The Student Room Group

How Hard Is A Level Geography (Aqa/Edexcel)

Scroll to see replies

Geography is a decent subject to do well if you are good at it. Arguably more wingable than most other subjects (haha).

GCSE AQA - A*
AS level AQA - 197/200 UMS

Am doing A level now, seems like the same stuff as before only with a lot more evaluation and less actual need to know facts. Will probably suit me as writing bs seems to be my speciality. Lessons are very relaxed in geography and some of it can be slightly interesting. Give it a crack if you enjoy it.
Hey everyone, I would like to ask, how did you learn case studies plus how much or what information did you learn of them? I'm looking at various case studies but there's so much information to memorise. I'm sure I can't use two pages worth of one case study for only a 10 marker question. So do you learn one fact from the case study to later use in the exam and if so how did you decide what bits to memorise for the exam? I remember with GCSE, I struggled with this the most.
Reply 22
I got an A in GCSE geography and an A* at a-level so can't be that hard 😂, wasn't easy though and I did have a bit of natural talent for it and put in **** loads of work
Reply 23
Make revision cards with them on and have one/two case studies for each topic and then the potential all 40 markers have 5
Original post by Cherry82
Hey everyone, I would like to ask, how did you learn case studies plus how much or what information did you learn of them? I'm looking at various case studies but there's so much information to memorise. I'm sure I can't use two pages worth of one case study for only a 10 marker question. So do you learn one fact from the case study to later use in the exam and if so how did you decide what bits to memorise for the exam? I remember with GCSE, I struggled with this the most.
Original post by Becsy98
Make revision cards with them on and have one/two case studies for each topic and then the potential all 40 markers have 5

Oh do you find yourself using certain case studies more than once for different topics? Thanks for the advice. I'd like to know though, how much of the case study do you learn?
Reply 25
Original post by Cherry82
Oh do you find yourself using certain case studies more than once for different topics? Thanks for the advice. I'd like to know though, how much of the case study do you learn?

Yeah if you can bring bits of each case study into different topics that's really good because then you're being synoptic which is what helps you to get the grades, I didn't really have a set amount I'd learn but a few facts is a good place to start
GCSE (aqa) - A
AS (edexcel) - D 😞

I put so much work in as well throughout the year, gonna retake next year though.
I personally found it a lot more difficult than at GCSE (which was expected), so many case studies and info to learn!
Original post by Becsy98
Yeah if you can bring bits of each case study into different topics that's really good because then you're being synoptic which is what helps you to get the grades, I didn't really have a set amount I'd learn but a few facts is a good place to start

Phew, thank you. But I must admit, I just don't understand how geography students memorise all of this information regarding case studies. There are so many. I was advised to learn as much of each case studies' information as I can so I can choose what pieces of the information to use for questions. The thing is, I don't have an extravagant memory. With Edexcel and Aqa you could do past papers and get the hang of it eventually but CIE seems amazingly difficult to some degree. I don't know how I am going to manage this course.

Quick Reply

Latest