The Student Room Group

starting uni at 20!!!!! worried

Scroll to see replies

Original post by danadd9
I started at age 22, and my flatmate in halls was 36 - no one was bothered! It's all in your head, just go and enjoy yourself

im more excited now!!
Reply 21
Original post by Secretnerd123
i took a gap year and then went to uni but hated the course so left. now im 20 and going to a different uni and studying a different course. most people will be 18 and im worried ill feel too old even though its only 2 years. what to do?

OMG! I'm going to start an access course this September and i'm 19. So by the time i'm going to uni i'll be 20! And i'm Somali LOL
I also have this fear of starting uni too old but thing with me is I look like a 17 year old :tongue:
Just don't tell anyone your age UNLESS they ask LOL
What do you want people to tell you to do? You can't shave two years off of your life and go back to 18 so you either get on with it or you make it a big deal for yourself. I started uni at 20 and it hasn't made a difference to my experience at all.
I'm the same. I don't think there is anything to worry about, to be honest.
Honestly nobody cares lol. There are many mature students at university. One of my flatmates was 20 when we started and nobody even saw him any different as most of us were 18/19.
21 is when you considered a mature student. I'm 19 and my first friendship circle consisted 21yo. I told them I was 21 and they believed me imao

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm 28 and starting uni. Who cares? Age isn't an issue, in my eyes, we're all there for the same reasons.
Relax! You'll enjoy uni no matter your age, you've made the choice to be there. I'm sure it's just a general anxiety which every new uni student has about some detail of this huge change.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by marzzy1911
I did the same as you. I took a gap year, then went into Nursing last year but I hated it and left midway. I'm now 20, and starting uni in september to do Computer Science. But from my experience, I'm pretty sure there would be lots of mature students and people of the same age as us! Don't worry too much about it. You are still young, just enjoy! :smile:

If you don't mind me asking -what did you dislike about your nursing course :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 28
27 here, I have friends on my degree who are 18, 30 and 40. 20 is nothing, I doubt you'll even notice the very slight age difference :smile:.
Reply 29
i took a gap year and then went to uni but hated the course so left. now im 20 and going to a different uni and studying a different course. most people will be 18 and im worried ill feel too old even though its only 2 years. what to do?

20 is very young. In my course we've had people from 18-50. Not exaggerating either. My advice would be to not think about it too much, when you start you will find that everything is fine :smile:

I went to Newman btw, feel free to ask any questions.

T.

It's a mixture of age groups, so you'll be fine.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Lol. 20. You're young. I'm 20 and I'm starting uni in October. We're still young.
yeah maybe im overreacting

I would say so I went to uni at 20 and it was fine
That is literally not even noticeable. I started at 22. Almost 25 now. Nobody even knew until I mentioned getting IDd on my 24th birthday. You'll have a blast.
What's there to worry about? You have an opportunity to interact with younger and older people. Uni is a different learning environment, everyone is there because they want to be there and I'm sure they will be focused enough on their own course instead of picking at your age. Plus you won't be the only 20 year old there, there will be others the same age or if not older than you. So yeah stay calm :smile:
(edited 8 years ago)
Loool - I am also going to sart uni when I am 20. I am 19 now but when I start in university of Manchester I will be 20😎😎 BTW I am Arab

Posted from TSR Mobile
18-22, maybe older depending on what you look like, looks all the same to me. Don't worry :smile:
I'll be starting uni at 25. Just to put things in perspective! I'm not worried, nor should you be!
Btw which university you going to and which course you pick up??

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 39
no biggie, learn from mistakes . your over thinking it

Quick Reply

Latest