The Student Room Group

DofE or extra A-level?

Hi guys,
I'm starting my A-levels in a week or so and am going to be doing biology, chemistry, physics and maths. However, at my sixth form we're offered 'enrichment activities' that allow us to do a wider range of things. I'm just split between signing up for the Duke of Edinburgh award (I haven't done one of these before) or AS level creative writing. Both of these would be good I feel but I'm really unsure which one to do because we can only do one extra thing. The creative writing would provide me with an extra A level and show that I have a wider range of skills outside of science and maths, but the DofE would also show that I have other qualities but would not actually be another AS level. So, which one do you think would be best for me to have when the time comes to apply to university?
All replies are appreciated and thanks for reading this
Do DofE and then do creative writing as your skill section
would have to say duke of Edinburgh.
I
Reply 3
Do DofE out of school, it takes no time out of usual activities if you already do the hour of skill/physical/volunteering a week (so max. adds 3 hours a week although you should already be doing sport!) and then you can also do the AS!
Duke of Edinburgh - but can't guarantee that you'll like it. I'm guessing you're doing Silver?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
Beware if you do choose Duke of Edinburgh, you are not allowed to go straight to gold, you must have at least done bronze or silver beforehand, this may impact your choice.
Reply 6
I would recommend DofE. Although it sounds as though you will only be doing the Bronze section, the scheme provides you with plenty of opportunity to show your wide range of extra-curricular activities and also allows you to discuss several skills learnt that may not be learnt in a classroom but are useful for university and later life (e.g. leadership, teamwork).

However, the key thing is what you plan on doing for DofE to make it special.
Reply 7
Thanks very much for the replies guys, as for DofE, I assume I'd do the silver one. I'll actually do some research on doing it outside of school because then I could do both which would be amazing!
Original post by shredder457
Thanks very much for the replies guys, as for DofE, I assume I'd do the silver one. I'll actually do some research on doing it outside of school because then I could do both which would be amazing!

I'm doing Gold atm but it's really good for me because I picked up photography at school and used it as my skill so I got to do both
Original post by Gwenuin
Beware if you do choose Duke of Edinburgh, you are not allowed to go straight to gold, you must have at least done bronze or silver beforehand, this may impact your choice.

Pretty sure you can go straight to gold, you don't have to do the previous ones although many do
Hi guys,
I'm starting my A-levels in a week or so and am going to be doing biology, chemistry, physics and maths. However, at my sixth form we're offered 'enrichment activities' that allow us to do a wider range of things. I'm just split between signing up for the Duke of Edinburgh award (I haven't done one of these before) or AS level creative writing. Both of these would be good I feel but I'm really unsure which one to do because we can only do one extra thing. The creative writing would provide me with an extra A level and show that I have a wider range of skills outside of science and maths, but the DofE would also show that I have other qualities but would not actually be another AS level. So, which one do you think would be best for me to have when the time comes to apply to university?

Depends which uni you want to go to I guess. Personally i'd choose the extra AS level. I read a telegraph article which was about personal statements and it had advise from Oxbridge admissions officers - one of them said that they didn't care much about Duke of Edinburgh award (or words to that affect).
It could be good for building skills and doing some voluntary work experience, but of course an AS level is going to be worth some points which you'll need with uni application if you go to a points based university :-)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by AstroNandos
Pretty sure you can go straight to gold, you don't have to do the previous ones although many do

I agree with the original poster of this comment, sure you have to do at least one before gold but i'm not sure. Best thing to do is look it up :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Hi guys,

Hey chick, D of E would look best for a personal statement, but what level would you be doing?

Don't go straight to gold! The last group I knew who did that got sooooooooo lost they phoned the police (No joke!)

EDIT: Ah I see you said you are doing silver :h:
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 13
Original post by AstroNandos

Sorry I think you can't go straight into gold only through our school, you seem to be right so I stand corrected! Although the timescales are definitely longer for people who have skipped out an award...

Quick Reply

Latest