The Student Room Group

Should I apply?

Hey
For the past couple of the weeks whether I should apply for computing science Cambridge? I got five A's in my highers. I'm currently sitting the advanced classes that are required so there's no problem on that front. Though I don't go to a school that has produced any oxbridge students (or I couldn't find any record of them) and I'm not 100% sure how I would pay the fees, or even living costs especially since the colleges don't like students working while studying. Should I try for Cambridge or just look else where?
Original post by PolarBearSaviour
Hey
For the past couple of the weeks whether I should apply for computing science Cambridge? I got five A's in my highers. I'm currently sitting the advanced classes that are required so there's no problem on that front. Though I don't go to a school that has produced any oxbridge students (or I couldn't find any record of them) and I'm not 100% sure how I would pay the fees, or even living costs especially since the colleges don't like students working while studying. Should I try for Cambridge or just look else where?

Cambridge tuition fees are the same as every other university, so the money shouldnt really be an issue, as its the same wherever you go, and you get the same student loans regardless of what uni you go to. In fact, Oxbridge are actually highly funded due to their success and high attainment, so they are actually able to offer BETTER financial support (loans, bursaries, scholarships, etc) than most other universities in the country. If money is the only factor that is making you doubt Cambridge, you should definitely apply there (if your grades and personal statement are good enough, obviously). Plenty of uni students have jobs while they study, and Cambridge certainly wouldn't reject you on the basis of you having a part time job. In fact, I don't think they'd care much at all, as long as you're putting your studies as your main priority and not missing classes for work. Good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by chloetraynor
Cambridge tuition fees are the same as every other university, so the money shouldnt really be an issue, as its the same wherever you go, and you get the same student loans regardless of what uni you go to. In fact, Oxbridge are actually highly funded due to their success and high attainment, so they are actually able to offer BETTER financial support (loans, bursaries, scholarships, etc) than most other universities in the country. If money is the only factor that is making you doubt Cambridge, you should definitely apply there (if your grades and personal statement are good enough, obviously). Plenty of uni students have jobs while they study, and Cambridge certainly wouldn't reject you on the basis of you having a part time job. In fact, I don't think they'd care much at all, as long as you're putting your studies as your main priority and not missing classes for work. Good luck!

You can't work during term time at Cambridge beyond the odd hour or three.

But college accommodation costs are actually low not least because the terms are very short and you only pay for term time. You can work outside term time, especially during the long summer holiday.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Also, college and university have a range of jobs you can do during term-times, too, like working as ACCESS officer, helping with telephone funding campaign or on Open Days, etc, etc.
I don't know anything but from an open day at Oxford a student in his second year said they would support you financially so that you don't need to depend on a job.
All I know.
Original post by chloetraynor

Ahh yeah but I live in Scotland so wouldn't have to pay tution fees if I stayed within Scotland which is the only thing making me pause but I'm curious to see if I could get in. I may go for it. You can just be an academic student right? You don't have to be a head boy, star of the rugby club and saving children from burning building while reinventing the computer to be more efficent and easier to code based on a new maths theory you worked on over the weekend right?
Ahh yeah but I live in Scotland so wouldn't have to pay tution fees if I stayed within Scotland which is the only thing making me pause but I'm curious to see if I could get in. I may go for it. You can just be an academic student right? You don't have to be a head boy, star of the rugby club and saving children from burning building while reinventing the computer to be more efficent and easier to code based on a new maths theory you worked on over the weekend right?

Your academic ability and potential are the only thing they care about. :smile:
....tho the last one may help you a bit if you're applying for compsci. :wink:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 7

Correct. :smile:

But you do have to have your own horse. Apparently. Someone said it on TSR so it must be true...

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 8
You need A1s at Advanced Higher. The more the merrier...

Posted from TSR Mobile

I bloody hope not, otherwise im a bit fcked!

