The Student Room Group

What do you do out of lectures during first year university in terms of work?

Do you go over the notes and consolidate the information, read and extra read? What's the best way to get a first in your first year?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Don't bother, seriously. Get work experience.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just be smart and do an easy subject. I did pretty much 0 reading other than for actual essays and not just in the first year either
Reply 3
Original post by scrotgrot
Just be smart and do an easy subject. I did pretty much 0 reading other than for actual essays and not just in the first year either

Do an easy subject that I have no interest in and end up working at Asda by the end because I didn't care about it? Wonderful advice. :smile:
Reply 4
Original post by justag

Posted from TSR Mobile

Why can't I do both?
Original post by Captivated
Do an easy subject that I have no interest in and end up working at Asda by the end because I didn't care about it? Wonderful advice. :smile:

Well obv you should be interested in it!
Reply 6
Well obv you should be interested in it!

Then your advice is pretty useless if your subject isn't 'easy'.

Smart people don't do a subject on the basis of its ease.
Original post by justag

Posted from TSR Mobile

Out of curiosity what degree do you do?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 9
Original post by Exceptional

I wish I could rep you.
Original post by Exceptional

Why not? Depends what their goals are. Barring vocations, we are not America where it actually matters what degree you do
Why can't I do both?

You can.

I treated first year the same way I've treated the rest of uni - I want the best grades I can get. First year might not count towards your degree classification, but employers will certainly be interested in first year grades.

That isn't the point though. I had a set time a couple of days per week where I would sit with my lecture notes and the textbook/my textbook notes and make a good set of thorough notes that I could fully understand. I wrote them as if I was teaching it to someone who had no knowledge of the topic at all so that when I went back to them, they still made perfect sense.

I also had set times where I would work on tutorial work, coursework and do additional reading for context.

Surprisingly, most people say "oh there isn't really anything to do in week 1, your first lectures and introductory lectures and you won't have any tutorials or coursework" but you will have reading lists. Get ahead of your reading list and it'll save you lots of time during the busy parts of the semester. Example: I've completed my entire reading list for one of my modules this year already because that module has coursework every single week. I don't want to have to spend my time doing the required readings for the first time when I could be doing the coursework. Instead, I had some time over summer that I used to get that reading done so that I'm already familiar with the topics and have good notes for each chapter. I did this last year too and it was a lifesaver.
Reply 12
Why can't I do both?

Do both by all means, but prioritise work experience over trying to get a first. Sure you may feel satisfied within yourself, but all you need in life is a 2.1. Nobody cares if you get a first. Getting good A levels then a 2.1 gives you more career options than bad A levels and a first.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by justag
Do both by all means, but prioritise work experience over trying to get a first. Sure you may feel satisfied within yourself, but all you need in life is a 2.1. Nobody cares if you get a first. Getting good A levels then a 2.1 gives you more career options than bad A levels and a first.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Or you could get experience and a first. You know, stand out from the crowd of people who have 2:1 and experience...

Posted from TSR Mobile
People say there's no point - and I was one of them who didn't do a lot of outside-lecture work.

I really regret that now going into my third year.

My best advice would be to look through your lecture notes and try to consolidate your whole lecture onto one side of A4 - that way you can look at a glance the information the lecture gave to keep it in your memory, and then you can use notes made in lecture and lecture slides to give a much better understanding.

I never did a lot of reading and I partly don't regret that (I hate reading), but if there's a concept you struggle with it's best to do some relevant reading for it, even if it's just a little.

But the most important thing is to not go overboard - you won't need to study every last bit of material for hours so don't bother. Get a vague knowledge, study a bit more the parts you are unsure of, and start your revision early (and keep revision in mind when in term time - there's no point making notes in lectures that are useless when it comes to revision time, so make them clear and relevant!).

Also - you don't need to worry about work experience too much during term time unless you really need the money. There's no point slacking on your studying just to get the experience of serving customers in Aldi - save it for the summer holidays.
Reply 15
Original post by Moonstruck16
Or you could get experience and a first. You know, stand out from the crowd of people who have 2:1 and experience...

Posted from TSR Mobile

You're simply ignoring a crucial part of my post. Nobody cares if you get a first. Aim for it if you like, but achieving it will only be for your own self satisfaction. That's perfectly fine. But careerwise nobody is going to give you a job because of getting a first.

Posted from TSR Mobile
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 16
Original post by GuppyFox
People say there's no point - and I was one of them who didn't do a lot of outside-lecture work.

I really regret that now going into my third year.

My best advice would be to look through your lecture notes and try to consolidate your whole lecture onto one side of A4 - that way you can look at a glance the information the lecture gave to keep it in your memory, and then you can use notes made in lecture and lecture slides to give a much better understanding.

I never did a lot of reading and I partly don't regret that (I hate reading), but if there's a concept you struggle with it's best to do some relevant reading for it, even if it's just a little.

But the most important thing is to not go overboard - you won't need to study every last bit of material for hours so don't bother. Get a vague knowledge, study a bit more the parts you are unsure of, and start your revision early (and keep revision in mind when in term time - there's no point making notes in lectures that are useless when it comes to revision time, so make them clear and relevant!).

Also - you don't need to worry about work experience too much during term time unless you really need the money. There's no point slacking on your studying just to get the experience of serving customers in Aldi - save it for the summer holidays.

Relevant work experience for the career you want, or are considering. You'll be thankful once you've graduated, most people here appear to be still at uni so unaware of the real world.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by justag
Relevant work experience for the career you want, or are considering. You'll be thankful once you've graduated, most people here appear to be still at uni so unaware of the real world.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yeah that would be more helpful actually - should've mentioned that too!
Original post by justag
You're simply ignoring a crucial part of my post. Nobody cares if you get a first. Aim for it if you like, but achieving it will only be for your own self satisfaction. That's perfectly fine. But careerwise nobody is going to give you a job because of getting a first.

Posted from TSR Mobile

No, it won't be the most important thing, but if you are part of a flock who all have the same experience, same standard A*AA A-levels, etc and are so dull that nothing else makes you stand out, that first may at least make employers take a second look instead of looking straight over you.

This being said OP, it's your first year. You don't NEED a first and it probably won't count for much. However, don't slack off otherwise you'll be stuck in a hard to break routine for the rest of your university career when it will actually count. Make the most of the free time you'll have and don't waste it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Do you go over the notes and consolidate the information, read and extra read? What's the best way to get a first in your first year?

Yes. You need to do all that stuff.

Always read up on the subject of the next lecture BEFOREHAND. That way, if you have any questions, you can ask them in the lecture.

Also start all your coursework as soon as it is set and aim to finish it a week in advance, and start your revision as early as you can.

Quick Reply

Latest