The Student Room Group
Undergraduate Centre, Oxford Brookes University
Oxford Brookes University
Oxford

Urgent- Changing Halls

Hey,

I put Oxford Brookes as my insurance and had chosen my accommodation choice pretty much as soon as I was sent the email. I've been placed in Crescent Hall which was probably the last option I had chosen in my list. It's so frustrating seeing as it's not a en-suite and kind of far from the main campus. The e-mail says you can't really change now.

I so badly want to be placed in Clive Booth, Cheney or Paul Kent. Any advise on what to do now?

Thanks!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Undergraduate Centre, Oxford Brookes University
Oxford Brookes University
Oxford
Reply 2
I don't think there's anything much to do. This late in Summer they can't locate everyone in their first choices... But in the e-mail I got they say "If you are unhappy with your room allocation after you arrive we open a room swap process from mid-October." So I think only in October you can start querying about the possibility of changing rooms as by that time some students might want to change theirs too so they could live with their new friends, or closer to their campus and etc... But right now probably the only thing you can do is be happy you have a place to live in as others would take your room in a snap if they were offered it.
If you really dislike you offer this much, decline it and seek for private accommodation...
Even I was allocated to Crescent Hall and I'm a postgrad... Not sure what would I suppose to do after 38weeks when the contract ends and I still have few months of studying left :s-smilie:
Reply 3
Original post by Big_Fish
I don't think there's anything much to do. This late in Summer they can't locate everyone in their first choices... But in the e-mail I got they say "If you are unhappy with your room allocation after you arrive we open a room swap process from mid-October." So I think only in October you can start querying about the possibility of changing rooms as by that time some students might want to change theirs too so they could live with their new friends, or closer to their campus and etc... But right now probably the only thing you can do is be happy you have a place to live in as others would take your room in a snap if they were offered it.
If you really dislike you offer this much, decline it and seek for private accommodation...
Even I was allocated to Crescent Hall and I'm a postgrad... Not sure what would I suppose to do after 38weeks when the contract ends and I still have few months of studying left :s-smilie:

Thanks! And you're right i've seen some insurance choice students with no place in halls, so technically I should be grateful. And i've had a look into private accommodation and found Dorset as well as Alice house, but there all booked. I should have looked into them along time ago. Tbh the only think that sucks is that i'm going to have to share the bathroom.

Btw what are you studying?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by kmahz
Thanks! And you're right i've seen some insurance choice students with no place in halls, so technically I should be grateful. And i've had a look into private accommodation and found Dorset as well as Alice house, but there all booked. I should have looked into them along time ago. Tbh the only think that sucks is that i'm going to have to share the bathroom.

Btw what are you studying?

Posted from TSR Mobile

I somehow managed to book Dorset house even though it was all booked at the time I've applied to get it... Someone probably cancelled, so you could still write yourself into a waiting list. You never know... Would have loved to live in Alice house :frown: But was too late as well...
During my first year in Uni (in London) I had to share 5 showers/toilets and 2 kitchens with 23 people :smile: Don't think it could be any worse than that :P
I'm gonna study Publishing.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 5
I somehow managed to book Dorset house even though it was all booked at the time I've applied to get it... Someone probably cancelled, so you could still write yourself into a waiting list. You never know... Would have loved to live in Alice house :frown: But was too late as well...
During my first year in Uni (in London) I had to share 5 showers/toilets and 2 kitchens with 23 people :smile: Don't think it could be any worse than that :P
I'm gonna study Publishing.

God you are so lucky! Is it a studio flat or shared? And I guess i'm just going to have to stick to what i've been given. And wow that's awesome, i'll be studying computer science

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kmahz
Hey,

I put Oxford Brookes as my insurance and had chosen my accommodation choice pretty much as soon as I was sent the email. I've been placed in Crescent Hall which was probably the last option I had chosen in my list. It's so frustrating seeing as it's not a en-suite and kind of far from the main campus. The e-mail says you can't really change now.

I so badly want to be placed in Clive Booth, Cheney or Paul Kent. Any advise on what to do now?

Thanks!

I was in Crescent Halls for my first year, its not as bad as people think it is. Okay you don't get a en suite, but you have two showers and two toilets between 6-7 of you. It is cleaned twice a week for you, if you have an en suite you have to clean that yourself :tongue:. For the price of not having an en suite i would do it again, the rooms in Clive Booth and Paul Kent in my opinion where over priced when i went to Brookes so they must be dramatically over priced now.

They are not actually that far either, the bus takes 15-20mins traffic permitting, it just becomes part of your day, they were playing around with the frequency and timings of the U5 when i was there and it was a nightmare to start with but they got it in a really good timetable, you also get a free bus pass and all Brookes buses.

The policy when i was there was no changing in the first 6 weeks of moving in then you can apply to fill spaces in other halls. I think you will find that you will be settled and want to stay.
Reply 7
Original post by kmahz
God you are so lucky! Is it a studio flat or shared? And I guess i'm just going to have to stick to what i've been given. And wow that's awesome, i'll be studying computer science

Posted from TSR Mobile

Applied for a studio, but sadly was put into a shared flat... But am happy to have somewhere to live as a week ago was constantly close to tears :colondollar:
Reply 8
Original post by tom_tom_tom
I was in Crescent Halls for my first year, its not as bad as people think it is. Okay you don't get a en suite, but you have two showers and two toilets between 6-7 of you. It is cleaned twice a week for you, if you have an en suite you have to clean that yourself :tongue:. For the price of not having an en suite i would do it again, the rooms in Clive Booth and Paul Kent in my opinion where over priced when i went to Brookes so they must be dramatically over priced now.

They are not actually that far either, the bus takes 15-20mins traffic permitting, it just becomes part of your day, they were playing around with the frequency and timings of the U5 when i was there and it was a nightmare to start with but they got it in a really good timetable, you also get a free bus pass and all Brookes buses.

The policy when i was there was no changing in the first 6 weeks of moving in then you can apply to fill spaces in other halls. I think you will find that you will be settled and want to stay.

Thanks! It doesn't sound too bad but honestly i hate, like really hate dirty toilets. Let's just hope it stays clean in between the cleaning days. Oh and is it social or quite?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Applied for a studio, but sadly was put into a shared flat... But am happy to have somewhere to live as a week ago was constantly close to tears :colondollar:

I called in today and there all booked. Oh well it's better than having no where to stay. It looks like a nice place to stay

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kmahz

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why didn't you opt for Wheatley if you are studying computer science? Yes there are shared bathrooms but 2 showers between 8 has never been a probem to the students I know.
If your doing comp sci you aren't based at the main campus anyway, you'll be at Wheatley meaning all of the halls you mentioned are miles away. The bus you'll need to get to Wheatley for 9am can take well over an hour sometimes. The traffic is a complete joke and last year there was road works making the situation even worse.

I was at Paul Kent and I was pleasantly surprised by Crescent. The kitchens are huge compared to what we had to put up with and Crescent is by far the cheapest hall. Everybody there seemed really sound too. There is an also the added bonus of being the first people on the U5X to Wheatley. By the time it get's to Paul Kent and Slade there aren't many seats left. Nobody I knew had anything bad to say about Crescent except people who had never been there. I know girls from Clive Booth Non ensuite who didn't mind about sharing too.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by kmahz
Thanks! It doesn't sound too bad but honestly i hate, like really hate dirty toilets. Let's just hope it stays clean in between the cleaning days. Oh and is it social or quite?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Honestly it's not that bad. I knew people who hated the idea of sharing but you get used to it pretty quickly. :smile:.

That's a subjective question really and all depends on who is there. My year there was really social. The blocks are quite small around 4-6 flats in each depending on if your on the newer or older side. So people did move amongst blocks. Saying this it can be the case in any halls it's pot luck if it happens or not. Just depends on that people that are thrown together. :smile:

Do you have any other questions?
Reply 13
Original post by Muttley79
Why didn't you opt for Wheatley if you are studying computer science? Yes there are shared bathrooms but 2 showers between 8 has never been a probem to the students I know.

I didn't really research or actually think about where i'll be studying tbh, just assumed that i'll be in Headington campus, guess not. And regardless of which accommodation i wanted i wouldn't get cos OB was my insurance choice and they gave me a random hall. Not much I can change now

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by RoundTrip
If your doing comp sci you aren't based at the main campus anyway, you'll be at Wheatley meaning all of the halls you mentioned are miles away. The bus you'll need to get to Wheatley for 9am can take well over an hour sometimes. The traffic is a complete joke and last year there was road works making the situation even worse.

I was at Paul Kent and I was pleasantly surprised by Crescent. The kitchens are huge compared to what we had to put up with and Crescent is by far the cheapest hall. Everybody there seemed really sound too. There is an also the added bonus of being the first people on the U5X to Wheatley. By the time it get's to Paul Kent and Slade there aren't many seats left. Nobody I knew had anything bad to say about Crescent except people who had never been there. I know girls from Clive Booth Non ensuite who didn't mind about sharing too.

I just assumed I would be in the main campus and just stuck to researching the accommodation close to it, which was really stupid of me. Now thats going to cost me waking up early to get there. And hopefully i'll get used to the shared bathrooms

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by kmahz
I just assumed I would be in the main campus and just stuck to researching the accommodation close to it, which was really stupid of me. Now thats going to cost me waking up early to get there. And hopefully i'll get used to the shared bathrooms

Posted from TSR Mobile

Don't worry, most people based at Wheatley don't actually live at Wheatley because it's a hellhole. You will almost certainly meet people on your course in Crescent and nearby halls.
Original post by kmahz
I didn't really research or actually think about where i'll be studying tbh, just assumed that i'll be in Headington campus, guess not. And regardless of which accommodation i wanted i wouldn't get cos OB was my insurance choice and they gave me a random hall. Not much I can change now

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes but you might be able to swap to Wheatley which would be far more convenient. You get a free bus pass so don't worry about being 'out in the sticks'.
Reply 17
Original post by kmahz

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hey, I'm going to Brookes to study history and I was placed in Lady Spencer Churchill Hall - which is on the Wheatley Campus. It's really annoying for me because all of the history stuff is on the main campus and I really don't want to have to commute in all the way from Wheatley every day.
I'd be more than happy to swap with you in to Crescent Hall, because it's a little bit closer to the main campus for me and you'll be able to stay on the same campus as where your course is taught so it will be loads easier for you as well!
Original post by RoundTrip
Don't worry, most people based at Wheatley don't actually live at Wheatley because it's a hellhole. You will almost certainly meet people on your course in Crescent and nearby halls.

It is NOT a helhole - have you lived there?
Original post by Muttley79
It is NOT a helhole - have you lived there?

No, but I'm based at Wheatley. Wheatley campus is a complete ****hole except for the engineering block. I have never heard anybody say anything good about it, or defend it until now. The only advantage to living at Wheatley is you avoid the commute in (if your course is based in Wheatley.)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending