The Student Room Group

Would you date someone with a mental illness?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by TurgidMeniscus
I like that despite working in the mental health field, you still use the word "crazy" when referring to mental illness. Professionalism is bae.

Yeah. I'm sceptical. If she really does work in mental health then she's really not good at her job and should be fired immediately.
Original post by SmallTownGirl
Yeah. I'm sceptical. If she really does work in mental health then she's really not good at her job and should be fired immediately.

Yes because how good at my job I am is down to language I use on an anonymous Internet forum where I am making a tongue in cheek comment.

Ps. If you want to fire me you should probably fire about 90% of the people working in mental health as I can guarantee they have all used the word crazy to describe someone in their personal life. Oh dear.
Original post by ExRN
Are you in some way suggesting that people with mental illness don't have interesting conversation?
;-)

You're a little too late with that question of yours that you wouldn't need to ask had you read the comments that followed. :smile:
Depends what mental illness.
Original post by TurgidMeniscus
Lmao, let me explain why that is BS.

People with mental illnesses are just as functional as you, and referring to them as "not normal" is prejudiced. While mental illness can affect the way somebody reacts emotionally and behaves, that does not make them any less normal than you. I have depression and anxiety, and managed to get straight A*/As for my GCSE exams. I'm a person with hobbies, interests and passions. Not an object destined to swallow pills until UKIP emerge as world leaders.

Now that i looked at a list of mental illnesses...I agree and I think I was thinking of mentally disabled/ retarded tbh...my bad.

"that does not make them any less normal than you."
Normal= deals with situations appropriately and intelligently (in my opinion)
Of course no ones completely normal
But obviously someone with a mental illness has a disadvantage and they don't react "normally" to certain situations.
I had a partner who has mental illness. I’d been with her for around a year before it started to come out due to various reasons. I decided to stick by her side through everything but unfortunately it didn’t work out due to her illness and constant taking out of her problems on me.

I wouldn’t go back into a relationship like that if I knew they had a mental illness but if we were already together and I had a strong connection then I would stick with them to help them.
Reply 166
bruh, I have ocd; who am I to judge? (it's treated but still :wink:) as long as we are not harmful to each other and can work around our issues, i don't see why not :smile:
I fully expect that all those who have simply said 'no' within this thread without offering any reasonable justification for said response will not object in the slightest to being automatically precluded from the world of dating/romantic relationships should they ever succumb to any and all manner of mental illness themselves.

(Which is entirely plausible, seeing as we are all in possession of a brain, and are all, therefore, subject to mental health.)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending