The Student Room Group

Working In Fashion Retail

I've just started a new part-time job in a small chain of fairly expensive fashion stores. It's the first time I've ever worked in fashion retail before, so I'm very new to how it works. As the products are pretty expensive and the stored are rather small, we are told to continue a conversation with the customer the entire time they are in the store. However I am having a hard time doing this, especially when it is very clear the customer wants to be left alone. Has anyone worked in this kind of retail environment before, and do you have any tips for me?
Original post by klaineydays
I've just started a new part-time job in a small chain of fairly expensive fashion stores. It's the first time I've ever worked in fashion retail before, so I'm very new to how it works. As the products are pretty expensive and the stored are rather small, we are told to continue a conversation with the customer the entire time they are in the store. However I am having a hard time doing this, especially when it is very clear the customer wants to be left alone. Has anyone worked in this kind of retail environment before, and do you have any tips for me?

I think just because the store is expensive you shouldn't talk entire time with the customer. I just don't believe it is the right connection. Rather, have a look at the client's reaction while you are talking. Because, some people may perceive it to be quite annoying, don't overperform! I am sure the more you will work the better experience you will have in such situations!
Reply 2
Original post by Igor_Sukhorukov
I think just because the store is expensive you shouldn't talk entire time with the customer. I just don't believe it is the right connection. Rather, have a look at the client's reaction while you are talking. Because, some people may perceive it to be quite annoying, don't overperform! I am sure the more you will work the better experience you will have in such situations!

Thankyou this was really helpful! Unfortunately my manager has said to maintain a running conversation the whole time they're in the store, but I'll try and read the customer and just tell her they weren't interested next time; I agree that it can be annoying!
Original post by klaineydays
Thankyou this was really helpful! Unfortunately my manager has said to maintain a running conversation the whole time they're in the store, but I'll try and read the customer and just tell her they weren't interested next time; I agree that it can be annoying!

You are welcome! I guess just try to find a balance between listening and doing what you manager requires and not exaggerating with the talking. I am sure you will be fine! If it's not a secret, which retailer are you working for?)

Quick Reply