The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Bristol Uni Accommodation Info MKII (Please post all questions here)

Scroll to see replies

Guys can you change where you've applied/ reapply after you've already applied somewhere? I wanted to change my room option
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Original post by thatcooldude2.0
Guys can you change where you've applied/ reapply after you've already applied somewhere? I wanted to change my room option

See the Accommodation Office's Frequently Asked Questions page at:
http://www.bristol.ac.uk/accommodation/undergraduate/frequently-asked-questions/

specifically "How can I change my preferences, or something else, in my application?" and "What happens if I'm not happy with the room/residence I get offered?"
Original post by martin7
http://www.bristol.ac.uk/accommodation/undergraduate/frequently-asked-questions/

specifically "How can I change my preferences, or something else, in my application?" and "What happens if I'm not happy with the room/residence I get offered?"

Thanks! :smile:
Original post by martin7

Original post by thatcooldude2.0
Thanks! :smile:

I received an email on Friday saying that it's too late to change preferences :frown:*
Original post by stratagems
I received an email on Friday saying that it's too late to change preferences :frown:*

Ah damn :frown:
Thanks for letting me know though
Hey!
Did any of you receive your a4 sized registration letter pack?

IF SO, DID IT HAVE ANY LETTER/INITIALS WRITTEN ON IT? Mine had 'D' written on it in a pretty messy manner, and I'm wondering if that's an indication of the hall to which I have been accepted...
If you get Wills, and I get Durdham, we can swap if you like! Maybe we could arrange to do so somehow.
Original post by Olax98
Hey!

IF SO, DID IT HAVE ANY LETTER/INITIALS WRITTEN ON IT? Mine had 'D' written on it in a pretty messy manner, and I'm wondering if that's an indication of the hall to which I have been accepted...

As in through the post?

I haven't, but also, my grades haven't been confirmed over UCAS as they weren't cashed in/certificated and so I'm waiting for my college to confirm it with Bristol direct but they're taking their sweet arse time.
Original post by Olax98
Hey!

Got mine yesterday with nothing written on it.
Original post by NamelessPersona
Got mine yesterday with nothing written on it.

Did you apply for accommodation before the 31st July?

I hope Im just being paranoid - really want to get into Wills, not Durdham (my 2ndchoice!)
They say they don't start allocations until results day, but accommodation is confirmed on 24th August. When do they actually start allocating, as that seems like a really short time frame?

Once A-level results are in they know who is coming. They can then allocate people to halls -- it won't take much time to do that -- and once done they can at least tell people which hall they'll be living in.

There's a secondary phase where the halls will do actual room allocations, i.e. decide who goes in which room. That takes more effort, but doesn't need to be completed till just before move-in day.
Original post by martin7
Once A-level results are in they know who is coming. They can then allocate people to halls -- it won't take much time to do that -- and once done they can at least tell people which hall they'll be living in.

There's a secondary phase where the halls will do actual room allocations, i.e. decided who goes in which room. That takes more effort, but doesn't need to be completed till just before move-in day.

Ah, okay. So in my case where I've met the offer BUT they don't know it yet, will I get an offer on the 24th? All they would say is that if I applied before 31st July that I'm guaranteed accommodation, but am worried it could be crap accommodation ie where they send people they couldn't allocate to their first two choices :frown:
Original post by Olax98
Did you apply for accommodation before the 31st July?

I hope Im just being paranoid - really want to get into Wills, not Durdham (my 2ndchoice!)

Yeah I applied in May.
Ah, okay. So in my case where I've met the offer BUT they don't know it yet, will I get an offer on the 24th? All they would say is that if I applied before 31st July that I'm guaranteed accommodation, but am worried it could be crap accommodation ie where they send people they couldn't allocate to their first two choices :frown:

I don't know how they handle these cases. The Accommodation Guarantee is detailed at http://www.bristol.ac.uk/accommodation/undergraduate/guarantee/ -- but note the bit at the bottom that says "The Accommodation Guarantee will be withdrawn if any applicant has not met the terms of their offer of study by 31 August." If I were you, I'd interpret this as "you need to make sure that Bristol knows your results by then".

And don't assume that "less popular" means "crap".
Hey guys, just wondering what is the likelihood of being put into your first choice? I put wills as my first and Churchill as second and would be happy to go to either but for the third option I panicked and put down self catered and have no idea how to cook... Bristol was generally my first choice and I obtained the grades but I don't know if those factors will come into play when sorting out accommodation.
Original post by martin7
I don't know how they handle these cases. The Accommodation Guarantee is detailed at http://www.bristol.ac.uk/accommodation/undergraduate/guarantee/ -- but note the bit at the bottom that says "The Accommodation Guarantee will be withdrawn if any applicant has not met the terms of their offer of study by 31 August." If I were you, I'd interpret this as "you need to make sure that Bristol knows your results by then".

And don't assume that "less popular" means "crap".

I mean ones that could do with a refurb... I'm assuming that all the 3rd choice ones are usually the ones assigned to those who couldn't get their first or second choice halls.

*I've sent my results slips over, but they don't state an overal grade as they're not cashed-in. They show the marks out of UMS and I and my college have confirmed the overall UMS and corresponding grade. Just hoping someone will go to the grade boundaries documents on the exam boards website and just do the maths to corroborate 😐

They've said though that I'm guaranteed accommodation but that I won't get an offer until 5th September - is that when people who placed Bristol as insurance get their offers? Still worried about getting somewhere like The Rackhay or Unite Hall tbh.

Original post by MelissaaC
Hey guys, just wondering what is the likelihood of being put into your first choice? I put wills as my first and Churchill as second and would be happy to go to either but for the third option I panicked and put down self catered and have no idea how to cook... Bristol was generally my first choice and I obtained the grades but I don't know if those factors will come into play when sorting out accommodation.

http://www.bristol.ac.uk/accommodation/media/docs/application-spaces-ratio.pdf

Apparently 86% get one of their three preferred choices.

Save a few recipes of dishes you like from Jamie Oliver/BBC/Nigella in the mean time!
(edited 7 years ago)
So we're supposed to get our confirmations today. Anyone know if they send an email or do we have to keep logging into the website?
Original post by Buonaparte
So we're supposed to get our confirmations today. Anyone know if they send an email or do we have to keep logging into the website?

According to the pink box at http://www.bristol.ac.uk/accommodation/

"You will be sent an email with a link for you to log in and access details of your accommodation offer. If you applied before 31st July your offer will be confirmed on 24 August and if you apply by 31st August your offer will be confirmed on 5 September. "

... and also see http://www.bristol.ac.uk/accommodation/undergraduate/accommodation-offers/ for more information. Note that it says "You normally have 3-4 days in which to accept your offer", so don't delay!
The Rackhay! Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! :frown:
Reply 859
Original post by TheThiefOfBagdad
The Rackhay! Noooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo! :frown:

Same. :frown:That's kind of annoying I was really hoping for a ensuite

Quick Reply

Latest