I would say apply to Cambridge just for the sake of it, you never know :wink:
But more importantly, you live in bloody Scotland! Take this opportunity to apply to Edinburgh(so i can live vicariously through you)!! Honestly I'd love to go to Edinburgh, but for a Law student, Scottish law is compulsory, and, no offence, but I'd rather not live up there after I graduate (could never stay away from London), so it'd be a bit of a waste of time getting a degree to study law in scotland that i'll never use :/ (also, free tuition? stay in scotland!)

Long story short: Apply to Edinburgh on my behalf and dont pay a penny in your (far superior) education system

Absolutely, we're not looking for rounded students, we just want them to be very good at their subject and hungry to learn!

If you do apply, this is lots of time to consider your decision and you can withdraw at any point. Many students withdraw or decline their offers in similar situations to yours.

PS: You can apply and withdraw and be happy but if you want to apply and don't and come to regret it later there's no much you can do.
(edited 8 years ago)
Hey

I don't know what the computing industry is like in Scotland but all the CompSci people I know got remarkably well paid jobs, sometimes even before they finished. Frankly they would have been able to pay off three years tuition fees from the difference between what they were earning and a standard graduate salary in a year or two. Cambridge is a thriving centre for IT/software/gaming type comp sci jobs and if that doesn't appeal you can always go and work in London for a mere City salary. I wouldn't give it all up for the same debt that the English have to pay anyway and bursaries can be generous if you need them.
Original post by Colmans
I don't know what the computing industry is like in Scotland but all the CompSci people I know got remarkably well paid jobs, sometimes even before they finished. Frankly they would have been able to pay off three years tuition fees from the difference between what they were earning and a standard graduate salary in a year or two. Cambridge is a thriving centre for IT/software/gaming type comp sci jobs and if that doesn't appeal you can always go and work in London for a mere City salary. I wouldn't give it all up for the same debt that the English have to pay anyway and bursaries can be generous if you need them.

Are those compsci people from your year? This year's and subsequent graduates will have to pay back much more because of much higher tuition fees.
But it's true lot of things have been happening south of border. A couple of compsci I know (last year's graduates. One of them from Scotland) are both working in London, one with a gaming company the other his own start-up after participating in a few start-up beginners workshops. I don't think the latter is making so much money by any stretch of imagination but there're lots of new opportunities down here.
Original post by vincrows
Are those compsci people from your year? This year's and subsequent graduates will have to pay back much more because of much higher tuition fees.
But it's true lot of things have been happening south of border. A couple of compsci I know (last year's graduates. One of them from Scotland) are both working in London, one with a gaming company the other his own start-up after participating in a few start-up beginners workshops. I don't think the latter is making so much money by any stretch of imagination but there're lots of new opportunities down here.

Not not all, and I was adjusting for a 27k debt. One left after getting a 2:2 and still found high paid employment in Cambridge.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Colmans
Not not all, and I was adjusting for a 27k debt. One left after getting a 2:2 and still found high paid employment in Cambridge.
Posted from TSR Mobile

OK. :smile:

Talking of Silicon Fens and development of West Cambridge.....(sorry OTT),
Did you read the interesting article in the last week's The Economist?

Spoiler

There was an earlier article in January, too, which was also quite interesting.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 15
Original post by vincrows
OK. :smile:

Talking of Silicon Fens and development of West Cambridge.....(sorry OTT),
Did you read the interesting article in the last week's The Economist?

Spoiler

There was an earlier article in January, too, which was also quite interesting.

Link doesn't work...
Original post by jneill
That works (but not a subscriber... :wink: )

Posted from TSR Mobile

No you misunderstand.
The article of that link is available for anyone online.
The other article I mentioned to Colman is only available for subscribers (or who bought a print copy.. :wink:

Spoiler

(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 19
Original post by jneill
That works (but not a subscriber... :wink: )

Posted from TSR Mobile

Ah yes. I got a Subscribe pop-up but can ignore it. Cool. Tks.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending