The Student Room Group

Self teaching humanities/ heavy essay based courses?

Hey guys,
I'm thinking of self teaching English Literature at A level but so far it's looking quite difficult.
Not having a teacher to mark my assignments/essays and not having classroom discussions make things a lot more challenging. In terms of coursework too, teacher's normally guide students, helping them to re-draft and improve their coursework essays.

But do you know any one who self taught humanity courses that were heavily essay based such as English lit? If so I would appreciate it to hear their journey self teaching and how well they did in the end. I just really need advise and inspiration.
Thank you :smile:
Reply 1
dont do it, coursework is whats going to bring your grade up and that can't be done without the help of a teacher
Reply 2
Original post by faux pas
dont do it, coursework is whats going to bring your grade up and that can't be done without the help of a teacher

Darn, I did not face the truth lol
I'm thinking what to do now, so has no one at all tired? Maybe I should join an access course but it doesn't seem that helpful. Some of the notes presented were ones you could find online from Tes.co,uk. Maybe I'll get a tutor that I could see one a week for English lit.
English Lit is a really formulaic exam, it's really difficult to pick up marks without a teacher to explain how to answer each question. I did AQA English Lit B which doesn't run anymore so I'm not sure about the other boards but I can't imagine them being so different. I would definitely recommend getting a tutor, English Lit is not a subject you can really teach yourself I'm afraid. Tbh I barely did any work on it all year apart from analysing texts and doing practice questions :tongue:
Original post by Cherry82
Darn, I did not face the truth lol
I'm thinking what to do now, so has no one at all tired? Maybe I should join an access course but it doesn't seem that helpful. Some of the notes presented were ones you could find online from Tes.co,uk. Maybe I'll get a tutor that I could see one a week for English lit.

What makes you think that an Access course won't be helpful? Something to do with your personal situation?
Unfortunately, for English, you will need a teacher's regular help.

However there are other humanities subjects you can study the content for by yourself and get input from a tutor once a week to work on exam technique :smile:

If you say an access course isn't helpful, then choose another humanities subject to self study?

Quick Reply