The Student Room Group
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge

Churchill College (Cambridge) Students and Applicants

Im considering applying to Churchill to study maths, yet there does not appear to be a churchill college thread in the Cambridge Colleges section. ANyone wish to share knowledge, opinions, reputation besmirching remarks welcome...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Churchill_College%2C_Cambridge
is a pretty cool read i guess...

Churchill is better looking than Cripps Court, its not that far away if you bike, people are nice, blah blah

any specific questions?
Studying in halls, University of Cambridge
University of Cambridge
Cambridge
Reply 2
Churchille is a sciency college full of seriously keen people, if this is what you want, go for it but not my ideal!
Reply 3
is it a nice place

is it really impractical being that far from the center (But right next to the maths department)

What has it got goin on music wise

(I have checked most of the online resources, from wikipedia to the college website + the alternative student guide..) I was hoping for some current/ past members to shed light on what it is like to study there etc. Has it got a good reputation ...
Reply 4
MrMathsGenius
is it a nice place

is it really impractical being that far from the center (But right next to the maths department)

(I have checked most of the online resources, from wikipedia to the college website + the alternative student guide..) I was hoping for some current/ past members to shed light on what it is like to study there etc. Has it got a good reputation ...

I like it, but i think anyone at any college (and certainly anyone at churchill) would say that about their college

Its not that much of a problem really, though i seem to be struggling to get up in time for lectures recently, which wouldn't be such a problem at pembroke/downing i guess. Mathmos won't get taught in maths department for first year (as i'm sure you know but always worth pointing out), although it will of course be very convenient as you get older

Musicwise, erm, theres a jazz band and some other small groups, and the orchestra on the hill. Don't know all that much really, but you'd easily be able to get involved with something

Decent reputation, for sciences anyway - pretty respectable alumni for a young college, although if prestige is your thing i suspect it doesn't garner as much respect as trinity, etc
Reply 5
im not really into prestige etc, it usually comes at a high risk cost (i.e. competing against most of the British olympiad squad!) not that it will be a doddle to get into Churchill either! WHat do you study?
Reply 6
first year natsci, theres a lot of us - quite a few mathematicians as well though, and they're all alright, not as reserved/downright weird as one might perhaps expect
Reply 7
this thread like is saying 'i didnt do it!' when someone simply mentions your name
Reply 8
Thankyou for that highly psychoanalytical comment, that has proved most helpful in furthering the purpose of this thread! If you have something of value OR RELEVANCE to the thread title, drop it here, otherwise we would appreciate it if the shrink in training would keep his opinions to himself.
Reply 9
It seems to have a lot to its merit, it may be a Sixties style builing, but it looks to have decent rooms, you can not only walk on the grass, but also the artwork and it has all sports facilities on site, plus it is the largest college in terms of area - plent of room to breath
Reply 10
vb07
this thread like is saying 'i didnt do it!' when someone simply mentions your name

your response like is saying nothing of any interest...
Reply 11
ok ok - all i meant was that there is no reason to be so defensive in your title or thread - a thread, 'Churchill' would be fine wouldn't it?
It was originally posted in the main cambridge forum, and the title was merely an observation that it was the only cambridge college without its own thread in the college section! Nothing defensive, just whenever you mention Churchill to cambridge students/ applicants, the general response is "you mean that "ugly sixties one" (which for all its shortcomings won awards for its architecture)
Wingador
Churchille is a sciency college full of seriously keen people, if this is what you want, go for it but not my ideal!

you what?

MrMathsGenius
is it really impractical being that far from the center

It's less than 10 minutes by bike, easily walkable, costs 50p by bus (which is hardly worth getting unless you're being lazy) and is far closer than accomodation at most universities. So no

MrMathsGenius

Music's alright, there's choir or chamber music concerts fairly regularly which are worth going to and orchestra on the hill (joint orchestra with fitz, newhall and magdalene) which puts on a concert every term and is pretty high standard. The audiovisual society probably get up to some musicy stuff too I guess, plus various other groups and things
Cheers! So you'd definitely recommend it (not that I'm surprised!) By high standard, what sort of level are you talking (I play violin just for reference)
Hi

I was pooled to Churchill for geography and have just been on an open day, and loved it - more so than the college i previously applied to - which was a classic 'beautiful' cambridge college.

I found that Churchill had a very relaxed and friendly atmosphere, all the rooms were light (compared to the darker rooms in the older colleges- due to the smaller windows) and it was quiet - not the endless noise of town life. Plus, the route into town was really lovely - even though it was February!

What I'm trying to say is that you shouldn't base your application on what a college looks like - it's the people in it that will matter...if you actually get there. Personally, despite the long wait, i'm really glad i was pooled to churchill!

hx
Reply 16
Someday I want to invent the electric triangle, heavy metal cello and the rock trumpet, and start my own orchestral rock band.

If you come to Churchill you can be in it
Reply 17
Don't worry about music so much, plenty at uni level anyway! College choice, i'd say is mre personality. If you're not into presitige then a newer college, such as Churchill may be better for you, not that any Cambridge college lacks that anyway! Good luck!
Reply 18
By the way, Churchill isn't ugly, in what way? It is the greenest according to TCS so that may of interest.
i feel so sorry for you....

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending