone help me with 12b and 13a?
Can someone help me with 12b and 13a?

12b) Remember a quadratic has either a minimum or a maximum at it's vertex (so the tip). For a quadratic with real and distinct roots (so it crosses the x-axis twice at different points) this point will have an x-coordinate at the midpoint of the line connecting its two roots. (So if a quadratic has roots at x= 2 and 6, the vertex will have x-coordinate 4.

Alternatively, if you've done differentiation then the minimum value of the composition is just the zero of it's derivative, as the square term is positive.

13a) A domain is the range of values that the input of a function has. So if we have a function f, then f maps a value x to a corresponding value f(x). So here you're given the values that x can take for the function, which is x >= 0, So all you have to do is sketch the graph of f(x) = x^2+1 as you normally would, but just cut off all the negative values for x.
Original post by TheFOMaster
12b) Remember a quadratic has either a minimum or a maximum at it's vertex (so the tip). For a quadratic with real and distinct roots (so it crosses the x-axis twice at different points) this point will have an x-coordinate at the midpoint of the line connecting its two roots. (So if a quadratic has roots at x= 2 and 6, the vertex will have x-coordinate 4.

Alternatively, if you've done differentiation then the minimum value of the composition is just the zero of it's derivative, as the square term is positive.

13a) A domain is the range of values that the input of a function has. So if we have a function f, then f maps a value x to a corresponding value f(x). So here you're given the values that x can take for the function, which is x >= 0, So all you have to do is sketch the graph of f(x) = x^2+1 as you normally would, but just cut off all the negative values for x.

Thank you!!
Reply 29
Has anyone bought the hodder Gibson model papers ?

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm finding maths really good so far :smile: I got 80% (so an A1) at nat5 last year and was one of the top in my year for it so I'm looking forward to this year. After so many people failing both higher and nat5 in the 2015 exams I'm hoping ours may be slightly easier this year. We are doing differentiation just now and I'm finding it pretty simple. What books do you guys recommend this year?
Original post by allybop99
I'm finding maths really good so far :smile: I got 80% (so an A1) at nat5 last year and was one of the top in my year for it so I'm looking forward to this year. After so many people failing both higher and nat5 in the 2015 exams I'm hoping ours may be slightly easier this year. We are doing differentiation just now and I'm finding it pretty simple. What books do you guys recommend this year?

Getting A1 at Nat 5 only guarantees you a borderline A at higher. Evidently, a guy last year who got 100% in his Nat 5 exam failed his prelim.
Getting A1 at Nat 5 only guarantees you a borderline A at higher. Evidently, a guy last year who got 100% in his Nat 5 exam failed his prelim.

Didn't say it guaranteed me anything. Just saying that it went well last year so I'm looking forward to it this year :smile:
Reply 33
Didn't say it guaranteed me anything. Just saying that it went well last year so I'm looking forward to it this year :smile:

Same I don't think it will be too difficult but it is higher so I don't think anyone will find it a breeze. I just don't like questions which give a story or scenario I just don't want that to come up too much in this years paper. What are you doing in class just now?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Same I don't think it will be too difficult but it is higher so I don't think anyone will find it a breeze. I just don't like questions which give a story or scenario I just don't want that to come up too much in this years paper. What are you doing in class just now?

Posted from TSR Mobile

We are doing differentiation which is going well so far. What about you?
Reply 35
We are doing differentiation which is going well so far. What about you?

Quadratic theory I think

Posted from TSR Mobile
Has anyone bought any books yet? If so, what books and what do do you think of them? Any recommendations?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 37
Original post by spongebob74
Has anyone bought any books yet? If so, what books and what do do you think of them? Any recommendations?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Stay away from the leckie and leckie student book. It doesn't even have answers on the back ??? I get for other subjects you might not need the answers but for maths I expected the full answers.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 38
Is it just me or does anyone else really struggle this year for maths since there are so many types of example questions on each topic! Nat 5 was a piss take compared to higher. The exam was sooo easy but higher sucks :frown:
Reply 39
Original post by Jeff548
Is it just me or does anyone else really struggle this year for maths since there are so many types of example questions on each topic! Nat 5 was a piss take compared to higher. The exam was sooo easy but higher sucks :frown:

I think it's ok, I'm coping with the workload so far but I get you're concerns cause it's so many areas each topic branches out onto. Just don't panic because we haven't even did the whole course, when you do perhaps you'll feel better. What is it you're doing in class just now ?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending