The Student Room Group

advice for sad girl

ok, perhaps this sounds silly but i am feeling really down about it. Im on a gap year with my boyfriend and we decided to be in london for a couple of months to work so we can go travel. we are living in his parents house (my parents live in the netherlands) and they are quite strict and disciplined. we have been here for almost 6 weeks now and my boyfriend has a job which starts tomorrow but i have found nothing. i have been to a couple of interviews but i havent gotten anything. it feels like i have wasted quite a large portion of my gap year searching unsuccessfully for a job and i feel like a failure since i havent found one. i expected i would find one immediately but that wasnt so.
what should i do? i have handed out my cv to apply for basically all sales assistant positions within central london and i think the reason i am so unsuccessful is that i have no prior experience in sales, but what other job can i apply for?
ahh what should i do? this is really getting me down.
Reply 1
If your main object is to earn money, then be unscrupulous and try *everything* even McDonalds - for a couple of months anyone could hack it. Also try hotel work - bar work, cleaning, reception work mainly. I was taken as a hotel receptionist with no experience in that area at all, was kept on for my entire summer holidays this year, and was asked to come back this Christmas - not bad for someone with no prior experience! Above all keep persevering...good luck :smile:
captainfloyd
ok, perhaps this sounds silly but i am feeling really down about it. Im on a gap year with my boyfriend and we decided to be in london for a couple of months to work so we can go travel. we are living in his parents house (my parents live in the netherlands) and they are quite strict and disciplined. we have been here for almost 6 weeks now and my boyfriend has a job which starts tomorrow but i have found nothing. i have been to a couple of interviews but i havent gotten anything. it feels like i have wasted quite a large portion of my gap year searching unsuccessfully for a job and i feel like a failure since i havent found one. i expected i would find one immediately but that wasnt so.
what should i do? i have handed out my cv to apply for basically all sales assistant positions within central london and i think the reason i am so unsuccessful is that i have no prior experience in sales, but what other job can i apply for?
ahh what should i do? this is really getting me down.

Don't let it get you down, your free from ALL obligations for about the only year of your adult life!! (Apart from those parent's of his.. they sound awful!)

If you've got any work experience at all, I reckon you should go to a few agencies and get some work like that - sign up to a few, and keep sending your CV out yourself. You're sure to get work eventually!

Latest

Trending

Trending