The Student Room Group

Would you date someone with a mental illness?

Any dice?

Scroll to see replies

Depends what kind of mental illness, how it manifested itself and how long I had been with them (if any time at all) before symptoms were displayed.
It depends on the illness but probably.
Unpopular opinion coming through but it'd probably be problematic to date someone with a mental illness/disorder because
1. it's too much baggage to begin with. If I were already with the person, and a mental illness is detected, I'll stand by my partner.
2. I'm sapiosexual, and unless there's like-mindedness or interesting conversation I couldn't feel connected enough to date the person. That point also stands for someone that doesn't suffer from a mental illness though.
Original post by TurgidMeniscus
Any dice?

I have had close family members and friends with conditions such as ADHD, dissociative identity disorder, and bipolar disorder. I think it depends on how aware the person is of the illness, and is willing to treat it or not get in the way with their personality. I, myself, have depression and anxiety, but I go to counselling and take meds and have really been becoming myself again. I hope telling someone about my condition wouldn't make them like me less.
Reply 5
No i would not.
realistically no.
Reply 7
Original post by AristoBrat!
Unpopular opinion coming through but it'd probably be problematic to date someone with a mental illness/disorder because
1. it's too much baggage to begin with. If I were already with the person, and a mental illness is detected, I'll stand by my partner.
2. I'm sapiosexual, and unless there's like-mindedness or interesting conversation I couldn't feel connected enough to date the person. That point also stands for someone that doesn't suffer from a mental illness though.

Original post by kandykissesxox
realistically no.

What would you say about someone like myself who's got anxiety mostly under control with meds?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by RobML
What would you say about someone like myself who's got anxiety mostly under control with meds?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Anxiety isn't an issue.
I wouldn't date someone with a serious metal illness (sorry should have made that clear)
Reply 9
Im a bloody nutter but my wife loves me so im okay haha
Reply 10
Some people are really quick to judge! I believe that it would not put me off of dating someone, it just may affect whether we are likely to be together long-term... for example, if someone has huge manic phases which lead them to doing something dangerous, I don't know if I could cope with that.
Personally, I told my bf about my condition (anorexia) before we started dating because I thought it would be a turn off. It hugely impacted the first six months of our relationship, but he was massively supportive and helped me to recover :smile:

Plenty of people with severe mental health problems are interesting and funny and have hobbies and opinions. We're not stupid.

To answer your question OP, it would never be a blanket 'no' but it would depend on how their condition(s) impacted my own mental health. I have pretty intense and difficult friendships and I would need someone who could cope with my own complicated issues and emotional responses.

However, I find that the people who say they would (who haven't had mental health problems themselves or long-term experience of a close friend or family member having them) tend to be lying. Even if they don't realise it. People either see 'I have mental health problems' as 'I get a bit sad sometimes and I like things to be tidy' or 'I'm going to chop you up in your sleep with an axe'. Neither of these statements apply the vast majority of people diagnosed with mental illness. Also, people (mostly men) seem to think they can 'fix' you and when you don't get better through their efforts they decide you're choosing to be ill and make you feel like **** before saying they don't want to talk to you anymore.
Original post by RobML

Posted from TSR Mobile

someone who's got anxiety mostly under control with meds - YES.
You - not really. :erm:

Original post by Foo.mp3
Plenty of those with personality disorders (may or may not be conceived of as being 'mental disorders':wink: are highly intelligent individuals, in my experience :holmes:
If you had read my entire sentence instead of a phrase therein, there would be no need to point that out.
I'm sapiosexual, and unless there's like-mindedness or interesting conversation I couldn't feel connected enough to date the person. That point also stands for someone that doesn't suffer from a mental illness though.
:smile:

Original post by SmallTownGirl
x
You don't have to tell me. I suffer from ADHD.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 13
someone who's got anxiety mostly under control with meds - YES.
You - not really. :erm:

Touche :wink:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14
Yes its not a big deal.
Being an on-off sufferer of anxiety and low mood myself (and currently waiting to see GP about other issues), I guess it would depend on the person.

I wouldn't want them to bring me down or have any sort of negative impact on my own mental well-being. That said, I think there is something for the ability to support each other (although not to the point of mutual codependency). Even if I didn't suffer with head-stuff, I'd like to think I wouldn't have any further issues, as in my experience mental health sufferers can be some of the most non-judgemental people out there.
Yes it isnt a big deal :smile:
You don't have to tell me. I suffer from ADHD.

Well then surely you'd realise that that isn't relevant to the question. The question was not asking if you would date someone who is mentally ill if you weren't attracted to them otherwise. The question was asking if you were attracted to someone would them having a mental health problem be a deal-breaker. I don't see anyone else saying 'yes, but only if they were a women, I'm only attracted to women' or 'yes, but they'd need to be religious, my beliefs are important to me'. The specifics of your attraction are not necessary but you have said 'no' justified with the implication that someone with mental health problems couldn't have 'interesting conversations'.
I have quite serious depression and anxiety yet my wonderful wonderful boyfriend sticks by me (even though I sometimes can't even stick by him :frown: ).
Original post by SmallTownGirl
The question was not asking if you would date someone who is mentally ill if you weren't attracted to them otherwise. The question was asking if you were attracted to someone would them having a mental health problem be a deal-breaker.

The question was only 'Would you date someone with a mental illness?'
The OP says 'any dice'.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending