The Student Room Group

Your typical 'which uni' thread..

AS in maths, FM, economics and physics. All grade A
Intend to continue all 4 to A2. Should be predicted at least A*A*AA , if not higher

GCSE results were 4A*,6A

Very worried about my poor GCSEs (for the better unis).

Interested in (I.e thinking of applying to)
Oxford, UCL, warwick, durham, bath, birmingham

For all bar Birmingham I'm just worried I will get rejected straight away after GCSEs. I know it's easy to say but I really did not work for them, not much I can do now though.
Original post by Patrick Gekko
AS in maths, FM, economics and physics. All grade A
Intend to continue all 4 to A2. Should be predicted at least A*A*AA , if not higher

GCSE results were 4A*,6A

Very worried about my poor GCSEs (for the better unis).

Interested in (I.e thinking of applying to)
Oxford, UCL, warwick, durham, bath, birmingham

For all bar Birmingham I'm just worried I will get rejected straight away after GCSEs. I know it's easy to say but I really did not work for them, not much I can do now though.

Well done on your AS levels and your GCSEs, which are actually pretty good and not poor at all. There are people who've got into these unis with worse GCSE grades than yours.

Concerning Oxford, here is a paragraph from the Merton College website for 2014-15:

http://www.merton.ox.ac.uk/admissions-feedback-economics-and-management

'The average number of A*s at GCSE level was 8.5. The comparable figure for desummoned candidates was 6.6.'

The averages for summoned and desummoned candidates (I think that means whether they were called for interview or not idk) are both above your GCSE grades. But these are only averages - people with grades below and above these averages will get interviews and places. Your GCSE grades are not far from the averages so I wouldn't be worried :smile:

With a good personal statement, you can make a competitive application to any of the universities you mentioned. Don't forget you do have five choices, you can afford to try for one or two of the more competitive courses :smile:
Oxford doesn't do economics, they do PPE instead (much more useful if you ask me) which is very different to the courses on offer by LSE (where the economics course is basically applied econometrics), for example.

If I was you I would consider what type of Economics course you want, if you want one that treats Economics as a more empirical science, choose LSE or Warwich. If you want a course that treats economics as something less empirical then choose Oxford or Durham.

I was kicking myself when I got my results for not applying to Oxford, I did pretty poorly at AS but my A2 grades were above what Oxford requires. I'd definitely apply there if I was you, even if you do get rejected it isn't the end of the world.
Reply 3
Those grades are good and so are your GCSE's. I believe Oxford put more weighting on the TSA as if you fail to meet the requirements there you definitely won't get an interview.

Also I believe your GCSEs are contextualised so if you've done much better than your cohort it would be taken into account

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by rolodopus
Oxford doesn't do economics, they do PPE instead (much more useful if you ask me) which is very different to the courses on offer by LSE (where the economics course is basically applied econometrics), for example.

If I was you I would consider what type of Economics course you want, if you want one that treats Economics as a more empirical science, choose LSE or Warwich. If you want a course that treats economics as something less empirical then choose Oxford or Durham.

I was kicking myself when I got my results for not applying to Oxford, I did pretty poorly at AS but my A2 grades were above what Oxford requires. I'd definitely apply there if I was you, even if you do get rejected it isn't the end of the world.

Oxford offer E&M which is effectively considered their economics course

Oxford require A*AA for E&M but A*A*B does not satisfy this condition

@OP you have a decent chance at Oxford if you interview well and do well in the TSA

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending