The Student Room Group

University Of Liverpool Medicine Applicants 2016

Hi guys. This is a post for everyone who is considering applying to the University of Liverpool for medicine, 2016 entry.

You can find further information about the course, admission tests, academic and non academic criteria here https://www.liv.ac.uk/medicine/undergraduate/admissions/

Feel free to ask and discuss anything regarding the procedure, the university, the interview, the course etc.

Good luck everyone :smile:

Scroll to see replies

anyone have any clues on how they will use ukcat?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by hi-zen-berg
anyone have any clues on how they will use ukcat?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Unlikely to be a cut off. First year of using it.
do you need 3A's and a B at AS? and opinion on a score of 660 on UKCAT with band 1 in SJ
Original post by OllyRoberts
do you need 3A's and a B at AS? and opinion on a score of 660 on UKCAT with band 1 in SJ

No AS requirements as far as I know. Well done, Liverpool said to apply with a competitive score, and I think anything over 650 puts you in a good position ngl
Reply 5
I have got 6A* and 6A in GCSE's
5A's in AS level
UKCAT : 730, SJT Band2
Am I okay to consider Liverpool???
Original post by nomita
5A's in AS level

You have solid stats, I don't think you'd be applying to your strengths if you went for Liverpool. Go for somewhere more UKCAT heavy!
Think they'll rank by UKCAT?

'Applicants who meet or exceed our basic minimum academic criteria will not necessarily proceed to the second stage of the admissions process. Non-graduates applying to the A100 programme will need to sit UKCAT. It is expected that applicants who achieve Band 4 in the Situational Judgement Test of the UKCAT will not have their applications processed beyond the 1st stage and of the remainder only those applicants who meet/exceed our minimum academic criteria and who offer the most competitive overall UKCAT scores will have their applications proceed to the second stage. As Liverpool School of Medicine is using the UKCAT test for the first time in the 2015-16 admissions cycle we are unable to predict what is likely to constitute a competitive UKCAT score.'

http://www.liv.ac.uk/media/livacuk/schoolofmedicine/Liverpool,Departmental,Supplemental,Information,2015-16.pdf
(found above link on this - http://www.liv.ac.uk/medicine/undergraduate/admissions/ - page)
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by dulce_ecstasy
Think they'll rank by UKCAT?

'Applicants who meet or exceed our basic minimum academic criteria will not necessarily proceed to the second stage of the admissions process. Non-graduates applying to the A100 programme will need to sit UKCAT. It is expected that applicants who achieve Band 4 in the Situational Judgement Test of the UKCAT will not have their applications processed beyond the 1st stage and of the remainder only those applicants who meet/exceed our minimum academic criteria and who offer the most competitive overall UKCAT scores will have their applications proceed to the second stage. As Liverpool School of Medicine is using the UKCAT test for the first time in the 2015-16 admissions cycle we are unable to predict what is likely to constitute a competitive UKCAT score.'

http://www.liv.ac.uk/media/livacuk/schoolofmedicine/Liverpool,Departmental,Supplemental,Information,2015-16.pdf
(found above link on this - http://www.liv.ac.uk/medicine/undergraduate/admissions/ - page)

😭😭😭 so it looks like Liverpool is going to have a cut off
Reply 9
Original post by nomita
5A's in AS level

I think academically you're a strong candidate. Good luck.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I'm applying to Liverpool :smile:
I want to apply to Liverpool - good GCSEs (8*, 1A) and four As at AS ....UKCAT at 660 band 1. Am I right in thinking that only stand a chance in most unis including liverpool if that it in the 8th centile (which it was last year???). Also thinking York hull, glasgow (but hear its UKCAT is high), Aberdeen as consider AS and Sheffield. Is manchester out?? Manchester said at the open day expect min 6 months caring experience, sustained over a period....
Reply 12
Anyone know whether it's PBL or intergrated?
630 UKCAT average
Three A*s Three As and Two Bs
All A predictions for A2

For Liverpool I just make the 15 point score requirement for gcses with an extra btec but is it worth it applying ?
Any advice on which medical school would suit my results?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Original post by J.K
Anyone know whether it's PBL or intergrated?

integrated since 2014
Reply 15
Original post by searchingsazza
I want to apply to Liverpool - good GCSEs (8*, 1A) and four As at AS ....UKCAT at 660 band 1. Am I right in thinking that only stand a chance in most unis including liverpool if that it in the 8th centile (which it was last year???). Also thinking York hull, glasgow (but hear its UKCAT is high), Aberdeen as consider AS and Sheffield. Is manchester out?? Manchester said at the open day expect min 6 months caring experience, sustained over a period....

If im not mistaken Manchester requires a high ukcat. Liverpool is unlikely to have a cut off point since it's the first year they are using it. Remember though almost everyone applying will have excellent grades. Non-academis/personal statement will make the difference. Good luck!
Reply 16
Original post by charnot1997
630 UKCAT average
Three A*s Three As and Two Bs
All A predictions for A2

For Liverpool I just make the 15 point score requirement for gcses with an extra btec but is it worth it applying ?
Any advice on which medical school would suit my results?

Posted from TSR Mobile

15/18 is quite low as most of the people at least in my year got interviews with either 17 or 18/18. Maybe try med school that are not so gcse heavy, pretty sure thestudentroom has a page on what each med school needs!
Finally :tongue: A Liverpool thread!! I'm applying for 2016 entry to Liverpool - do you think stats of 6A* 4A at GCSE 4A at AS predicted AAA at A2, and UKCAT score of 705 are competitive (seeing as we don't really know how they'll use the UKCAT!)
thanks!:biggrin:
Hey everyone!

I would get full points for the academic score and my A2 predictions are A*AA. But I only got 610 in every section of UKCAT and band 2 SJ. Do you guys think this is too low for Liverpool??
Original post by Mimikhalil
Hey everyone!

I would get full points for the academic score and my A2 predictions are A*AA. But I only got 610 in every section of UKCAT and band 2 SJ. Do you guys think this is too low for Liverpool??

Omg your ukcat average is identical to mine (each subsection varied though) Our grades are also probably identical because I meet the full academics too.
I'm not applying though I really wanted to because their website talks about 'applying with competitive scores' and I feel like my 610 is measly😒

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending