The Student Room Group

How to convince my mom that lifting weights won't make me bulky?

I've been using weight machines for about two months now, and of course, I've gained muscle. This for me is a great thing - I love knowing that I'm getting stronger. Anyway, my mom keeps telling me that I should stick to the same amount of weight and increase the reps so that I don't get "bulky". However, I don't see the problem with women gaining muscle? I'm not injuring myself (I'm very sensible about how much weight I use and am careful not to strain any joints or pull any muscles) and it's not like I'm bodybuilding or anything. I'm like 90% sure women can't get the physique of a man without steroid usage due to lack of testosterone?

What can I say to show my mom that lifting weights isn't a bad thing? That I won't look masculine - just healthy?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Scroll to see replies

Original post by April Barlow
What can I say to show my mom that lifting weights isn't a bad thing? That I won't look masculine - just healthy?

Basically what you just said about women having very low levels of testosterone.
It's that simple.
Why are you trying to convince your mum that lifting will not make you bulky, just ignore her comments (unless she's preventing you from training).
Original post by King Leonidas
Why are you trying to convince your mum that lifting will not make you bulky, just ignore her comments (unless she's preventing you from training).

Eh, guess I don't want her worrying about me is all

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by TheThiefOfBagdad
Basically what you just said about women having very low levels of testosterone.
It's that simple.

I've told her in the past, but she doesn't seem to be buying it. Thank you though :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Maybe show her some videos of women training with heavy weights to demonstrate how (stereotypically) feminine they still look.
Original post by TheThiefOfBagdad
Maybe show her some videos of women training with heavy weights to demonstrate how (stereotypically) feminine they still look.

Thank you! Didn't cross my mind to do that :smile:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Show her any weight class in Weightlifting that's not >75kg, and you will see a load of women who do very high intensity, high volume training with very feminine physiques.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Just agree with her and say you'll follow her advice, then make your gainz in secret.
I've been using weight machines for about two months now, and of course, I've gained muscle. This for me is a great thing - I love knowing that I'm getting stronger. Anyway, my mom keeps telling me that I should stick to the same amount of weight and increase the reps so that I don't get "bulky". However, I don't see the problem with women gaining muscle? I'm not injuring myself (I'm very sensible about how much weight I use and am careful not to strain any joints or pull any muscles) and it's not like I'm bodybuilding or anything. I'm like 90% sure women can't get the physique of a man without steroid usage due to lack of testosterone?

Posted from TSR Mobile

Lifting weights will increase your muscle mass, if you eat to support it. Although, certainly not anything close to a typical female bodybuilder without copious amounts of tropicana.

The real issue here is: why does your mum think that girls or women should not be strong or have visible muscle mass?

Thankfully, you are under no obligation to pay attention to her.
Original post by Hype en Ecosse
Show her any weight class in Weightlifting that's not >75kg, and you will see a load of women who do very high intensity, high volume training with very feminine physiques.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Thankyou!
Good call :3
Original post by SmashConcept
Just agree with her and say you'll follow her advice, then make your gainz in secret.
Original post by Smack
Lifting weights will increase your muscle mass, if you eat to support it. Although, certainly not anything close to a typical female bodybuilder without copious amounts of tropicana.

The real issue here is: why does your mum think that girls or women should not be strong or have visible muscle mass?

God knows. And thanks for the info
Original post by Smack

This

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14

Just tell her you arent carbin' up
MORE WOMEN IN THE WEIGHTS ROOM!

Keep going for them gains girl, mum's will worry, you won't look masculine or bulky unless you want to be.
When you're training you will notice your body changing and if you see something getting a little bit too defined switch up your routine.

Start some body weight strength training or yoga then show her all the amazing stuff you can do with your body, she'll be happy if you're happy and healthy!
Original post by CinnamonTan
MORE WOMEN IN THE WEIGHTS ROOM!

Keep going for them gains girl, mum's will worry, you won't look masculine or bulky unless you want to be.
When you're training you will notice your body changing and if you see something getting a little bit too defined switch up your routine.

Start some body weight strength training or yoga then show her all the amazing stuff you can do with your body, she'll be happy if you're happy and healthy!

Thank you so much - really encouraging response!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Smack

You save me typing time.
She is scared that you're going to turn into this

Posted from TSR Mobile

is youre mum skinny?

Quick Reply

Latest