The Student Room Group

Higher Maths CfE 2015-2016

Scroll to see replies

Original post by qasim-98
How's/what is everyone doing in the course ? :biggrin: how did your prelims go? (If you've had them)

Just finishing vectors.. How about you?
Prelims are in under two weeks! :eek:
Have you had yours?
How's/what is everyone doing in the course ? :biggrin: how did your prelims go? (If you've had them)

Finished the course as I done half of it in 4th year, my prelim went dreadful tbh, teachers at my school are being very cautious after last years mess up

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 82
We've just finished wave function and are going on to integration or vectors. Maybe even both might get finished by our prelim which is on February the 12th.

I only need a B for maths this year so I'm a bit more relaxed about it. I'm still going over things though.
Reply 83
This is for the 2015-2016 session of maths...

How are you finding it?
What topic are you studying just now?
What are you expecting to get in this exam?

Feel free to share resources etc, and for those who worry about this years paper being as hard as the last one, don't be xD

Im really not feeling higher maths. Nat 5 was ok but higher just seems so much harder. I think my main problem is when i look at a question and have no idea on where to start. I just did my prelim and dont think ive done that well. Ill update in a week or so with the result
Reply 84
Original post by Lewis.G
Im really not feeling higher maths. Nat 5 was ok but higher just seems so much harder. I think my main problem is when i look at a question and have no idea on where to start. I just did my prelim and dont think ive done that well. Ill update in a week or so with the result

I'm sure you will be fine buddy :smile:
Reply 85
Does anyone have a list of the upcoming topics?
Reply 86
Original post by Lewis.G

So is this to do with problem solving questions or just questions in general?
Reply 87
Original post by Lewis.G

Prelim does not affect your grade in the final, so learn from your mistakes there and do every single past paper that is available. This will sort your difficulty with starting a question, it simply comes with experience, once you've done past papers from 1998-2015 you will be able to recognise the sort of things you need to do in a question very quickly. Have faith and stick in with the subject, it's a really good one to have as a qualification!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 88
Original post by JP298
Prelim does not affect your grade in the final, so learn from your mistakes there and do every single past paper that is available. This will sort your difficulty with starting a question, it simply comes with experience, once you've done past papers from 1998-2015 you will be able to recognise the sort of things you need to do in a question very quickly. Have faith and stick in with the subject, it's a really good one to have as a qualification!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you know sites with past papers up to 1998???
Reply 89
I know a site with past papers to 1995...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 91
Original post by Jeff548
Do you know sites with past papers up to 1998???

Seems like you deleted the post, but here's the working anyway. If you need any more help just quote me !ImageUploadedByStudent Room1453488825.746674.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 92
Original post by JP298
Seems like you deleted the post, but here's the working anyway. If you need any more help just quote me !ImageUploadedByStudent Room1453488825.746674.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey thanks so much, yeah deleted it because I saw my mistake :smile:
Reply 93
Original post by JP298

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey, I had a question:
help 909009090.png

I know what the process is (integrate, sub in the point to find the value of C), but I am having trouble integrating this particular function. Could you please explain me how you integrate this particular function.

And the actual answer from the mark scheme is y=1/2 sin(2x-pi/3) + 3/4
Just that they don't tell you how to do it :frown:
Reply 94
Original post by Jeff548
Hey, I had a question:
help 909009090.png

I know what the process is (integrate, sub in the point to find the value of C), but I am having trouble integrating this particular function. Could you please explain me how you integrate this particular function.

And the actual answer from the mark scheme is y=1/2 sin(2x-pi/3) + 3/4
Just that they don't tell you how to do it :frown:

Hey, yeah you were completely right with the process. Have you covered integrating trig functions in class yet? If not, that may be why you're not too sure about the question. All you do is look at the table of standard integral which is given to you in the exam. I've attached a copy of it. Full solutions are there, I've assumed you know how to do cast diagram etc. If anyone needs any help just quote me!

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1453583639.178258.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1453583645.299960.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 95
Original post by JP298
Hey, yeah you were completely right with the process. Have you covered integrating trig functions in class yet? If not, that may be why you're not too sure about the question. All you do is look at the table of standard integral which is given to you in the exam. I've attached a copy of it. Full solutions are there, I've assumed you know how to do cast diagram etc. If anyone needs any help just quote me!

ImageUploadedByStudent Room1453583639.178258.jpgImageUploadedByStudent Room1453583645.299960.jpg

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey,

Whoah, thanks a bunch! I get that now!!!

I had another question (sorry, in the next few days I may have many questions - my prelims are in a few days now :frown: ).

But yeah here's the next question:
muppeteterueg.png

I know how to do these, but I got different answers and can't spot a mistake so if you could work through it so I could see the answers you get please?

Reply 96
Original post by Jeff548
Hey,

I had another question (sorry, in the next few days I may have many questions - my prelims are in a few days now :frown: ).

muppeteterueg.png

I know how to do these, but I got different answers and can't spot a mistake so if you could work through it so I could see the answers you get please?

Hi again, yes more than happy to help! If you could Post up your working and it lets me see where or if you are going wrong whenever you want help with a question. I've got prelims myself so That would be great!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 97
Original post by Jeff548
Hey,

muppeteterueg.png

Hi again, I've noticed that the questions you've been posting up look like past paper questions. There are fully worked solutions from 1995 on the lark hall link I sent a few posts back. It means you can save time when wanting the solution to a question, rather than waiting for me. But if you're still unsure then just quote me

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 98
Original post by JP298
Hi again, I've noticed that the questions you've been posting up look like past paper questions. There are fully worked solutions from 1995 on the lark hall link I sent a few posts back. It means you can save time when wanting the solution to a question, rather than waiting for me. But if you're still unsure then just quote me

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey, I didn't know they were past papers, I was doing past prelim papers from our school and these were in them. Were you able to get a solution to the question?
Reply 99
Original post by Jeff548
Hey, I didn't know they were past papers, I was doing past prelim papers from our school and these were in them. Were you able to get a solution to the question?

Haven't tried it yet, just waiting for your working 😀

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending