The Student Room Group

Share your experiences of uni life and help thousands of students

Hey everyone :h:

The Student Room community are currently building their own university league table based on the elements of uni life that matter most to you.

We know this super comprehensive league table will help thousands of students to make a decision about which unis to apply to. To make it the best it can be we need your help :bl:

You can now complete our survey and rate your uni via Uni Match here https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/ - go to "rate your uni" above Top 5 on the tool bar

:rave:
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I WANNA HEAR HOW PEOPLE GOT ON AT STUDENT HALLS Pls
Original post by 

Are you off to uni in September? :smile:
Original post by She-Ra
Are you off to uni in September? :smile:

Nope, I'm applying this year and just wanting to know whether i should apply to nearby universities and what life in halls is like.

P.s: This thread has kicked off to a great start. :/

Edit: for some reason i thought this thread was posted like a month ago, i don't remember coming on here 4 days ago :O
Original post by 
Nope, I'm applying this year and just wanting to know whether i should apply to nearby universities and what life in halls is like.

P.s: This thread has kicked off to a great start. :/

Edit: for some reason i thought this thread was posted like a month ago, i don't remember coming on here 4 days ago :O

It was more of an announcement than a discussion :wink: It may pick up over time, who knows! :h:

Brilliant, what kind of subject courses and region of the UK are you looking at?

I had a good time in halls - I was in self-catering flats (5 flatmates) but all girls. If I did it again I'd probably prefer to go mixed. The accommodation was only a 10 minute walk from campus which made life very easy.

Happy to chat more if you have any questions.
Reply 5
Original post by 

Hi!

I studied in Plymouth having moved from Norwich (so a good 6-7hrs away from home!) At Marjon (The University of St. Mark and St. John) we had the option of living in halls or in "the Village". Halls were your standard big block of flats, with each floor having two separate areas for two different sets of students, each with separate rooms, a large shared kitchen/communal area, and two shared bathrooms. Each area housed about 8-10 students.

The Village was an area on campus with lots of 5 bedroom houses on it, one shared kitchen, a separate communal room, two toilets (one on each floor) and one shared shower.

If you chose to be in halls, you had an extra £700ish added to your first term's rent which was put on a "Dining-In Scheme" (DIS) card. It basically meant you had a prepaid card for buying food on campus. If you went to the Village, you didn't have this extra expense, but it meant you had to budget really carefully and make sure you always had money aside for food.

I decided I wanted to be in the Village, as the walls in Halls seemed to be very, very thin and I didn't want to be as cramped together with so many people. I applied to live in the Student Village, and it was actually really nice! It felt really weird living in a house with people who came from so very different places to me, but we quickly began to learn how to live together. The house itself was nice, the walls were fairly thick so you couldn't hear everything, but sometimes parties and people coming home after a night clubbing made it quite loud both in the house and in the surrounding area, but that seems to be a staple of student life if you live on campus anywhere!

It was really cool being so close to the Uni, and being central to student life. I certainly didn't have any issues with being so far from home due to my accommodation. :smile:

Does this help? Are there any other questions I might be able to help with?
Reply 6
This seems like a really good idea. I'll try and fill it out once I've done a few weeks here.
Reply 7
Original post by She-Ra
It was more of an announcement than a discussion :wink: It may pick up over time, who knows! :h:

Brilliant, what kind of subject courses and region of the UK are you looking at?

I had a good time in halls - I was in self-catering flats (5 flatmates) but all girls. If I did it again I'd probably prefer to go mixed. The accommodation was only a 10 minute walk from campus which made life very easy.

Happy to chat more if you have any questions.

I'm applying for uni this year, and I was wondering if you can pick whether you want to live with mixed roommates or the same gender. I'm American so forgive me if this is common knowledge!
Original post by ShelGroo
I'm applying for uni this year, and I was wondering if you can pick whether you want to live with mixed roommates or the same gender. I'm American so forgive me if this is common knowledge!

Hiya,

Usually you'll have a preference form. You may not have to have a roommate at all! If you did then there'd most definitely be an option for mixed or same sex roommates, though I'm inclined to say that the UK wouldn't really offer mixed sex roommates.

If you want to ask any more student accommodation questions, the best avenue to do so is in the Student accommodation forum. Just make a new thread in there and someone will soon be along to answer! :h:
Original post by 

I just started uni 3 weeks ago and i really like where I live. I live in Albany park in st andrews, it's sort of like a student village consisting of around 60 6 person houses (yeah actual houses!) although at the moment there's only 5 in mine. I'm in an all girls house and it's quite nice. we have a kitchen, living room, bathroom and extra toilet upstairs. It's great living with a variety of people and the hall community is amazing (loads of FREE events with FREE FOOD AND ALCOHOL from pre drinks to coffee and cake) for example tonight we all had free pizza. It's nice to live in a house and have your own home but still know other people in other houses at the same time. Also it's really nice to be independant...sometimes when you're tired cooking/laundry/cleaning can be dire but you get used to it :smile:
Original post by Roving Fish
Hiya,

Usually you'll have a preference form. You may not have to have a roommate at all! If you did then there'd most definitely be an option for mixed or same sex roommates, though I'm inclined to say that the UK wouldn't really offer mixed sex roommates.

If you want to ask any more student accommodation questions, the best avenue to do so is in the Student accommodation forum. Just make a new thread in there and someone will soon be along to answer! :h:

Thank you so much!
Reply 11
We have a new blog that went live today which will be discussing university life... giving advice, talking about our experiences and hopefully responding to what people want to here :smile:

Have a look and hopefully we can help you

http://3oldstudents.blogspot.co.uk/

x
What's the likeliness of getting your first choice accommodation?
Original post by 

Hiya, I'm a first year at bangor university in north wales. It's great for a friendly city and it's also really small too, so you get to know people really easy. The social life is also great, drinks are cheap.
Halls are great, you have the best of both worlds, being on campus close to all the action, but if you're in an older building you get some peace and quiet.

With regards to flatmates, try to be as sociable as possible in the first few weeks as it will set a good example. Introduce yourself to your flat mates and tell them what you're studying etc and ask what their plans are for freshers. My first night, we all chilled in one of my flat mates rooms and got to know each other. Social media is great for that too. :smile: Don't lock yourself in your room!! That night then I went on a pub crawl with people from my school.

It can be cold, so make sure you have plenty of warm pjs and blankets, onsies are optional.

Anything else you want to know, reply with a question. :smile:

What are you looking to study?
It's ****e, don't bother.
Reply 15
Hi guys, could I have a bit of help please.:colondollar: I am doing a questionnaire for English to find out how young people in 2015/16 are feeling about their futures. If you could answer I would be really happy. I will post the results here in Jan for you all to see!!:biggrin:1| "What do you desire most in life?"2| "What do you do to lift your spirits when feeling down?"3| "What online networks do you use to empower yourselves?"4| "If you could be told an amazing piece of advice with regards to your future what would it be?"5| "Do you feel capable of achieving you dreams" - Why/whynot?6| "What do you usually do to motivate yourself and chase your goals?Thank you so much guys!!
Hello guys!I received offers from Durham (Combined Honours in Social Sciences), Newcastle (Combined Honours) and Lancaster (Management, Politics and International Relations). I am thinking about firming Durham, but I am not sure. As for the insurance I really have no idea. Do you have any advices? As I am an European student, unfortunately, I am not able to come and visit the universities. i am mostly interested in prestige/graduate prospects (for Business and International relations)International outlookThe friendliness of the placeThe type of lifestyleI would be very happy with a great degree and a welcomimg community that you can easily bond with.If you cam share your opinions amd maybe some insights of these places I would be more than grateful. Sorry for the long post :smile:
Go to Durham!!As for your other Uni choices, check out the student satisfaction in the uni, and also check out the campus if you have time.I would say its really your choice. because everyone might say (for example) that Lancaster is waaaaaaay better, but you find out that its not really your taste.But still do research, and also consider factors like how far it is from home, your parents consent and the way the courses are in the respective uni's.Hope it helps lol!
Original post by She-Ra
Hey everyone :h:

The Student Room community are currently building their own university league table based on the elements of uni life that matter most to you.

We know this super comprehensive league table will help thousands of students to make a decision about which unis to apply to. To make it the best it can be we need your help :bl:

if you haven't yet complete our survey and rate your uni and we'll integrate it into our new league table.

:rave:

I can't my university isn't on the list
The university of Hertfordshire
Original post by luceyajkeast
I can't my university isn't on the list
The university of Hertfordshire

We've built a review on TSR now :woo:

Use this link now https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/university/ and go to "rate your uni" above Top 5 on the tool bar :smile: Herts is definitely on the list :h:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending