The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Bristol Uni Accommodation Info MKII (Please post all questions here)

Scroll to see replies

Is anyone here from another country? I am from an EU country and I am worried about my electrical equipment like blowdryer flat iron etc which don't have English standart chargers. My idea was to buy a multi socket adapter but on the website it says that it is not allowed to bring one in the residences. It also says that all equipment must be in accordance to the English standart for chargers. Does anybody even check these things or what? Should I just change my chargers ends to English ones?
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Reply 81
Original post by mihaelast
Is anyone here from another country? I am from an EU country and I am worried about my electrical equipment like blowdryer flat iron etc which don't have English standart chargers. My idea was to buy a multi socket adapter but on the website it says that it is not allowed to bring one in the residences. It also says that all equipment must be in accordance to the English standart for chargers. Does anybody even check these things or what? Should I just change my chargers ends to English ones?

Buy some adapters from Amazon! Simps. These: http://www.amazon.co.uk/European-UK-Adapter-Plug-Adaptor-A/dp/B0039K5XNC
The ones that are banned are the extension cable adapter multi plugs (the ones where you turn one socket into about five different plug ports). They don't want you using them for the reason that you might overload the plug (and cost a fortune in electric!)
You would be allowed to have the EU to British plug adapters! If in doubt though, phone the accommodation office.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by k4l397
Fairly certain there isn't anything timetabled until monday, so probably is just a cooling off period. Not sure if anything is organised by SU and Halls before that though. Also yep you are expected to cook on first night, although there will probably be plenty of places to buy food near accomadation (depends where your staying really), if you don't feel up to it.

Not true! It depends on your hall. At my hall (self catered) we're hosting a free meal on the first night to help y'all get settled in. In-house events should be planned!
Original post by chapmouse
Not true! It depends on your hall. At my hall (self catered) we're hosting a free meal on the first night to help y'all get settled in. In-house events should be planned!

Really? Never knew, hope they do it at mine then :P
So are we only allowed to plug in one appliance at a time? :/
Original post by ssargithan
So are we only allowed to plug in one appliance at a time? :/

Might vary hall to hall but I read in one of the booklets for mine that we can plug in extensions provided you do it one per socket.
There are two different multisocket plugs :
Attachment not found
and the Little one ImageUploadedByStudent Room1440369203.909885.jpg . Aren't we allowed even with the long one with safety clips?
From my time in the Hawthorns long extension cables were permitted. I know this because I had a safty inspection happen whilst I was sat in my room, the inspector looked at the extension cable but didn't raise any issues. However, I returned to my room another day to discover a note on top of my fridge telling me to remove it or it would be seized by the University. This was the Hawthorns though so other residences might have other policies.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 88
Original post by k4l397
Might vary hall to hall but I read in one of the booklets for mine that we can plug in extensions provided you do it one per socket.

Might be worth ringing to clarify. I was told (for catered halls) you weren't allowed extension leads or multi socket adapters or kettles or fridges!
It varies so much though. Bristol seem annoyingly strict with everything. I was looking into Nottingham catered halls before, and they provided you with a mini-fridge in your room and actually asked you to bring an extension cable! Spoilt! Not fair!!
Although you weren't allowed a proper hair drier. It had to be a tiny travel one (under 900watts) haaaaah. What a reduced existence! 😆😆
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 89
Original post by Random_PC_Errors
From my time in the Hawthorns long extension cables were permitted. I know this because I had a safty inspection happen whilst I was sat in my room, the inspector looked at the extension cable but didn't raise any issues. However, I returned to my room another day to discover a note on top of my fridge telling me to remove it or it would be seized by the University. This was the Hawthorns though so other residences might have other policies.

Did you remove the fridge?!
(edited 8 years ago)
What?!? NO HAIRDRYERS?! I am literally Rapunzel!
Original post by arty
Might be worth ringing to clarify. I was told (for catered halls) you weren't allowed extension leads or multi socket adapters or kettles or fridges!
It varies so much though. Bristol seem annoyingly strict with everything. I was looking into Nottingham catered halls before, and they provided you with a mini-fridge in your room and actually asked you to bring an extension cable! Spoilt! Not fair!!
Although you weren't allowed a proper hair drier. It had to be a tiny travel one (under 900watts) haaaaah. What a reduced existence! 😆😆

Well even if there is rules against it, I'm gonna have no choice but to break em :P My usual tech set up requires a minimum of 5 sockets, and that's before I get onto chargers... Just checked it in the handbook to be sure and they said it's fine provided the load is under 13amps and it's limited to one per socket. Tbh, the only way they could tell is if they do a 'safety check' (I think that's what they call it), and I'm pretty sure they need to give notice for it too (not 100% though). You can just quickly hide all the extensions before they have a look :P
Original post by arty
Did you remove the fridge?!

Yes, it now lives with my parents as the drinks fridge :P
Yes, it now lives with my parents as the drinks fridge :P

So you had a fridge in the room AND a socket extension ?
I had all my extension sockets used up, plus all the extra plugs around the room full up as well including the fridge. Although prior to room inspections I would always tidy the cables up and untangle them. If you keep your room neat it goes a long way in preventing it looking like a fire hazard.
it says on the website no alcohol, what's the deal with that
Please tell me you could use a hairdryer. I swear I am not going to uni if they won't let me *cries in corner*
Original post by justmichael
it says on the website no alcohol, what's the deal with that

To be honest it's more a legal wavier in case someone gets hurt in Freshers week and the University is accused of encouraging drinking. This rule is not enforced at all, don't worry about it.
Original post by jo_ann24
Please tell me you could use a hairdryer. I swear I am not going to uni if they won't let me *cries in corner*

I can't see why not!
To be honest it's more a legal wavier in case someone gets hurt in Freshers week and the University is accused of encouraging drinking. This rule is not enforced at all, don't worry about it.

ahh, a 'dont be an idiot' clause cheers

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending