The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Why is a large butt so desirable in white culture nowadays?

As a black man I've been aware of how in black culture having a large or very large bum (let's say between 40"-55") was a desirable physical feature to have and for a time white society made it clear that having a large butt was ugly. Then came J-Lo and Beyonce with sizeable butts but still rather small when compared to many urban models. Now with the likes of Kim Kardashian and Nicki Minaj in the spotlight suddenly there's a whole re-evaluation in white culture whether a large butt is attractive or not.

Now many white women are getting surgery to make themselves curvier, wearing padded underwear and reshaping jeans to get a boost and annoyingly it's white women who are getting a lot of attention for having "big butts" even though African women and Brazilian women have had large butts for generations. Does anyone remember Jen Selter who has "the internet's best bum"? It seems like a black woman has a big bum and she's ignored but a white woman has a round bum and she gets sports deals and featured on copious news sites and magazines. Then there's "The Big Butt Book" an actual book about big butts has a white woman on the cover despite black and Brazilian women actually being known for having big butts. It's puzzling.

I'm not saying white women can't have big butts; I can name white women with big butts, I'm just asking why are white women suddenly wanting larger and fuller butts when years ago this was an an unattractive feature? Is it simply the ongoing change in what's beautiful?
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Bcozza da booty.

Spoiler

Original post by KingNobleStone
there is no such thing as black culture... oh, and get over the race hate/bitterness, and accept people can like what they like..

Yes there is such a thing as black culture. And it's not race hatred or bitterness, it's called making observations. But of course there are those who automatically assume that because one race has something to say about another it must be racial hatred, right?

Anyway, my observations have been mentioned in the above post so I hope people can shine some light on this.
Original post by TheWorldEndsWithYou
Yes there is such a thing as black culture. And it's not race hatred or bitterness, it's called making observations. But of course there are those who automatically assume that because one race has something to say about another it must be racial hatred, right?

Anyway, my observations have been mentioned in the above post so I hope people can shine some light on this.

cos Jamaicians, Bajans, Ghanaians, Nigerians, all have different culture...got it now..
It's called Cultural Appropriation, or in simple terms, stealing other people's culture.

White people do it all the time. It's not just with their current obsession with big bottoms it's also their fixation with wanting to look black without having to suffer through any of the discrimination and struggle of being a person of colour in the Western world. They want big lips like us, dark skin like us, big hips like us... Yet only a decade ago all these features were heavily ridiculed and used to undermine black people especially the big lips which they called us monkeys for having them.

White people even wear their hair in dreadlocks now, a damn joke... If I ever saw a white person in dreadlocks IRL I'd walk up them and ask why they were stealing my culture.

And it's not just stealing from black culture white people steal from other cultures too especially with the bindi and they call it boho chic how demeaning is that?
What the hell is "White culture"?
Reply 6
Large butts have always been desirable in every culture.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Danny McCoyne
It's called Cultural Appropriation, or in simple terms, stealing other people's culture.

White people do it all the time. It's not just with their current obsession with big bottoms it's also their fixation with wanting to look black without having to suffer through any of the discrimination and struggle of being a person of colour in the Western world. They want big lips like us, dark skin like us, big hips like us... Yet only a decade ago all these features were heavily ridiculed and used to undermine black people especially the big lips which they called us monkeys for having them.

White people even wear their hair in dreadlocks now, a damn joke... If I ever saw a white person in dreadlocks IRL I'd walk up them and ask why they were stealing my culture.

Is this a joke?
I think large butts (and breasts) are ugly, I never understood the obsession with JLO's ass, its oversized. Then again I'm into thin girls so thats probably why.

PS: there is no such thing as cultural appropriation, people need to get a life and start complaining about actual problems
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by RollerBall
What the hell is "White culture"?

Well society is divided into different cultures and although it blurs in some aspects they contrast in others. Fashion and beauty is a good place to see the differences. For example, in black culture (African/African American etc culture) women with full hips, big breasts and thicker thighs are often the most desired. In white culture slimmer women with more proportioned features are most desired but then there are trends like size 0, thigh gaps etc. And in Brazilian culture large, muscular legs and glutes are considered beautiful.

Original post by driftawaay
PS: there is no such thing as cultural appropriation, people need to get a life and start complaining about actual problems

I disagree, Zumba, Belly-Dancing and Twerking have all been appropriated from other cultures. There are probably others if you do some research.

And you're on this site too so you've probably made some threads where people could have said "get a life and complain about actual problems".
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by RollerBall
Is this a joke?

Stop using levity to deflect from the issues raised by the OP.

Dreadlocks are specific to black people and it's a part of their heritage and culture, whenever white people wear them they're appropriating black people's culture as their own without acknowledging their position of privilege from which they do not experience discrimination or oppression for being different.
Original post by Danny McCoyne
Stop using levity to deflect from the issues raised by the OP.

Dreadlocks are specific to black people and it's a part of their heritage and culture, whenever white people wear them they're appropriating black people's culture as their own without acknowledging their position of privilege from which they do not experience discrimination or oppression for being different.

Dreadlocks are not part of black culture and can be found in many religious/cultures. The Jews have been dreadlocking hair for centuries and introduced dreadlocks to the Rastafarians (As Judaism and Rastafarianism are closely linked.)

"Dreadlocks, sometimes called simply dreads or locks, are matted ropes of hair which will form by themselves if the hair is allowed to grow naturally without the use of brushes, combs, razors or scissors for a long period of time. Dreadlocks are a universal phenomenon and through the ages, people of various cultures have worn dreadlocks. It can be said that what are known today as "dreadlocks" are one of the oldest and most universal hairstyles known."

http://forums.rasta-man.co.uk/smf/in...ic=3507.0;wap2
Reply 12

There isn't really such a thing as 'black culture' - that's way too broad.

The reason likely is that lighter skinned women with big bums started becoming famous and seen as attractive

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Wade-
There isn't really such a thing as 'black culture' - that's way too broad.

The reason likely is that lighter skinned women with big bums started becoming famous and seen as attractive

Posted from TSR Mobile

Your first point is debatable because doing a quickly google search on the term "black culture" does bring results.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African-American_culture

For example.

As for your second point that's probably likely.
Well society is divided into different cultures and although it blurs in some aspects they contrast in others. Fashion and beauty is a good place to see the differences. For example, in black culture (African/African American etc culture) women with full hips, big breasts and thicker thighs are often the most desired. In white culture slimmer women with more proportioned features are most desired but then there are trends like size 0, thigh gaps etc. And in Brazilian culture large, muscular legs and glutes are considered beautiful.

I disagree, Zumba, Belly-Dancing and Twerking have all been appropriated from other cultures. There are probably others if you do some research.

And you're on this site too so you've probably made some threads where people could have said "get a life and complain about actual problems".

Okay, well, I disagree and will state it again: cultural appropriation does not exist. :smile:

I don't really care about what people 'could have said'. :h:
Lol same with fuller lips, black women were ridiculed for years about them.
Your first point is debatable because doing a quickly google search on the term "black culture" does bring results.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/African-American_culture

For example.

As for your second point that's probably likely.

I think what they mean is that there's no monolithic, universal black culture that can apply to most/all black people. Blacks in Jamaica, for instance, are culturally distinct from blacks in Africa or the US.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Pulse.
Large butts have always been desirable in every culture.

Well somebody doesn't remember the 1980s!
Just because a black person wears blue contacts and long straight hair doesn't mean she wants to be white. Just because a white person has braided hair and wants a bigger butt doesn't mean she wants to be black. It's so annoying that everything is now deemed "stealing culture". It's about appreciating the culture. Instead of complaining that white people want bigger asses why don't you appreciate that we lust after them. The fact we like those "black" features (e.g braids, fuller lips, big butts) just means we've gained a national love for all races. Why can't we just embrace that rather than making it a hate crime?

If I want bigger lips and braids, that doesn't mean I'm deliberately wanting to steal black peoples culture, it means I love how they look on people and want to experience that myself.

It's like saying if a black woman prefers being thinner, with a small butt and small boobs, no one ever complains that she's stealing "white culture". But the second a girl works out so make her butt bigger, maybe has a boob job or whatever she is accused to stealing black culture.

The difference in culture is beautiful and all cultures are beautiful. Instead of making everything a "racist act" or "stealing culture" just accept that some people enjoy dressing, or looking like another culture because they think it's beautiful.

Fyi I'm not attacking the OP or anything, I've just been seeing these kinda things a lot and it's beginning to get annoying.
Original post by maddie.gardiner
Just because a black person wears blue contacts and long straight hair doesn't mean she wants to be white. Just because a white person has braided hair and wants a bigger butt doesn't mean she wants to be black. It's so annoying that everything is now deemed "stealing culture". It's about appreciating the culture. Instead of complaining that white people want bigger asses why don't you appreciate that we lust after them. The fact we like those "black" features (e.g braids, fuller lips, big butts) just means we've gained a national love for all races. Why can't we just embrace that rather than making it a hate crime?

If I want bigger lips and braids, that doesn't mean I'm deliberately wanting to steal black peoples culture, it means I love how they look on people and want to experience that myself.

It's like saying if a black woman prefers being thinner, with a small butt and small boobs, no one ever complains that she's stealing "white culture". But the second a girl works out so make her butt bigger, maybe has a boob job or whatever she is accused to stealing black culture.

The difference in culture is beautiful and all cultures are beautiful. Instead of making everything a "racist act" or "stealing culture" just accept that some people enjoy dressing, or looking like another culture because they think it's beautiful.

Fyi I'm not attacking the OP or anything, I've just been seeing these kinda things a lot and it's beginning to get annoying.

I hope you're not attacking, me because I never used the term "stealing culture" and am simply asking why having a large bum is so desired now amongst white women when that clearly wasn't the case before.

Latest

Trending

Trending