The Student Room Group

Student Bank Accounts?

Just wondering who is everyone with? Me and my partner both need to get these sorted as soon as we are in the UK (Moving my partner from Luxembourg to UK on the 6th of sep)
Reply 1
I'm with Lloyds TSB

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 2
Original post by Billy_edmonds
Just wondering who is everyone with? Me and my partner both need to get these sorted as soon as we are in the UK (Moving my partner from Luxembourg to UK on the 6th of sep)

With HSBC. They give a £60 amazon voucher too :biggrin:
good advice here http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/students/Student-bank-account Can be a bit more tricky to open an account if you are from abroad,
Do you guys recommend getting one? I'm still in two minds? I'm not too good with this bank account nonsense lol
I think some banks do a special student bank account for students coming from abroad, I know Santander do an International Student Current Account, but I'm not sure about the other banks.

I'm going for Santander for a student bank account. They don't have the highest overdraft caps but I only intend to have an overdraft as an emergency option anyway, but as far as I can see it's high enough for me in case I do need it, they give you a free 4 year rail card worth about £90 which will be useful for me as I need to use trains a lot at the uni I'm going to, the interest rate of the account is the highest of all the accounts I can go for, which is useful for me as I intend to keep my balance over 0 and I'm hoping to save up as much money as possible over the first year so I can put money towards rent for my own place next year, so again the high interest rate helps a bit.

Plus, as far as I'm aware their terms and conditions don't prevent me from changing to a different bank at any time, so if one of the other banks start offering something better for me I can change whenever I want.
Lloyds, I wasn't fussed about freebies. I just wanted a no-hassle, interest-free planned overdraft. A decent one at that.
A lot of banks say, 'oh, you can get up to £3000' but they fail to mention that's only after 3 years and even then only a small percentage of students will get the full loan.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending