The Student Room Group
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website

Lancaster University - Question and Answers

Scroll to see replies

Original post by UmarP
Hi, I've heard a lot about appointments for registering in LICA, but I haven't heard anything about it. Where do I find out when mine is or how do I schedule one?
Also, I'm in Bowland College accommodation, so I should arrive on the the 27th. Where shall I go on campus, who shall I meet, and what time should I be there?
Thanks

Registration takes place in welcome week organised by college and surname. More info can be found on the welcome website

You should receive information from your college about arrival weekend but please feel free to contact the college office on [email protected] or +44 (0)1524 594 506.

Jamie Carbert | Lancaster University

E: [email protected]
Student in the Laboratory, Lancaster University
Lancaster University
Lancaster
Visit website
Original post by Hopefulbunny
Fees: let the pen pushers do their thing.

Minors: I made a phone call due to the inadequate information available and was told to wait until the presentation in freshers week. I asked to be pointed at information about courses which must be written somewhere. I was stonewalled.
You and a couple of thousand others will scream that such a situation is ludicrous, but that's the way they do it. Both of us will have to make a choice of minor without having had time to undertake due diligence. A major decision of Minor subject will be based on a brief and almost certainly incomplete resume of what we are letting ourselves in for. Presentations are a great idea but, like you, I'd like to take time to research the matter. There has to be a better way.

Original post by damian123m
Looking at my account on student portal, I think I am left with "Annotated Bibliography" and "Moodle Workshops" which really aren't the minors I would even consider taking. Its either too early for my account to work properly (not registered) or it is simply a joke. I honestly believe that the lack of information is putting an unnecessary stress on will-be students just before the start of their courses which will clearly reflect on their overall satisfaction.
123.png

Original post by Hayley Williams
Those aren't your minors, I have enrolled on my minor and those titles are still there on my account

Posted from TSR Mobile

Original post by damian123m
Ok, in that case could you please give me a hint on how can I enrol on my minors as I've been unable to find a button or any other thing on the page that would allow me to do that.

During welcome week there will be the opportunity to attend introductory lectures from all departments which offer subjects as a minor. These will give an overview of their Part I course and also the opportunity to talk to teaching staff and course administrators. However, that isn't to say you can't start researching courses beforehand. You will be studying alongside people doing that course as a major so the same information is relevant. Therefore, you may want to research courses by looking in the prospectus and also looking on the online modules listing

If you really aren't enjoying your minor there may be the opportunity to switch within the first week or two, but this is something you should do quickly as you will be learning material that you could be examined on from the start. If you have any more questions on minors please ask, but in terms of choosing your minors you don't need to make any decisions until welcome week

(edited 8 years ago)
Hi, I was wondering if it's possible for physics applicants to receive unconditional offers at Lancaster? I understand physics isn't part of the unconditional scheme so does this rule out the chances of getting one completely?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Dannyhoward01
Hi, I was wondering if it's possible for physics applicants to receive unconditional offers at Lancaster? I understand physics isn't part of the unconditional scheme so does this rule out the chances of getting one completely?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Hi Danny

Physics is actually taking part in the unconditional offer scheme but will only be making unconditional offers to a very small number of applicants. Therefore, you do have a chance of being made an unconditional offer but please be aware there won't be that many physics applicants being made an unconditional offer.

As I'm sure you already know, you apply in exactly the same way and if you are eligible for an unconditional offer, the department will let you know

Hope that helps
Hi, I got an offer for biomedical sciences last week and I was just wondering, on average, what is the timeframe for offers to be changed to unconditional offers? I know it's unlikely but I'm just curious.

Many Thanks
Reply 85
Hi,

I have been invited to an interview that could upgrade my conditional offer to an unconditional offer for Law, which I am ecstatic about! The prospect of receiving a scholarship under the unconditional scheme for A*A*A is amazing, but I was wondering if:

A) An A* General Studies can count
B) An A* in EPQ can count

Thank you very much!
Original post by equinox123
Hi, I got an offer for biomedical sciences last week and I was just wondering, on average, what is the timeframe for offers to be changed to unconditional offers? I know it's unlikely but I'm just curious.

Many Thanks

Hi, congratulations on being made an offer. We would make unconditional offers at the same time we make conditional offers so yours won't be converted I'm afraid. Best of luck in achieving the grades we based our offer on!

Original post by Aquaxo
Hi,

I have been invited to an interview that could upgrade my conditional offer to an unconditional offer for Law, which I am ecstatic about! The prospect of receiving a scholarship under the unconditional scheme for A*A*A is amazing, but I was wondering if:

A) An A* General Studies can count
B) An A* in EPQ can count

Thank you very much!

