The Student Room Group

Poor GCSE results!!!

Okay so i got 1A 5B 3C, will these grades affect my uni application for a russel group university? Iwant to work hard at alevel and compensate for these grades but i just want to know if these grades will be okay for a russel group uni

Scroll to see replies

Original post by sarah1001
Okay so i got 1A 5B 3C, will these grades affect my uni application for a russel group university? Iwant to work hard at alevel and compensate for these grades but i just want to know if these grades will be okay for a russel group uni

I can just say it might depend a lot on the course you'd like to study.Might.
To be honest with you, I don't think these grades will cut it. You need mostly A*-A grades to be accepted into russels group, in both GCSEs and A-Levels. Perhaps you could retake?

Hey I got similar grades to you I hope this thread helps you, because we're both going through the same thing ild love to stay in contact so we can motivate each other throughout the year😊
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3547439

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by cathartic
Hey I got similar grades to you I hope this thread helps you, because we're both going through the same thing ild love to stay in contact so we can motivate each other throughout the year😊
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=3547439

Posted from TSR Mobile

Heyy, yeah it really helped. I'd love to stay in contact, i will private message you. Thankyou :smile:
Reply 5

Those grades would be absolutely fine for most Russel Groups. They're by no means 'poor', either.

My cousin got similar grades to you and is now studying at UCL. Work hard in your A Levels and you'll be fine.
Reply 6
Original post by meowoof
Those grades would be absolutely fine for most Russel Groups. They're by no means 'poor', either.

My cousin got similar grades to you and is now studying at UCL. Work hard in your A Levels and you'll be fine.

Thankyouu so much :smile:
Reply 7
Thankyouu so much :smile:

No worries! Don't get too het up about GCSEs, you'd be surprised how little most universities care about them. A strong personal statement and good AS results are far more important.
Seriously, this society is destroying teens. These results are great.
(edited 8 years ago)

Those grades are more than good enough for nearly all russel group universities. Seriously, you should be proud of those grades. Anyway, my grades were far worse and I still manage to get offers from Russell Group universities.

I got 2A's, 2B's, 3C's, 1D and a E. Also i was doing a BTEC instead of traditional A-Levels. I still manage to get offers to study Engineering at the University of Liverpool, University of Manchester, University of Nottingham, Lancaster university and Aston.
(edited 8 years ago)
I got no A's at GCSE and and got a place at Glasgow University. Which according the Guardian is 13th for entry standards and a Russell Group University. As long as you get ABB at A level you will be seriously fine. Unless you're aiming for Oxbridge/UCL/LSE. :smile:

My GCSE's were 5B, 4C and 1D.
I got offer from Manchester, Nottingham, Birmingham, Newcastle and Glasgow.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 11
Original post by Reformed2010
I got no A's at GCSE and and got a place at Glasgow University. Which according the Guardian is 13th for entry standards and a Russell Group University. As long as you get ABB at A level you will be seriously fine. Unless you're aiming for Oxbridge/UCL/LSE. :smile:

My GCSE's were 5B, 4C and 1D.
I got offer from Manchester, Nottingham, Birmingham, Newcastle and Glasgow.

oh wow, congratulations, may i ask what a-level grades you got and what you are studying?

last year i got 1 more A, 2 more Cs and one less B than u
this year i got 3 As and 1 B (as level) use your frustration as motivation and work hard i did the exact same, ALOT of my friends who had MUCH MUCH better grades ended up getting kicked out of sixth form for not preforming well. In a sense i was lucky to mess up GCSEs because i would of not put the hours into as levels if great great in GCSEs good luck and work hard
Reply 13
Original post by jonnypdot
last year i got 1 more A, 2 more Cs and one less B than u
this year i got 3 As and 1 B (as level) use your frustration as motivation and work hard i did the exact same, ALOT of my friends who had MUCH MUCH better grades ended up getting kicked out of sixth form for not preforming well. In a sense i was lucky to mess up GCSEs because i would of not put the hours into as levels if great great in GCSEs good luck and work hard

Thats true tbh, thankyou soo muchh!! Really helped x

This is really relevant to me as I achieved a grade C in maths and now I'm worried about getting into a Russell group uni too
Reply 15
Original post by Bibliophile101
This is really relevant to me as I achieved a grade C in maths and now I'm worried about getting into a Russell group uni too

I achieved a B in maths and english which is the minimum requirment for most russell group uni's so i would advise you to retake maths to try and get a B or above :biggrin:
I achieved a B in maths and english which is the minimum requirment for most russell group uni's so i would advise you to retake maths to try and get a B or above :biggrin:

Are you sure about this? Can you show me where it says this or do you mean in reference to a particular course? At the very least "most" is the wrong word to use.
Reply 17

Original post by Camerooni
To be honest with you, I don't think these grades will cut it. You need mostly A*-A grades to be accepted into russels group, in both GCSEs and A-Levels. Perhaps you could retake?

please dont give out **** advice. i got offers from bristol, imperial, UCL and bath with 5As and 6Bs at GCSEs and AABD at AS-Level. those grades you got are absolutely fine. just make sure you do well in your A-Levels.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Basiji
please dont give out **** advice. i got offers from bristol, imperial, UCL and bath with 5As and 6Bs at GCSEs and AABD at AS-Level. those grades you got are absolutely fine. just make sure you do well in your A-Levels.

well done, may i ask what offer u accepted and what course u did
Reply 19

Your GCSE results are good in my opinion.. Now it really depends on how well you perform on a-level's and if your grades match the minimum required amount of ucas points needed to gain access into your desired university and course you wish to study..

Quick Reply

Latest