The Student Room Group

Rejecting job offers

I've applied for a few part time jobs I've interviewed for one and been invited for another interview for another and I'm waiting to hear back from another, if I get offered all three jobs is the employer likely to blacklist my name for turning down a job offer
Absolutely not. And if they did, you would be well within your rights to have them hung by the highest court in the land.

If you get multiple job offers good for you! If you are canny, you will use a second job offer to renegotiate (favourable to you of course) the terms / pay of your chosen job and then simply ring up the others and state you had a better offer. Multiple job offers puts you in a strong position.

That said - don't count your chickens. You don't have any offers yet.

Good luck!
Reply 2
Original post by ByEeek
Absolutely not. And if they did, you would be well within your rights to have them hung by the highest court in the land.

If you get multiple job offers good for you! If you are canny, you will use a second job offer to renegotiate (favourable to you of course) the terms / pay of your chosen job and then simply ring up the others and state you had a better offer. Multiple job offers puts you in a strong position.

That said - don't count your chickens. You don't have any offers yet.

Good luck!

Thanks for your advice, are you absolutely sure though, I feel like some jobs especially the ones you apply for online may keep a record of it
I would be very surprised. It is quite common for people to turn down offers. Anyway, if you are getting multiple offers for jobs anyone can apply for you are likely selling yourself short and should be applying for higher paid work!
no way, just be polite about it, send them an email/letter saying that you're really grateful for the opportunity but unfortunately you have had to accept another job due to pay/location/etc or even say that you have already accepted another offer

it's up to you to judge whether you can negotiate for extra pay/hours, it will depend on the job type

honestly I've turned up to an interview and said I'm applying for another job and will probably take that one if I get it and still been offered the job (with more favourable terms) - wouldn't recommend that, it was two jobs within the same company though so felt I should be honest as they'd probably find out anyway

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending