The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Churchill College (Cambridge) Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

(I personally don't think its ugly, but all the people who are generally applying to the more "prestigious colleges" tend to disagree!)

As for SunderX - (I am in year 12, but if I am admitted to Churchill in 2008, I would love to join such a band- The rock cello already exists in the form of the electric cello, the second best electric instrument to the Electric Violin (not the ELECTRIC GUITAR!), but I'm sure an electric violin would fit equally well with the rest of the group...! :p: :biggrin:

I have just booked onto the Churchill open day.

Wingador made a very valid point, and that is one of the key reasons why I chose Churchill for the open day - because of the nice people. (At this point, being a methematician, I wish to point out that although Wingador's point is valid, there is a strong correlation between type of person and college, hence it is often possible to predict what the people of a college are like from the college itself - being a newer college, it has not got the "prestige" of some of the other colleges, and as such does not have a reputation for its "old boy" network, as such. Being founded with the intention of providing greater links with industry would imply a greater proportion of Mathmos and Scientists (eccentric people such as myself, with similar interests). Also, being a relatively new college and having all its sports facilities on site would imply that there is also a degree of diversity in the candidates it admits.

Anyone got any information on the various societies at Churchill, cos I would be interested to find out more about these - (I have already read the websites which are available!) I would be interested in anything from academic societies through to walking/mountaneerig as well as music!
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Bazzasballs, what did you mean by that comment?
Reply 22
bazzasballs
i feel so sorry for you....

Splendid, quite splendid, do you wax your chest? Don't worry just a little Johnian banter-standard!
Reply 23
TSR doesn't quite achieve the same result as my drunken voice by the van however!
Wingador, I assume you do some sort of language at Johns yeah?
Reply 25
yes I do MML but how did you know and why is that relevant?
A: Your Profile,
B: it isnt, but I assume that you will no doubt know some Mathmos who might be able to give me their opinion of the Maths course etc...
Reply 27
Oh, haven't looked at my profile for ages but yeah, as for B be careful, this is a dangerous place to assume anything. The mathmos do love it and find it a great course taught at the highest level, by people who love what they do and they get a phenomenal amount of support. Pretty generic I know but for maths this truly is the best in the world.
Churchills not that ugly, for a 60's building, its got pretty cool architecture and some interesting sculptures.
Reply 29
Yeah, and it has good rooms with huge windows. Also there are huge grounds that look pretty idyllic on a frosty cambridge morning. looks are not everything and should not be overplayed.
Reply 30
Ok, I haven't been on TSR for about 2 years now but feel I have to contribute here.

I'm an English student at Churchill (yup, not a scientist) and I, and indeed all other students there that I know of absolutely love the place.
I really don't know where to start in trying to express how great it is.
As for the architecture, believe me, the beauty of Trinity etc. is less astonishing by about week 3. Comparatively ALL Churchill rooms are large and the inter-connecting design of the quads means that all are really light and airy, and at the same time you are really close to all of your friends.

Mates of mine in Trinty and Peterhouse say that they would rather be in Churchill purely for the fact that, to take Trinity as an example, their 1st years live alone and have little communication with the other year groups. As Churchill is technically the largest Cambridge college all students live on site so mixing between the year groups happens naturally. I can't stress what a great community Churchill has.

As for distance, it's another plus. I have a bike but haven't used it for at least 2 terms. It's a 10 min walk to town and a 5-10 min walk to the Sidgwick site. It is another plus because when you just want to get out of college and have a breather, town is a great place to have a stroll around. If you live in town you have pretty much nowhere to escape to.

As for the arts/science thing, it's not that noticable. The science emphasis is an important part of the college but arts students are just as vocal and present as the scientists. Plus, because there are less of us, we get alot of attention and funding directed at the relative few. Academically, the college is really happy at the moment as we're (don't quote me on this) something like 2nd in Law and English and 1st in History. I'm not quite sure of which ranking I'm mentioning but the college did get all congratulatory about it.

Anyway, this is becoming a novel. Check out Churchill, it's amazing.
Reply 31
You've sold it, I for one will be at the open day :biggrin:
Reply 32
I don't like it, the porters, or security guards dont really remember, objected to me taking 8 bottles of drink out of the ball
Reply 33
They would have liked it had you offered one of them.
Yep, all must come to the open day!
Reply 34
I went down for the open day, it was really quite nice and I am definately thinking of applying there. Whats the medic scene like? Is it really just a handful of people and are they sort of seperated from the natsci's considering teh huge amount of you there are?
Reply 35
MrMathsGenius
It was originally posted in the main cambridge forum, and the title was merely an observation that it was the only cambridge college without its own thread in the college section! Nothing defensive, just whenever you mention Churchill to cambridge students/ applicants, the general response is "you mean that "ugly sixties one" (which for all its shortcomings won awards for its architecture)

This would be a fair point, except in the 60s, architecture awards were handed out like raffle tickets. Including to the people who put up the appalling, prematurely decrepid, damp-ridden high-rise flights in every major British city. But I think Churchill is a nice college.
Reply 36
I've only been to Churchill twice; it is ugly and a tad depressing of course, but the people seemed nice enough. It is however a bit of a sausage fest and a lot of people will certainly not like being surrounded by 75% science and maths students. So that is worth considering.
Reply 37
What's churchill like for medics?
Reply 38
**noooni**
Churchills not that ugly, for a 60's building, its got pretty cool architecture and some interesting sculptures.

yeah and we have double bedS!!!!!!
Reply 39
tctc
yeah and we have double bedS!!!!!!

WHAT??!! Seriously? As in, all the rooms have double beds? Will I have to quickly find some new sheets?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending