The Student Room Group

On Trips and Induction

I got a communique today about the whole freshers/induction week with regards to times and such. It says to report in advance if you can't attend a session, I'm not sure how much of a big deal these things really are though. For example one day I'm expected to get there for 10AM for just a single hours worth of a briefing about the library, seems like a waste of a day to me, would I be missed if I didn't go?

We also have a trip into London on the Friday, it just says to meet at the station. Would I expect something like this to be all paid for? It really doesn't give much information, normally I'd assume I had to pay, but considering I'm paying for university I'd imagine stuff like this would be included? That same afternoon there's also an event for greeting international students, I guess mostly I just want to know if attending these events is as critical as they make out.

Also, I'd be really great if they could give us some kind of hint on our timetable as I need to arrange travel and don't know what days or times I'm expected to go in. Is this information you can obtain anywhere or am I expected to wait until, really, it's a bit late?
Original post by gundog48
I got a communique today about the whole freshers/induction week with regards to times and such. It says to report in advance if you can't attend a session, I'm not sure how much of a big deal these things really are though. For example one day I'm expected to get there for 10AM for just a single hours worth of a briefing about the library, seems like a waste of a day to me, would I be missed if I didn't go?

We also have a trip into London on the Friday, it just says to meet at the station. Would I expect something like this to be all paid for? It really doesn't give much information, normally I'd assume I had to pay, but considering I'm paying for university I'd imagine stuff like this would be included? That same afternoon there's also an event for greeting international students, I guess mostly I just want to know if attending these events is as critical as they make out.

Also, I'd be really great if they could give us some kind of hint on our timetable as I need to arrange travel and don't know what days or times I'm expected to go in. Is this information you can obtain anywhere or am I expected to wait until, really, it's a bit late?

You probably won't be missed but trust me it is helpful to know where everything is in the library. I missed my library session because it clashed with something else and it meant it took me longer than it should have done to find the books I needed.
And as far as the timetable goes, obviously it varies by uni but mine released ours in September once everyone on the course & their module preferences had been confirmed so its normal for unis to wait in 1st year. Email the uni if you want to find out when yours will come.
Original post by gundog48

How is it a waste of a day? You're finished by 11 and have the rest of the day to yourself. Also, get used to it because you may have days on your timetable when you're only in for an hour or two per day.

I doubt the London trip would be paid for, but that's something you'd have to clarify.

It just seems really silly to me that you'd pay all of that money to go to uni and then skip the first 3 things that they arrange to try and help you settle in...

First years don't tend to get their lecture timetables until freshers week at the earliest and then if it's anything like my uni used to do it (changed this year), then tutorials won't be confirmed until week two, so you won't know your full timetable until then. My uni has changed it so we get our full final timetable two weeks before classes start now though.

You should've been thinking about travel arrangements prior to now anyway. You obviously knew you were going to uni and would be expected to be there at different times on different days, I'm not really sure how it will be too late to arrange travel unless you expect someone to drive you to and from uni everyday and you need to give them notice.
Reply 3
Original post by GoingToBurst
How is it a waste of a day? You're finished by 11 and have the rest of the day to yourself. Also, get used to it because you may have days on your timetable when you're only in for an hour or two per day.

I doubt the London trip would be paid for, but that's something you'd have to clarify.

It just seems really silly to me that you'd pay all of that money to go to uni and then skip the first 3 things that they arrange to try and help you settle in...

First years don't tend to get their lecture timetables until freshers week at the earliest and then if it's anything like my uni used to do it (changed this year), then tutorials won't be confirmed until week two, so you won't know your full timetable until then. My uni has changed it so we get our full final timetable two weeks before classes start now though.

You should've been thinking about travel arrangements prior to now anyway. You obviously knew you were going to uni and would be expected to be there at different times on different days, I'm not really sure how it will be too late to arrange travel unless you expect someone to drive you to and from uni everyday and you need to give them notice.

Well I'd have spent more time travelling than actually doing anything! My uni has quite a high contact time and is more project based than just lectures, so it wouldn't really be a common occurrence. I've used enough libraries to know how a library works and I'm pretty sure I'll soon work out the quirks of ours, it's bound to be written down somewhere anyway!

As to that point, that's not what I'm paying for, I'm paying for a year's tuition and relevant exams and certification. I'm not really bothered about some of the stuff, so I'm just choosing not to do it.

I'll drop a line to the uni to see when they release the timetables, I had kinda assumed that not getting anything about that yet made us a bit of an outlier, but it seems pretty normal. With regards to travel arrangements, I plan to either use the bus or train, but they're not exactly leaving every 20mins so I'd like to know the rough times to see if it's even viable before I buy a pass!
Reply 4
You'd be surprised how much of your tuition fee goes towards the library. Uni libraries subscribe to a massive range of journals and other resources which will all be available to you as a student, to enable you to produce top quality work. It's true that you can work quite a bit out for yourself but I would still go to the talk as there are bound to be things you can't. If there really is nothing else going on that day, which I doubt, you could spend a few hours in the library after the talk.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 5
I missed my library induction session due to a subject clash. Unfortunately it talked you through the automated checkout/return machines, how to load the cash card for copying charges, how to work the computerised journal racking systems and how to use the photocopiers/scanners. The online catalogue's Search facility was also a bit cranky and there was a knack to finding what you wanted. Took ages to figure it all out for myself.

Just being able to find your way round a library isn't the same as being able to use it effectively. They're pretty tech-heavy these days.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending