The Student Room Group

Higher Maths CfE 2015-2016

This is for the 2015-2016 session of maths...

How are you finding it?
What topic are you studying just now?
What are you expecting to get in this exam?

Feel free to share resources etc, and for those who worry about this years paper being as hard as the last one, don't be xD

Scroll to see replies

Finding it really good so far.
Just started differentiation.
Hoping to get A1.
What about you?
Reply 2
If anyone needs any help in the Higher Maths course, just quote me. More than happy to help! :biggrin:

(Doing Advanced Higher this year)
Reply 3
Original post by Mystery.
Finding it really good so far.
Just started differentiation.
Hoping to get A1.
What about you?

Im finding it pretty boring this year, it's quite easy (the first part anyway) I'm doing graphs and functions and just finished straight lines. Im hoping for an A too, band 1/2 doesn't really matter to me. Do you have books/study guides that you'd recommend ?
Original post by qasim-98
Im finding it pretty boring this year, it's quite easy (the first part anyway) I'm doing graphs and functions and just finished straight lines. Im hoping for an A too, band 1/2 doesn't really matter to me. Do you have books/study guides that you'd recommend ?

I have the Heinemann Higher Maths (2nd edition) and I would highly recommend it because it's really good with lots of questions for practice.

I wouldn't get the "how to pass" guides if you are aiming for an A as they are quite basic and only enough to get a C in my opinion.
Reply 5
I have the Heinemann Higher Maths (2nd edition) and I would highly recommend it because it's really good with lots of questions for practice.

I wouldn't get the "how to pass" guides if you are aiming for an A as they are quite basic and only enough to get a C in my opinion.

Same book here
Original post by Jeff548
Same book here

Do you think it's good?
Reply 7
absolutely terrified about this year exam because sure sqa won't make it as hard but it will be quite hard still otherwise previous year will complain. Probably also the fact that nothing whatsoever makes sense in higher. Nat 5 was a walk in the park compared to this. I go to a private school, have a tutor, got A at Nat 5 maths, doing higher maths questions everyday and still not coming to me :frown:
Reply 8
Do you think it's good?

I would say so yes, but it seems like a hell lot of questions and sometimes I have heard apparantley the how to pass is better but yeah it is a good textbook definitely
Original post by Jeff548
I would say so yes, but it seems like a hell lot of questions and sometimes I have heard apparantley the how to pass is better but yeah it is a good textbook definitely

Yeah, fair enough.
Reply 10
Maths is supposed to be my 'easy' subject this year, I have a really good tutor but I guess its up to me how the result comes out in the end.. I still dont see the point in maths at all but I need to do so much work for it :frown:
Original post by Jeff548
absolutely terrified about this year exam because sure sqa won't make it as hard but it will be quite hard still otherwise previous year will complain. Probably also the fact that nothing whatsoever makes sense in higher. Nat 5 was a walk in the park compared to this. I go to a private school, have a tutor, got A at Nat 5 maths, doing higher maths questions everyday and still not coming to me :frown:

That sucks, I hope it gets better for you. If you need any help, I'd be happy to help you :smile:
Reply 12
That sucks, I hope it gets better for you. If you need any help, I'd be happy to help you :smile:

Thanks Man, I'll post questions on here when I'm stuck from now on. Thanks for the offer:smile:
Original post by Jeff548
Thanks Man, I'll post questions on here when I'm stuck from now on. Thanks for the offer:smile:

No problem :smile:
I am doing Advanced Higher Maths this year and I also sat CFE higher maths last year. Just give me a shout if you any help!

Aka quote me.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 15
Original post by Higherdude
I am doing Advanced Higher Maths this year and I also sat CFE higher maths last year. Just give me a shout if you any help!

Aka quote me.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you know when you get a function question and it asks for the value it cant be ? the domain or something? I dont know what to do for it?
Reply 16
Original post by qasim-98
Do you know when you get a function question and it asks for the value it cant be ? the domain or something? I dont know what to do for it?

You have to be a bit careful with your terminology. The domain is what you input to the function. The range is the output. I'm guessing you're referring to questions which say 'what values of x cannot be included in the domain of this function?'
What that means is what values of x can you NOT put into the function.
I sat old Higher Maths last year and as far as I can remember, there are only two basic rules you have to remember:
1. You cannot divide by zero.
E.g. 2/(x^2 +6x + 9) = 0
You have a fraction so now the denominator can NEVER be 0. You simply factorize the quadratic and you will find x = 3,-3. So x can't be 3 or -3.
In the exam, you would write this as ' x ≠3 & x ≠-3'.
2. You can't calculate the square root of negative.
E.g. √(x^2-9) = 0
Using the second rule, we know that whatever is inside the square root(in this case, x^2-9) cannot be less than 0.
If you were told to find the values of x which cannot be included on the domain, you will make an equation to find what values of x will make the value inside the square root less than zero, x^2-9 <0(the value can be 0 exactly, so that's why I didn't include the less than or equal to sign).
This is an inequality which you will have to solve. You will be taught about these later on in the course so don't worry too much about it now. However you should get the answer -3< x < 3.

Sorry if it this was a bit lengthy, but this is just from my experience from the old Higher. I'm not sure how much different the New Higher is.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 17
Original post by gwagon
You have to be a bit careful with your terminology. The domain is what you input to the function. The range is the output. I'm guessing you're referring to questions which say 'what values of x cannot be included in the domain of this function?'
What that means is what values of x can you NOT put into the function.
I sat old Higher Maths last year and as far as I can remember, there are only two basic rules you have to remember:
1. You cannot divide by zero.
E.g. 2/(x^2 +6x + 9) = 0
You have a fraction so now the denominator can NEVER be 0. You simply factorize the quadratic and you will find x = 3,-3. So x can't be 3 or -3.
In the exam, you would write this as ' x ≠3 & x ≠-3'.
2. You can't calculate the square root of negative.
E.g. √(x^2-9) = 0
Using the second rule, we know that whatever is inside the square root(in this case, x^2-9) cannot be less than 0.
If you were told to find the values of x which cannot be included on the domain, you will make an equation to find what values of x will make the value inside the square root less than zero, x^2-9 <0(the value can be 0 exactly, so that's why I didn't include the less than or equal to sign).
This is an inequality which you will have to solve. You will be taught about these later on in the course so don't worry too much about it now. However you should get the answer -3< x < 3.

Sorry if it this was a bit lengthy, but this is just from my experience from the old Higher. I'm not sure how much different the New Higher is.

Just got to read this, thanks for this :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
image.jpg Anybody have any idea how I would do part b of this question? Thanks
Reply 19
Original post by the_smiths
image.jpg Anybody have any idea how I would do part b of this question? Thanks

Find the equation of both medians, and solve them either simultaneously/ set them = to one another, either ways fine.

Then find x or y, and plug the one you find back into one of the original equations to get the other coordinate

It's a show that question, so you need a statement in the end to summarise your working.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending