The Student Room Group

Jump from GCSE - AS - A2 in terms of grades

Hi

So I was just wondering if anyone had any statistics on what % of 10A* GCSE students get AAAA (or 5A, perhaps more haha) at AS and then how they generally do at A2.
It seems that a fair few from my school achieved a respectable number of A* at GCSE (6+) but have not achieved grades nearly as good for AS. So I'm just curious really (if you have no statistics do you know anyone who has got 'poor' GCSEs then straight As, or great GCSEs but flopped their AS?)

And It'd be interesting to find out how the same people did at A2...
Original post by Patrick Gekko
Hi

So I was just wondering if anyone had any statistics on what % of 10A* GCSE students get AAAA (or 5A, perhaps more haha) at AS and then how they generally do at A2.
It seems that a fair few from my school achieved a respectable number of A* at GCSE (6+) but have not achieved grades nearly as good for AS. So I'm just curious really (if you have no statistics do you know anyone who has got 'poor' GCSEs then straight As, or great GCSEs but flopped their AS?)

I don't have any such statistics and I'd be pretty surprised if they were published anywhere but from personal experience in my school, most of the people who did extremely well at GCSE also did very well at AS and A2. I don't know of anybody who did extremely well at GCSE and flopped their A Levels although I do know a number of people of did well but not ridiculously well at GCSE and got amazing A Level results. Obviously this is all anecdotal evidence though.
Hi

Hi I don't have the stats but I can speak from personal experience that I know a few people who got 6+A*s at GCSE but couldn't get A's at AS.
I think it's maybe because people underestimate the work required for AS compared to GCSE.
Just remember everyone gets a clean slate at AS and generally the most working people get the top grades.
I think the jump from AS -- A2 isn't that big tbh and people who get A's usually target A*s.
Hi

So in my school, about 20 people got 5+A*s ( The rest include Bs and Cs too).

5 people got 4 A Grades at AS.

Girl with 9A*s 2 As got AABB.

So it is hard. Make sure you do subjects you'll do well in.
Reply 4
Hi

I don't have any statistics on this in particular, but I got bored over the summer and I did some statistics on the 2016 Cambridge stalkers page. From that I found that for that group of people the correlation coefficient between gcse and ums % (not AS, if I did AS it would be like AAAA for most people so would be useless) and it was only like 0.2012 - not very strong.

I mean, in this case it is most likely people aspire to Cambridge if they don't do spectacularly at GCSE, so worked harder at AS, but from my school I know of at least 3 people who did like really good at GCSE (talking 9/10A*s, blew me out of the water) who ended up with not very good AS Levels (comparatively, they are still really good but they aren't as good as their GCSEs). I would say that it is more of how much effort the individual puts in - I decided after GCSE that I would get my act together and my %s shot up - I got 1/16 exam with 100% UMS at GCSE, and 8/15 at AS level, but at the same time one of my friends did basically the opposite.

Quick Reply

Latest