The Student Room Group

I don't have four AS subjects which I enjoy

I'm really stressing out about what fourth option I should take for AS,
I want to do history at uni and have chosen, history,economics,eng lit for AS, but it's between;
Maths-If the teacher lets me, got A* at GCSE, always struggled with algebra, good at the other bits, and it grew on me during revision
French-had an A at GCSE, good for uni, don't really enjoy it, mum has degree in french so unlimited help at home
Geography-find it interesting, had a high A at gcse, but concerned of the ridiculous amount of learning,can be boring,

Arghh, any advice?
Original post by jackmolineux
I'm really stressing out about what fourth option I should take for AS,
I want to do history at uni and have chosen, history,economics,eng lit for AS, but it's between;
Maths-If the teacher lets me, got A* at GCSE, always struggled with algebra, good at the other bits, and it grew on me during revision
French-had an A at GCSE, good for uni, don't really enjoy it, mum has degree in french so unlimited help at home
Geography-find it interesting, had a high A at gcse, but concerned of the ridiculous amount of learning,can be boring,

Arghh, any advice?

I would only go for a subject that you really enjoy :smile:
Reply 2
Definitely pick one you enjoy. Don't let this put you off English Lit, but I had chosen that as my fourth AS subject, because I had no other subject to choose and i really really really hated the subject. It made schoolwork, revision, exams, coursework etc. such a drag. So definitely pick something you're prepared to study for 1-2 years :smile: From your descriptions, maths seems like the one! :biggrin:
Dont pick one that you hate, but I personally out of those would pick Geography. Many people find maths incredibly hard at AS compared to GCSE, and languages from my own experience is a step too - I did Spanish AS this year, had got an A* at GCSE with 100% UMS in 3/4 units or something like that, and ended up with a B at AS. Although I did end up prioritising history in the end regarding revision, if you want to do well, you've to put in a lot of time and effort, so if you don't love it, dont take it.
Geography was my best AS this year, and I feel a good subject to take as a 4th in your position. So long as you master the correct writing frame/style for the questions and learn the content, you'll be fine in it, and the variety of topics (or at least we did 4 on our AQA syllabus, two human and two physical) means you might find something that particularly interests you. In short, it doesn't seem to take a particularly high level of skill to excel, you just need to know how to write a good answer and learn the content to do so 😊
Maths is all about practice, and it definitely took the most time compared to my other subjects. English Lit and History are both challenging so it can be hard to juggle these both with Maths, but I actually loved having a non-essay subject to break it up a bit so that's something to keep in mind. If you like Maths, you'll be fine :smile:

If worse comes to worse and you don't do too well in it (I got a C lol) you can drop it and universities don't really care (I plan on applying for History too)

I LOVE History and English Lit, so good choices :tongue:
(edited 8 years ago)
I'd swap out English Lit to be able to take Maths and French, but I guess in your situation Maths is the better choice as you don't like French. (Though as you said you have a massive advantage if you choose it).

Quick Reply

Latest