The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Churchill College (Cambridge) Students and Applicants

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Awesome, someone resurrected this thread out of the gutter!

Yeah, there are a fair few English student's at Churchill, something like at least 6 this year. But you shouldn't decline an offer simply based on the number of fellow students, considering some subjects like Oriental Studies get only 2 people a year anyway....
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
oh i see.
no it was two separate points lol.. I just wondered.
I dont know if I want to go because of pressure/no social life/having to move too and fro all the time.
If I could move there and stay there and not come home EVERY holiday, or all holiday I would be more convinced.
Reply 62
Claire_Emma
oh i see.
no it was two separate points lol.. I just wondered.
I dont know if I want to go because of pressure/no social life/having to move too and fro all the time.
If I could move there and stay there and not come home EVERY holiday, or all holiday I would be more convinced.

Well you can stay for most of christmas and easter holidays if you want, and you will have a social life.

There are quite a few english students and Churchill and they do pretty well results-wise and socially, so yer do it!...(or don't if you really don't think it is for you, up to you really)
I didn't know you could stay over the hols! thats good then, I really don't wanna be home all the time . long story lol.
Reply 64
Claire_Emma
I didn't know you could stay over the hols! thats good then, I really don't wanna be home all the time . long story lol.

Well basically you will need permission, but I think they grant it quite easily (just say you want to get a lot of work done in the library or whatever). Staying over summer is not so common but I guess you could spend a fair bit of the holiday in Cambridge if you wanted - some people do summer work in Cambridge so they must stay for most of it
Reply 65
Claire_Emma

International students can stay over during any of the holidays without permission; home students need to get approval from their tutors. Churchill has more residential space than most colleges, so this works out. Of course, you'll still have to pay rent over the holidays.
Has anyone (i.e. Freshers) been able to login to the rooms ballot online to see which room they've been allocated? My friend has been able to log into hers, but it keeps telling me that I've entered my login details incorrectly (which I haven't, strangely)...
Reply 67
Jason2k6101
Has anyone (i.e. Freshers) been able to login to the rooms ballot online to see which room they've been allocated? My friend has been able to log into hers, but it keeps telling me that I've entered my login details incorrectly (which I haven't, strangely)...

Based on jcr.chu.cam.ac.uk forums and the facebook group then I'd say yes, but other people are having problems - did you use the paper form instead of online maybe?

Anyway you'll get a letter pretty soon about it and it isn't such a big deal really (i.e. all the rooms are basically the same, except en-suites, and you'll get to like it wherever you are) so I'd just wait
MC REN
Based on jcr.chu.cam.ac.uk forums and the facebook group then I'd say yes, but other people are having problems - did you use the paper form instead of online maybe?

Anyway you'll get a letter pretty soon about it and it isn't such a big deal really (i.e. all the rooms are basically the same, except en-suites, and you'll get to like it wherever you are) so I'd just wait

Nah, I entered the ballot online.

Thanks for the advice. I'll just wait for some correspondence.
Reply 69
Jason2k6101
Nah, I entered the ballot online.

Thanks for the advice. I'll just wait for some correspondence.

Weird, seems like they've made a bit of a mess of it this year

Anyway, hope you're looking forward to coming - it'll be awesome
Reply 70
did anyone go to this yesterday? what did you think?
Reply 71
aROOba
did anyone go to this yesterday? what did you think?

