The Student Room Group

Do I need physics for engineering ?

I am applying to uni soon, and I do not have physics at as level but I am still considering engineering. Need help with the following questions,
UCL do not require for Civil, is this the case for all unis? What engineering courses do require physics and which do not?What are the best unis for Civil engineering?
Original post by Ninjeh
I am applying to uni soon, and I do not have physics at as level but I am still considering engineering. Need help with the following questions,
UCL do not require for Civil, is this the case for all unis? What engineering courses do require physics and which do not?What are the best unis for Civil engineering?

Almost every university require physics for engineering. However if you do further maths then some universities including Birmingham accept it. However if you don't do further maths/physics then there will be a real struggle trying to get into any top uni. Unless if you decide to do a foundation year where they teach you maths and physics in 1 year which will allow you to actually study an engineering course you want.
Well I am starting chemical engineering this year at Nottingham and I didn't do A level physics. Many unis I looked at and applied to did not require physics and required maths and chemistry or physics. I'm not sure about other engineering courses but I'm thinking that most other engineering courses will require physics at most unis.
Original post by Ninjeh

UCL is pretty unique in that respect, not having Physics is going to shut out most good universities, unfortunately. You'll have to have a look around at which universities or courses don't ask for Physics but you're not going to find many, certainly not at the calibre of UCL. The only potential exceptions I can think of are for more sciencey engineering courses like Biomedical Engineering or Chemical Engineering, but even then I think a lot of them would want to see Physics.
Original post by Plagioclase
UCL is pretty unique in that respect, not having Physics is going to shut out most good universities, unfortunately. You'll have to have a look around at which universities or courses don't ask for Physics but you're not going to find many, certainly not at the calibre of UCL. The only potential exceptions I can think of are for more sciencey engineering courses like Biomedical Engineering or Chemical Engineering, but even then I think a lot of them would want to see Physics.

Petroleum Engineering Manchester accepts Geology as a science but at AAA standard including Maths.
Original post by Semaphore
Petroleum Engineering Manchester accepts Geology as a science but at AAA standard including Maths.

Petroleum Engineering's pretty different from the more traditional branches of Engineering though. As I said, for the more sciencey offshoots of Engineering like Biomed (and indeed petroleum), the entry requirements will be different but for the traditional branches that most people go for (i.e. Mechanical, Civil, Aeronautics, Electronics), Physics will be highly desirable at the very least.
Original post by Plagioclase
Petroleum Engineering's pretty different from the more traditional branches of Engineering though. As I said, for the more sciencey offshoots of Engineering like Biomed (and indeed petroleum), the entry requirements will be different but for the traditional branches that most people go for (i.e. Mechanical, Civil, Aeronautics, Electronics), Physics will be highly desirable at the very least.

Yes.
I do chem eng and didn't do physics. Maths is compulsory for most unis

Posted from TSR Mobile
I think you'll find an engineering career difficult without a good understanding of physics.
Reply 9
Original post by The_Blade
I do chem eng and didn't do physics. Maths is compulsory for most unis

Posted from TSR Mobile

Do you struggle with the degree not having done physics?
Original post by Ninjeh
Do you struggle with the degree not having done physics?

Not first year at least but people who have done physics will have forgotten it when they go 2nd year

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest