The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Bristol Uni Accommodation Info MKII (Please post all questions here)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Hi guys,
I got a place at Manor Hall and have a few questions:
1) is there cooking equipment? (stove, pans...)
2) am i allowed to have electrical devices in my room (such as a guitar amp, a small fridge)
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Original post by dalvp
Hi guys,
2) am i allowed to have electrical devices in my room (such as a guitar amp, a small fridge)

1) Nope (edit - yes there's "equipment" equipment, lol, sorry. Ovens, hobs, plenty of cupboard/fridge space. Just the pans and cutlery and such aren't provided)
2) Fridges are the only thing I've seen them be strict with. As for the guitar amp, it should be fine as long as you aren't making tons of noise (presuming this is main building the walls are like paper). Could always tell them you don't plan on using it in halls and take it to rehearsals or something if they ask but I doubt they will.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 62
Thanks for your answer

Original post by spleenharvester
1) Nope (edit - yes there's "equipment" equipment, lol, sorry. Ovens, hobs, plenty of cupboard/fridge space. Just the pans and cutlery and such aren't provided)

I wouldn't have thought cutlery wouldn't be provided...(not a big deal though)

2) Fridges are the only thing I've seen them be strict with. .

What do you mean?
Original post by dalvp

What do you mean?

They're generally not allowed, usually there is something about it in the tenancy contract. Can't remember what the reason is, though.
Original post by gingeisonfire
Same here! Got placed at 115 Queen's Road which is said to be primarily for mature students this year. Not too disheartened though, I just can't seem to find anyone going to the same residence.

I know what you mean, I guess they're pretty small houses compared to others. You can call up the accommodation office if you want to be put into a flat with people of your age, they'll put a note on your record :smile:
Reply 65
They're generally not allowed, usually there is something about it in the tenancy contract. Can't remember what the reason is, though.

Really?! Even small ones ?
I didn't see anything about it in the handbook...
Original post by dalvp

Yeah they don't like you having electrical devices like toasters or mini fridges. I think it's because they may be a fire hazard but I'll double check

Edit: Actually I can only find details about cooking equipment, I'm not sure where the part about fridges is but I do remember seeing it.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by dalvp

I'm sure it's on the handbook or contract or something - but then the handbook also says you're only allowed a dinner party with 7 people if you ask the warden in advance, and obviously noone ever actually does that.

I think it might be as the above poster said - fire hazard or something.
Reply 68
Anyone at wills hall? would love to ask about formals and the appropriate attire
Reply 69
got offered hillside woodside. anyone else?
Culver House anyone?
Oh, how I'd love to swap it!
Reply 71
Original post by Basiji
got offered hillside woodside. anyone else?

I did, what subject are you studying?
Original post by EtherealElf
Culver House anyone?
Oh, how I'd love to swap it!

Is culver house meant to be bad? Was it one of your preferences?

Original post by tedible
Anyone at wills hall? would love to ask about formals and the appropriate attire

I didn't know there would be formals. I thought the only real event people get dressed up for would be graduation. You'd be better off going to that one thread with the second year answering questions.
(edited 8 years ago)
Is anyone staying at durdham? ive heard nothing about it apart from how unsociable it is and i quite like the night life
when we arrive on the 19th do we have things to do which are organised by the university or is this just a cooling of period until the 21st? also, are we expected to cook food (self catered) on the same as we arrive?
Original post by tedible

It is essentially your gown and whatever you can get away with underneath. Technically it's probably meant to be smart attire underneath too (shirt+tie, dress etc), but really people just have whatever they can get away with.

Original post by dalvp
Hi guys,

Generally speaking they don't like you having electronic stuff that doesn't typically belong in a bedroom. Things like your PC/guitar amp/lamp etc are fine, but kitchen stuff generally isn't. The manual for Manor specifically says "For reasons of safety residents are not permitted to have their own
heaters or cooking equipment such as toasters, rice cookers,
microwaves or kettles in their bedrooms. Any such items may be taken
into storage by hall staff.
"

It doesn't specify Fridges, but they are very much along the same lines as toasters, microwaves etc. To be sure, you can just email them and ask. However I would suggest that really you don't need a fridge in your room, unless you have some specific dietry requirements (e.g. some people can't have food stored in the same place as pork for religious reasons, and university students tend to eat a lot of bacon).
Original post by DampSquid
I know what you mean, I guess they're pretty small houses compared to others. You can call up the accommodation office if you want to be put into a flat with people of your age, they'll put a note on your record :smile:

I was thinking of doing that but at the same time 115 Queen's Road is said to have decent sized rooms, it's really close to the student union and the swimming pool, not too far from campus and we get to use Clifton Hill house facilities. I guess I could always apply to move if I'm that bothered but I should give QR a chance first. I just don't want to be the only one my age :,( I'll try to make the most of it
Original post by katie2828
Is anyone staying at durdham? ive heard nothing about it apart from how unsociable it is and i quite like the night life

I'm at Durdham too, I think it was undersubscribed so a lot of people who are there didn't apply to it! From what I've seen most people also like going out, a certain place isn't unsociable by nature, it's the people who live there so we'll make sure it's lively :-)
Original post by katie2828

I'm in Durdham also. Someone in a different thread told me their friend loved it there and the reputation of it being quiet doesn't seem to be particularly true. Besides, I feel like the place doesn't matter, it's the people. There's no reason that it can't be a sociable place as long as others are willing to make it that way. :smile:

Original post by ssargithan
when we arrive on the 19th do we have things to do which are organised by the university or is this just a cooling of period until the 21st? also, are we expected to cook food (self catered) on the same as we arrive?

It is self catered. No one is going to cook your food for you unless you live with someone who is prepared to do that on the first day. So yes, you will have to cook your own food. Or order a takeaway, either works.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by ssargithan

Fairly certain there isn't anything timetabled until monday, so probably is just a cooling off period. Not sure if anything is organised by SU and Halls before that though. Also yep you are expected to cook on first night, although there will probably be plenty of places to buy food near accomadation (depends where your staying really), if you don't feel up to it. (ignore that, apparently some halls do - hoping Waverly is one of them :P)
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending