The Student Room Group

starting uni at 20!!!!! worried

i took a gap year and then went to uni but hated the course so left. now im 20 and going to a different uni and studying a different course. most people will be 18 and im worried ill feel too old even though its only 2 years. what to do?

Scroll to see replies

Starting uni at 21 here ^^ don't worry about it, seriously. The age gap is not terrible whatsoever, I'm friends with people aged 16-34
It really won't make a difference other than you may find some peoples immaturity a bit annoying. If you didn't tell people they wouldn't even notice :smile: (I'm 23 and at uni)
Reply 3
Why are all asians worried about going to un when your in your 20s ?? I dont understand no one gives a **** about age when your in uni just enjoy yourself your young 😀😊
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Remz00
Why are all asians worried about going to un when your in your 20s ?? I dont understand no one gives a f u c k about age when your in uni just enjoy yourself your young 😀😊

im somali lol and i shall!
Original post by Redmark
Starting uni at 21 here ^^ don't worry about it, seriously. The age gap is not terrible whatsoever, I'm friends with people aged 16-34

yeah maybe im overreacting
I did the same as you. I took a gap year, then went into Nursing last year but I hated it and left midway. I'm now 20, and starting uni in september to do Computer Science. But from my experience, I'm pretty sure there would be lots of mature students and people of the same age as us! Don't worry too much about it. You are still young, just enjoy! :smile:
Original post by Hevachan
It really won't make a difference other than you may find some peoples immaturity a bit annoying. If you didn't tell people they wouldn't even notice :smile: (I'm 23 and at uni)

thank you for your response
Original post by Secretnerd123
i took a gap year and then went to uni but hated the course so left. now im 20 and going to a different uni and studying a different course. most people will be 18 and im worried ill feel too old even though its only 2 years. what to do?

I'm seen this post so many times and honestly, it's a silly and common misconception that people have. Age doesn't affect the experience you'll have at university. I have 20, 23 and 26 year olds on my course and it not really a factor everybody talks about or takes notice of.

You will be fine! Just have fun and got to university as usual!
yeah maybe im overreacting

Seriously it's fine, I understand you're nervous starting uni and I am too. So just keep it cool and you'll be fine :smile:
Original post by marzzy1911
I did the same as you. I took a gap year, then went into Nursing last year but I hated it and left midway. I'm now 20, and starting uni in september to do Computer Science. But from my experience, I'm pretty sure there would be lots of mature students and people of the same age as us! Don't worry too much about it. You are still young, just enjoy! :smile:

woah we're in the same boat except the courses. hope we both have fun! i really hope i meet people aged 20-21
Reply 11
Im 29 and starting in September. Just think of it as you have had more experience than the others and you will possibly be the person that people come to for advice etc. It's a positive thing .
a lot of people are going to be 19/20/21 when they start so don't even think twice about it, i'll be 20 within the first few weeks of starting :biggrin:
I finished high school at 20(I started school at the age of 8), I took a gap year and at the age of 21 I started med school. I am now 22 without a few months and I am sitting the IMAT next month to start med school again in Italy. I do not feel old, a few years have no impact on your whole life especially when you put in perspective the fact that you lost these years studying for a better life.
woah we're in the same boat except the courses. hope we both have fun! i really hope i meet people aged 20-21

I'm sure you will! Good luck with your course xx
Overreacting :/

My best friend at uni was 21 when she started uni as she had to work for three years to support herself.
Original post by Muttley79
My best friend at uni was 21 when she started uni as she had to work for three years to support herself.

good on her! how fid she adjust?
good on her! how fid she adjust?

She was fine - probably found a few people immature especially some of the girls from single gender schools who could not cope with men around.
I started at age 22, and my flatmate in halls was 36 - no one was bothered! It's all in your head, just go and enjoy yourself

Quick Reply

Latest