The Student Room Group

Didn't do well in AS-Level what do I do now?

So I got bbdd for my AS-level (Bs in Eco and Maths, and Ds in Further Maths and Physics) and have been predicted AAC (Eco, Maths, Fmaths) for A2. I wanted to study Maths at university however all the unis I want to apply to have an entry requirement of AAA or higher. Should I retake yr12 again so I can get the predicted grades I need for uni, or carry on to A2 and apply for a different course (and what course should I do and what uni),
or carry on to A2 work hard to achieve the entry requirements but this would mean applying for uni the year after because the unis only get my predicted grades
(If I was to take a gap year what would u recommend doing in it)
You could always resit some AS exams whilst doing A2.

I got DDDD in my AS levels, resat 3 exams (and dropped a subject) in A2 and now my AS levels are BBC. I think you'd be better to resit some of the further maths exams than to completely start over :smile: Your B's in eco and maths are great and you will most likely be able to achieve an A overall with some hard work. Universities will see that you're resitting exams and will most likely take this into consideration when giving you an offer.

Also, entry requirements are a nice guideline but often unis will give different offers, I know friends who applied to unis with AAA entry requirements and received AAB as offers or similar.
Reply 2
But the problem is that most unis want an A in further maths, do u think they'll still consider me if I'm predicted a B
Original post by azilani191
But the problem is that most unis want an A in further maths, do u think they'll still consider me if I'm predicted a B

I'm not an expert but I'd say most unis will still consider you; you could always apply to a range of unis that you would like to go to with different entry requirements, that way you have yourself covered. :smile:
With a good personal statement you could still be considered - my AS grades were BCEE and I was offered places at uni's asking for ABB

Posted from TSR Mobile
So I got bbdd for my AS-level (Bs in Eco and Maths, and Ds in Further Maths and Physics) and have been predicted AAC (Eco, Maths, Fmaths) for A2. I wanted to study Maths at university however all the unis I want to apply to have an entry requirement of AAA or higher. Should I retake yr12 again so I can get the predicted grades I need for uni, or carry on to A2 and apply for a different course (and what course should I do and what uni),
or carry on to A2 work hard to achieve the entry requirements but this would mean applying for uni the year after because the unis only get my predicted grades

how do u know what ur predicted when school hasn't started yet?
Reply 6

If your D in further maths was due to a lack of revision and you think you could have done a lot better then you should try and do a maths degree if that's what you want to do. But if you tried hard and still only achieved a D in further maths then you might struggle to do well in maths at university- the maths you learn at university will be far more complex than the maths taught in AS further maths. Just something to remember.

Quick Reply

Latest