Hi, I'm afraid that the EPQ doesn't count towards our scholarships but we would accept General Studies if it was taken as a fourth subject (so if you are doing general studies alongside three other A Levels)

Hope that helps

Hi,
I was just wondering if I achieve my UCAS grades of two Distinction*s and an A (I study two BTEC subsidiary diplomas and an A Level) I will be eligible for the student scholarship? Or is this just for A Level students with A*A*A?

Also, when do we choose our college/apply for accommodation? I've received an offer but was wondering if this would be as soon as I accept it as my firm choice or after I get my results?
Original post by Freyjaeve
Hi,
I was just wondering if I achieve my UCAS grades of two Distinction*s and an A (I study two BTEC subsidiary diplomas and an A Level) I will be eligible for the student scholarship? Or is this just for A Level students with A*A*A?

Also, when do we choose our college/apply for accommodation? I've received an offer but was wondering if this would be as soon as I accept it as my firm choice or after I get my results?

Apologies it has taken a few days to get back to you. For our Scholarships we are happy to accept both A Levels and equivalents such as BTEC's.

The conversion of A Levels to BTEC's is as follows:
A* - Distinction*
A - Distinction

Hope that helps
Hi, I have recently received an offer for Nuclear Engineering and am really excited about the course, however I can't seem to find the contact hours for this course and was wondering if you had more information.
I was also wondering what type of people go into each college and whether it is based on personality or is just random.
Original post by anon1700
Hi, I have recently received an offer for Nuclear Engineering and am really excited about the course, however I can't seem to find the contact hours for this course and was wondering if you had more information.
I was also wondering what type of people go into each college and whether it is based on personality or is just random.

Congratulations on being made an offer. The engineering department have told me that depending on the modules you take, you could expect around 15 contact hours a week split between lectures, tutorials, practical sessions, workshops and maths support (if required).

The colleges are separate from the academic departments and exist to provide welfare for students and to organise social events and activities throughout the year. Each college has a distinct character, so I would advise on reading about each college and also consider what accommodation each college has available.

Original post by Lancaster University
Congratulations on being made an offer. The engineering department have told me that depending on the modules you take, you could expect around 15 contact hours a week split between lectures, tutorials, practical sessions, workshops and maths support (if required).

The colleges are separate from the academic departments and exist to provide welfare for students and to organise social events and activities throughout the year. Each college has a distinct character, so I would advise on reading about each college and also consider what accommodation each college has available.

Thank you that is really helpful.
Reply 93
I was delighted to receive an conditional offer for Maths (G100) a few days ago. I have also applied for the Mathematics with a year abroad (G103) but am yet to receive a response. However, when I click into the visit us section of the iLancaster app, the applicant visit day dates for both courses are displayed..What does this mean?
Congratulations on being made an offer! For enquiries regarding applications I would advise you contact the Undergraduate Admissions team.

They can be contacted by email at [email protected] or on 01524 592028

hello, I recently got an offer on Film studies and was wondering, after finishing this course will I be able to start a career as a film producer? :smile:
Original post by GabijaLin
hello, I recently got an offer on Film studies and was wondering, after finishing this course will I be able to start a career as a film producer? :smile:

Congratulations on receiving an offer! If you haven't already you will shortly be invited to an Applicant Visit Day, where you will have the opportunity to visit the campus and the department. This would be a good opportunity to ask questions such about careers progression.

Alternatively, you can contact [email protected]

Hi, I'm going to firm Lancaster, and have started to look at accommodation: what's the real difference between a townhouse and a flat like with the superior en-suite?
Are they both in the same parts of the colleges?
Is there any opinion as to which is more sociable or nicer to live in?
Thanks
Hi, do you have a date for arrivals day yet for 2016/17 entry? The date on my UCAS is 1st October but I saw the term start date is 3rd October. I wanted to book flights ASAP so wanted to know what day I should arrive?
Original post by amber_elise
Hi, I'm going to firm Lancaster, and have started to look at accommodation: what's the real difference between a townhouse and a flat like with the superior en-suite?
Are they both in the same parts of the colleges?
Is there any opinion as to which is more sociable or nicer to live in?
Thanks

There are a few differences between Townhouses and Superior Ensuite flats. In a Townhouse you will share a bathroom with one other person and you have a living room area in addition to the kitchen. Townhouses are slightly cheaper per week that the Superior Ensuite but the length of the let is 43 weeks, which is slightly longer than that for Superior Ensuite.

Townhouses are only available in County and Grizedale College, whereas Superior Ensuite are available in all colleges. In addition, Cartmel, County and Lonsdale offer catered Superior Ensuite.

All of our accommodation is very socialable and maintained to a very high standard, so I'm sure you will enjoy either!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending