The Student Room Group

Badger Cull Extended into Dorset

Scroll to see replies

Original post by CoolCavy
ik isn't it :colonhash:

Badgers are haram, enough said.
Update: the culls started today in Gloustershire, Somerset and now Dorset..

What glorious news indeed.

Posted from TSR Mobile
what is haram?

Honeybadgers are the only badgers I respect.
I respect all badgers and you still didn't answer my question...

Haram is an important concept.
According to what you ve posted they've already started culling them. In the places where this has happened have they noticed any changes?
Honestly I think it's quite dumb to kill off a large number of badgers in order to'test' whether it's beneficial for farmers or not. So if it doesn't work all the money spent and the badger lives lost would all be for nothing.
Isn't there a better way of going about this?

:badger:
Wow, so to try to prevent a strain (?) of TB, they're slowly wiping out badgers? I don't have very strong views on animal rights (which I think is kind of wrong seeing as just because we're human and more intellectually advanced, it doesn't mean we should in fact have the right to destroy the earth/animals). Although, I think it's really stupid to try to eradicate almost an entire animal species just to please farmers. I agree with the vaccination idea - maybe they should be trying that out? Killing an entire animal species in the UK doesn't sit right with me, idk :/ I don't think we have that right. The earth isn't just ours.
(edited 8 years ago)
Reply 26
Do people not understand that badgers can carry TB? They put thousands of farm animals and humans at risk yet people disagree with decreasing the numbers. If they are having such an impact then they obviously need culling before the problem becomes any worse.
Time to get the old LA85 A2 out again, off to Dorset.

I'm not serious ok XD
Reply 28
read the original OP :s-smilie: i say that they carry TB :colonhash:

My mistake I read the poll results and got a bit heated :biggrin:
Original post by alicia_x
Wow, so to try to prevent a strain (?) of TB, they're slowly wiping out badgers? I don't have very strong views on animal rights (which I think is kind of wrong seeing as just because we're human and more intellectually advanced, it doesn't mean we should in fact have the right to destroy the earth/animals). Although, I think it's really stupid to try to eradicate almost an entire animal species just to please farmers. I agree with the vaccination idea - maybe they should be trying that out? Killing an entire animal species in the UK doesn't sit right with me, idk :/ I don't think we have that right. The earth isn't just ours.

Look up.the definition of cull.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DiddyDec
Look up.the definition of cull.

Posted from TSR Mobile

definition of cull: reduce the population of (a wild animal) by selective slaughter

Your point?

Apparently they're looking at reducing the species by a big number. Whether it's almost the entire species or less, it doesn't make it any better. Why should they be killing any animals at all if it's not necessary?
(edited 8 years ago)
Unfortunately the government cannot stop badgers so they think that the only alternative is to kill them, but i believe that they should put them in a seperate area and stop animal cruelty
Original post by alicia_x
definition of cull: reduce the population of (a wild animal) by selective slaughter

Your point?

Apparently they're looking at reducing the species by a big number. Whether it's almost the entire species or less, it doesn't make it any better. Why should they be killing any animals at all if it's not necessary?

My point is that a cull is not eradication.

It is necessary to trial the cull.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by ikhan94
Unfortunately the government cannot stop badgers so they think that the only alternative is to kill them, but i believe that they should put them in a seperate area and stop animal cruelty

A separate area? A zoo?

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by DiddyDec
My point is that a cull is not eradication.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Yes, and I've addressed that. Eradication or not, I think my point still stands thanks.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending