The Student Room Group

Move with my friend or go into student accommodation?

So I'm going to Manchester university in a few weeks and I have been planning to move with my best friend, he has got a job lined up for when we move and I know I'd have a good time if I moved with him but I have also applied to student accommodation as I was worried about having trouble making friends, I am very sociable and have never had problems making friends but I just felt like if I was going to make any true friends then I'd have to move into accommodation. If I was to move in with my friend we'd be staying very close to where my accommodation would be. I'm stuck between deciding whether to move with my friend or into accommodation I feel like it'd be much easier to move to a new city with my friend but in the long run would it be more beneficial to go into accommodation? Also how much more difficult would it be for me to make friends even though we'd be on the same campus that id be moving to anyway?
Personally I'd say move into halls, just cos it's a totally different experience and you'll have the chance to make a load of new friends really quickly who are all in the same boat! You can still see your friend but maybe hold off on moving in with them until next year?
Reply 2
Original post by Landing
So I'm going to Manchester university in a few weeks and I have been planning to move with my best friend, he has got a job lined up for when we move and I know I'd have a good time if I moved with him but I have also applied to student accommodation as I was worried about having trouble making friends, I am very sociable and have never had problems making friends but I just felt like if I was going to make any true friends then I'd have to move into accommodation. If I was to move in with my friend we'd be staying very close to where my accommodation would be. I'm stuck between deciding whether to move with my friend or into accommodation I feel like it'd be much easier to move to a new city with my friend but in the long run would it be more beneficial to go into accommodation? Also how much more difficult would it be for me to make friends even though we'd be on the same campus that id be moving to anyway?

I'd agree with the previous suggestion. After speaking with and witnessing many friends who've been through an accommodation setup with a friend, I can see one clear trait. In order for it to work, you need to look inwards and truthfully ask yourself, am I close enough and comfortable enough with this person to literally tolerate them for a year?

If the answer is even slightly no, then i'd advice caution. Yes uni is about pushing yourself and taking chances, but your home needs to be a safe zone that you can escape to when other pressures are looming.

You will of course be able to meet with your friends, and being on your own hold personal functions, which could be great!

I'd seriously contemplate halls if I were you. Any particularly in mind?
Reply 3
Original post by brit53
I'd agree with the previous suggestion. After speaking with and witnessing many friends who've been through an accommodation setup with a friend, I can see one clear trait. In order for it to work, you need to look inwards and truthfully ask yourself, am I close enough and comfortable enough with this person to literally tolerate them for a year?

If the answer is even slightly no, then i'd advice caution. Yes uni is about pushing yourself and taking chances, but your home needs to be a safe zone that you can escape to when other pressures are looming.

You will of course be able to meet with your friends, and being on your own hold personal functions, which could be great!

I'd seriously contemplate halls if I were you. Any particularly in mind?

Thank you for your in depth response, I honestly think I could tolerate my friend, that is the least of my problems, I was more worried about moving in with my friend and not been able to make any close friends also I am planning on moving to owens park.
Original post by Landing

I'd agree with others saying move into halls, especially if you want to take part in freshers events, makes it so much easier for the first couple of weeks having a ready made group to explore with. And your friend isn't far away if you want to hang out with them.

Quick Reply

Latest