I didn't but I'd like to know what you thought (and would be able to answer any questions you still have about Churchill)
Reply 72
MC REN
I didn't but I'd like to know what you thought (and would be able to answer any questions you still have about Churchill)

I loved it but felt incredibly inadequate afterwards. All the other people there seemed to have a lot of a*s, which was a bit off-putting. I fell in love with cambridge though, it is an amazing city. I'm thinking of applying.
Do you know what the general ratio between comprehensive pupils and privately educated/grammar school students is and how many a*s did you get?
Thank you :smile:
Reply 73
aROOba
I loved it but felt incredibly inadequate afterwards. All the other people there seemed to have a lot of a*s, which was a bit off-putting. I fell in love with cambridge though, it is an amazing city. I'm thinking of applying.
Do you know what the general ratio between comprehensive pupils and privately educated/grammar school students is and how many a*s did you get?
Thank you :smile:

Erm not sure on the ratio but it is available online (sorry, will have a look late if I remember) - I think it is something like 70:30 (state/grammar to private) not sure if they'll be anything distinguishing between comprehensives and grammar though

Speaking purely anecdotally I'd say there is a pretty even mix of all 3

I did pretty well in my GCSEs, so that would probably put you off :p: , but I know of people at Churchill with only a couple of A*s and then a few B's, C's and D's so it is possible

If you like the city and are on course for 3 As then I'd definitely apply
Reply 74
toothpastekisses
I'm certainly not complaining!! :smile: Can't wait to come!

Heck, i'm the ONLY girl in my computing class. Trust me, hella funny!

MC REN

If you like the city and are on course for 3 As then I'd definitely apply

I was wondering, what did you take in your A levels, Ren?

I'm thinking of applying to Churchill for Computer Science. And I don't mind gender inequalities so much ^_^.
How much do you personally about computing department?
Reply 75
Floofy

I'm thinking of applying to Churchill for Computer Science. And I don't mind gender inequalities so much ^_^.

I took Maths, Further Maths, Chem and Physics (and General Studies AS)

I have quite a few compsci friends (and as a natsci shared some lectures with them in first year) so if you have any questions I may be able to help but SunderX is a Churchill compsci so he may be more help - he'll probably check this thread in a while anyway.
Hi,
I'm applying to Cambridge, and if I get in I'll be 22 when I arrive. I'm a girl and I'd be doing Physical Natural Sciences.
I really don't want to go to a mature-student-college but I *am* a bit anxious about how hard it will be to meet people of my own age or a bit older (because I've always tended to hang out with people a year or two older).
I wanted to ask you guys - how much do undergrads and postgrads mix at Churchill and do they live close to each other? This is important enough to me to be a major factor in deciding which college to put down on the UCAS app I'm submitting in a couple of days.
Thanks!
Reply 77
In general, in most colleges, I'd say there isn't a massive amount of mixing (outside of the sports clubs)

However, if you wanted to it would be easy enough - undergrads and postgrads eat in the same place, and mostly live on site, and as alluded to before, mix quite a bit in the sports clubs (especially rowing)

You would have to take the initiative though because most of the freshers events are pretty much just for undergrads (and I guess there are equilavent events for postgrads)
Reply 78
Floofy
Heck, i'm the ONLY girl in my computing class. Trust me, hella funny!

You may like to know, we now actually have a female compsci fresher at Churchill, giving us a massive shift in the male/female ratio! Namely from infinity to a finite number....

Feel free to pm me about anything Churchill related, or even MSN. I'm very into promoting this college, my subject, and the university as a whole.
Reply 79
sciencelover
Hi,
I'm applying to Cambridge, and if I get in I'll be 22 when I arrive. I'm a girl and I'd be doing Physical Natural Sciences.
I really don't want to go to a mature-student-college but I *am* a bit anxious about how hard it will be to meet people of my own age or a bit older (because I've always tended to hang out with people a year or two older).
I wanted to ask you guys - how much do undergrads and postgrads mix at Churchill and do they live close to each other? This is important enough to me to be a major factor in deciding which college to put down on the UCAS app I'm submitting in a couple of days.
Thanks!

MC Ren has it pretty much on the mark. As a 22 year old, chances are you'd be able to get away with passing off just as a regular undergrad, but if you really try, you could get to know some of the higher years in college. The main difficulty (in any college) would be in the fact that you would be part of the JCR, as opposed to the MCR, so you couldn't just go and hang in the postgrad bar ^_^

Quick Reply

Latest