The Student Room Group

Personal Statement dilemma - different courses, with elements that others don't have

Hi there guys and gals, I'm a little stuck and could do with some advice and/or help.

I've decided on the 5 universities that I plan on putting down in my UCAS application, and am working on my personal statement. I've got a few ideas on what to include and have done plenty of background reading on how to put together a successful personal statement, but...

Some of the courses I'm putting down are slightly different, and so I'm not sure how I should go about putting together a suitable personal statement. Here are the courses I'm looking at (with the respective Universities):

1) Politics, Philosophy and Economics (Oxford) -
2) International Relations & Maths (St Andrews) -
3) International Relations & Politics (Bath) -
4) International Relations & Politics (Exeter)
5) International Relations and quantitative methods (Edinburgh) -

All of the courses cover International Relations - the area that really interests me (PPE at Oxford has several entire modules on it), and Politics to an extent - again an area that really interests. But not all of the courses offer a joint honours with a maths related subject (economics, maths, or quantitative methods for example - areas that would be quite useful given what I want to do career-wise regarding background knowledge and direct-usefulness, but not as exciting or interesting as the other 2 areas previously mentioned), and as you have to write about each aspect of the joint honours degree, and I can only write one personal statement; how would I go about writing a personal statement for these courses (and universities) whereby I talk about all aspects of the courses, without talking about something that one or two of my University choices don't offer? For example: talking about Economics when Bath doesn't offer that with Politics & IR. I've done some research into this and have found that personal statements like this have been written, but it is pretty difficult to pull off. The only thing is, I can't find any examples.

Also, St Andrews offer IR with Economics, and although I would enjoy maths more (I'd still enjoy doing economics don't worry haha), would you recommend putting this course down instead - idk, perhaps to make writing my personal statement a little easier?

Any help would be greatly appreciated
Cheers
Xavier

PS: apologies for the rather poorly orchestrated structure, any poor spelling or grammar; I'm just regurgitating a conversation I had with my parents haha
What about other PPE courses?
If you like Politics and are interested in Economics, why not apply for Politics with Economics at Bath rather than Politics and IR? Nearly all the units are the same and you can still take plenty of IR units.
Reply 3
Original post by *Interrobang*
What about other PPE courses?
looked at some of them, warwick offer a good one for example that covers a lot of IR based stuff (but I preferred Exeter as a Uni for me), however the majority of other PPE courses don't cover IR in the same depth as I'd like/as is found in IR courses, and since IR is the bit I enjoy the most I wouldn't really want to cross it off unless it was absolutely necessary, thanks though!
Reply 4
Original post by RibenaRockstar
If you like Politics and are interested in Economics, why not apply for Politics with Economics at Bath rather than Politics and IR? Nearly all the units are the same and you can still take plenty of IR units.

Just looked at the course itself, that doesn't look like a bad idea at all! I'll run through it and compare the 2 courses, although from what I can see the optional modules I'd want to study are all ready options! Cheers
Original post by Xavier617
Hi there guys and gals, I'm a little stuck and could do with some advice and/or help.

I've decided on the 5 universities that I plan on putting down in my UCAS application, and am working on my personal statement. I've got a few ideas on what to include and have done plenty of background reading on how to put together a successful personal statement, but...

Some of the courses I'm putting down are slightly different, and so I'm not sure how I should go about putting together a suitable personal statement. Here are the courses I'm looking at (with the respective Universities)

I study in a private international school where representatives from top British universities often visit us in function rooms in hotels and they always tell us the same thing. What matters most are the grades, not the Personal Statement.

So focus on getting the grades.
If the courses you are applying for overlap in content, but not in name then focus on areas of study rather than subject names when writing your PS
Reply 7
If the courses you are applying for overlap in content, but not in name then focus on areas of study rather than subject names when writing your PS

Okay that sounds like a sensible thing to do, how about with regards to the economics/maths based aspects being present in some courses and not in others? I still have to address each part of the degree as far as I know :/ Any recommendations on that?

Thanks for the input by the way, fully appreciate it
Okay that sounds like a sensible thing to do, how about with regards to the economics/maths based aspects being present in some courses and not in others? I still have to address each part of the degree as far as I know :/ Any recommendations on that?

Thanks for the input by the way, fully appreciate it

That one is more difficult if the elements of economics are completely different, but try and find commonalities and talk about those areas if possible
Reply 9
That one is more difficult if the elements of economics are completely different, but try and find commonalities and talk about those areas if possible

Okay will do. I've checked some of the optional modules at the universities with the courses that don't immediately involve economics or other related maths subjects and they offer economics-based modules so I'd assume I could use common links between these optional modules and the compulsory economics modules at the other unis?
Okay will do. I've checked some of the optional modules at the universities with the courses that don't immediately involve economics or other related maths subjects and they offer economics-based modules so I'd assume I could use common links between these optional modules and the compulsory economics modules at the other unis?

I'm assuming you mean modules that you could take? If so, then that sounds fine
Mine is between dietetics & biomed lol. There's no such thing as BSC clinical science?

What is your career plan?
Isn't it same as biomedical science ?
Mate a word of advice GEM is very competitive .

My career plan is either become a dietician but if I do biomed most likely become a scientist

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending