The Student Room Group

I failed my 4th year OSCE. Can I ever pass it if I don't know what went wrong?

Hello,

I failed my fourth year OSCE. I failed it because I failed six stations, and the limit is four. Of the stations that I failed, half were almost on the borderline of the passing score (less than 1 to 2 marks below the passing score).

I do not have any extenuating circumstances. I did not expect to fail. I thought that I prepared well and I even felt ready for the exam. I came out of the exam feeling like I passed. Ha!

I looked at my feedback from the examiners, and of the comments I could read, they seemed specific to the station e.g. "Did not ask about xyz". In the stations that I did pass, the comments I received read like I was a great student or something. Someone good enough to pass.

I just don't know what went wrong. I've been thinking about it over and over. I really don't know. Maybe I didn't practice enough, so I've started to practice for the next fourth year OSCE now, 12 months in advance. That's all I can think of.

I have never failed any exams before. I passed my written exam of fourth year (74%). I did rather well in my previous OSCEs (although of course, they are easier by definition).

Could anyone kindly offer me some advice? Can I ever pass this OSCE if I can't think of what went wrong for me?
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by Boochie
Hello,

I failed my fourth year OSCE. I failed it because I failed six stations, and the limit is four. Of the stations that I failed, half were almost on the borderline of the passing score (less than 1 to 2 marks below the passing score).

I do not have any extenuating circumstances. I did not expect to fail. I thought that I prepared well and I even felt ready for the exam. I came out of the exam feeling like I passed. Ha!

I looked at my feedback from the examiners, and of the comments I could read, they seemed specific to the station e.g. "Did not ask about xyz". In the stations that I did pass, the comments I received read like I was a great student or something. Someone good enough to pass.

I just don't know what went wrong. I've been thinking about it over and over. I really don't know. Maybe I didn't practice enough, so I've started to practice for the next fourth year OSCE now, 12 months in advance. That's all I can think of.

I have never failed any exams before. I passed my written exam of fourth year (74%). I did rather well in my previous OSCEs (although of course, they are easier by definition).

Could anyone kindly offer me some advice? Can I ever pass this OSCE if I can't think of what went wrong for me?

You need to work on the stations that you failed. I found that I was almost consistently failing multiple communication skills stations in my earlier years so I worked really hard on that and have gotten much better patient global scores since!
Reply 2
Original post by LetoKynes
You need to work on the stations that you failed. I found that I was almost consistently failing multiple communication skills stations in my earlier years so I worked really hard on that and have gotten much better patient global scores since!

Hi,

Thank you for replying. That is some good advice. How did you work on communication skills, for example?
Reply 3
Original post by Boochie
Hello,

Sorry this has happened, must have been a big shock for you.

You have to understand how marking schemes for OSCEs work. They are designed to be objective, rather than based on an overall impression (there may be a few marks available for that, but it's a very small fraction). The examiners have tick boxes for each action you are expected to do/thing you are supposed to say, and if you don't tick the box, no matter how well you come across overall, you will not get the marks, and clearly you were missing out quite a few things or you would have got enough to pass. There may also be one or two "sudden death" boxes which will automatically fail you if you don't do them in a particular station e.g. asking about possible pregnancy in a young woman with abdominal pain. A lot of it is about playing the game and being seen to do things (a bit like checking mirrors in your driving test).

I don't think it's necessary to start practising now, because what you do now is not really likely to have any bearing on what you can do this time next year. I do think you might need to be a bit more focused when you do practise though. Get a friend, or one of the doctors on the firm you're attached to, to watch you examine/take a history and give you honest feedback. Pay attention to it and reflect on it, to see if you can improve next time.

Don't let this get you down; it must suck at the moment but one failed exam does not mean you can't do this, or that you won't be a good doctor. Good luck!
Reply 4
Original post by Helenia

You have to understand how marking schemes for OSCEs work. They are designed to be objective, rather than based on an overall impression (there may be a few marks available for that, but it's a very small fraction). The examiners have tick boxes for each action you are expected to do/thing you are supposed to say, and if you don't tick the box, no matter how well you come across overall, you will not get the marks, and clearly you were missing out quite a few things or you would have got enough to pass. There may also be one or two "sudden death" boxes which will automatically fail you if you don't do them in a particular station e.g. asking about possible pregnancy in a young woman with abdominal pain. A lot of it is about playing the game and being seen to do things (a bit like checking mirrors in your driving test).

I don't think it's necessary to start practising now, because what you do now is not really likely to have any bearing on what you can do this time next year. I do think you might need to be a bit more focused when you do practise though. Get a friend, or one of the doctors on the firm you're attached to, to watch you examine/take a history and give you honest feedback. Pay attention to it and reflect on it, to see if you can improve next time.

Don't let this get you down; it must suck at the moment but one failed exam does not mean you can't do this, or that you won't be a good doctor. Good luck!

Thank you for your reply, Helenia.

It was a shock, I have never felt so let down by myself. The problem with my OSCE is that they have gotten rid of the tick box checklist. The mark scheme consists on the examiner's overall impression in a number of specific areas for example "communication", "clinical knowledge" etc.

I definitely think I did things that would have ticked the 'sudden death' box, I can clearly remember something vital that I forgot to ask in one of the stations. So that must have really changed their opinion of me immediately.

Sadly, I did practice a lot beforehand with two of my friends. I got good feedback from them and felt that I was on the same level as them. But perhaps they were too apprehensive to genuinely critique me. It is difficult to find a doctor who has enough time to observe me, I think I would find this incredibly helpful. Do you have any ideas on a way to go about this? Perhaps I should simply just ask them? They always seem so busy doing things.

I figured that I just did not come across very well. Perhaps not confident, or not knowledgeable enough. Do you have any advice on how to improve in these areas?

One last question, if you don't mind - When is it worth me beginning to prepare for the OSCE? I really hope to pass this time around.
Original post by Boochie
Hi,

Thank you for replying. That is some good advice. How did you work on communication skills, for example?

I found these two pretty good as guidance:-
http://www.amazon.co.uk/Medical-Students-Masterpass-Undergraduate-MasterPass/dp/1846191238

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Unofficial-Guide-Passing-Guides-Medicine/dp/0957149905/ref=sr_1_sc_2?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1440935189&sr=1-2-spell&keywords=unnofficial+guide+osces

I preferred the latter but the first is good to have as an additional resource. In terms of working on communication skills I guess what I did was to make sure I practised those as well as the usual examination skills instead of expecting to be good at it just by knowing my stuff. I found that knowing something and getting things across in a way the patient can understand are two completely different things, and with practice I managed to settle in to my own way of explaining things to a patient :smile:
Original post by Helenia

do you feel there is an element of luck nonetheless in OSCES?

Latest

Trending

Trending