The Student Room Group

Getting married to a close COUSIN

So when I was 17 my mum's brother came to visit England and he asked if I would marry his son (my cousin). Now getting married to people within the family is really common in my family.
I agreed to get married because I was told it was what my Nan had wanted (she passed away when I was 15) and I wanted to make her happy in a way. It felt like it was her last wish or something.
However, now that I'm 21 and the marriage is being planned to occur in two years time, I don't think I can go through with it. I can't get over the fact that he is my cousin even though he is a great guy. I don't know what to do as everyone in my close family knows about the rishta (proposal) and everyone encouraged me to agree to it.
At the time that I agreed I was quite young and didn't really know what I wanted my husband to be like and now that I know, I feel that my cousin is not the right guy for me.

I really don't know where to go from here because I also don't want to hurt my family and I know if I refuse then my mum will be really upset. I'm just really confused. I also wanted to know that if cousin marriages still happen in other families or is it just my family that's living in the past.

Before you ask, yes I am Asian.
Also I know that a lot of people don't understand cousin marriages but as I said it's normal in my family.

Thank you in advance for your help.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm not Asian but I've noticed that nowadays, Asian families are becoming liberal in terms of who their children gets married to. If your parents are strict, you might have a harder chance of trying to convince them that you don't want to go through with it. If they are not strict, talk to them about how you feel. If you feel like you can't talk to them, maybe talk to someone who is really close to the family, tell them how you feel and ask them to talk to your parents on your behalf.
This ****ing nan ****ing people even in death.

Tell your family to **** off.

I am surprised this is Asian too.

Usually it is the podunk Tenesseee or Liverpool inbreeders who do this kind of ****

**** me im gonna log off now
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
So when I was 17 my mum's brother came to visit England and he asked if I would marry his son (my cousin). Now getting married to people within the family is really common in my family.
I agreed to get married because I was told it was what my Nan had wanted (she passed away when I was 15) and I wanted to make her happy in a way. It felt like it was her last wish or something.
However, now that I'm 21 and the marriage is being planned to occur in two years time, I don't think I can go through with it. I can't get over the fact that he is my cousin even though he is a great guy. I don't know what to do as everyone in my close family knows about the rishta (proposal) and everyone encouraged me to agree to it.
At the time that I agreed I was quite young and didn't really know what I wanted my husband to be like and now that I know, I feel that my cousin is not the right guy for me.

I really don't know where to go from here because I also don't want to hurt my family and I know if I refuse then my mum will be really upset. I'm just really confused. I also wanted to know that if cousin marriages still happen in other families or is it just my family that's living in the past.

Also I know that a lot of people don't understand cousin marriages but as I said it's normal in my family.

tell them its your life and you wanna do whatever you ****ing want! i'm asian too and when i get married i will find someone myself😂

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 4
Original post by kemi28
I'm not Asian but I've noticed that nowadays, Asian families are becoming liberal in terms of who their children gets married to. If your parents are strict, you might have a harder chance of trying to convince them that you don't want to go through with it. If they are not strict, talk to them about how you feel. If you feel like you can't talk to them, maybe talk to someone who is really close to the family, tell them how you feel and ask them to talk to your parents on your behalf.

In case you choose the last option, I recommend you to be with them when the conversation happens. If you are not, then suddenly your parents will feel like you don't trust them at all.

Also. It's really really absurd to get married to a person that you don't love with all your heart!
If you simply don't feel like he is the one, you must find a way to tell him. Time's running!
Could be worse.

It could be your brother.
Original post by Moordland

Usually it is the podunk Tenesseee or Liverpool inbreeders who do this kind of ****

Oh I remember you :biggrin:
Original post by Ser Alex Toyne
Could be worse.

It could be your brother.

Incest is disgusting and immoral.
Original post by NaTaLiiA513
Incest is disgusting and immoral.

Marrying your sibling doesn't necessarily equate to sex ;D
Better tell them now than later.
Original post by Ser Alex Toyne
Marrying your sibling doesn't necessarily equate to sex ;D

Might lead to rape then.
It's your life, therefore who you marry is your decision not your parents'. I would explain to them in a calm and reasoned way why you don't think your cousin is right for you and if they have a problem with that then just cut them out already - you're an adult and if they can't accept your life choices they don't deserve to be a part of your life.

I'm asian, and no, marrying a first cousin isn't something I've ever had anyone in my (extended) family do.
I think you should say to your parents that you didn't quite understand the huge decision you made at 17, and no longer want to marry your cousin.
But if you were to tell them this, how would they take it?
Reply 13
Ashley Madison is your friend...

Not but seriously I know this is a traditional thing, but if you are assertive enough you might be okay?

Think Elizabeth Bennet's refusal to marry Mr Collins in Austen's classic Pride and Prejudice.
(edited 8 years ago)

If it's normal in your family, any children you have from this marriage are all but certain to have birth defects of the worst kind. Think about it this way: would you rather break your mother's heart or condemn a child to a life of disability and suffering? It's your call.

It's your life. I don't know if you're a Muslim or believe in an afterlife or not but doing something of this magnitude just to satisfy somebody's dying wish is exceptionally stupid. I'm sure your Nan wouldn't want you to be unhappy for the rest of your life...
It's your life. You have your human rights. If you feel you don't want to marry him.
DONT MARRY HIM.
Original post by Moordland

Bahaha what the **** are you on.

I want some.

Reply 17
Marrying your cousin is fine. You just have to remember it's your choice, not your family's.

Posted from TSR Mobile
for me it feels kinda odd
would prefer someone else and if a break up happens it leads to family fights
My family used to be like that before
but things have changed

no one should tell you to marry someone
marriage is in your decision
(edited 8 years ago)
wtf

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending