The Student Room Group

Easiest respected AS Level?

Trying to decide 4th AS.

Out of History, Classical Civillisation, Government and Politics, Economics which is the easiest to get really high UMS?

Like RE which is just memorising essays as the questions never change?

Scroll to see replies

Sociology is easy but isn't very respected, very easy to get an A
Forget an A it's easy to get full UMS

Um from those id say government and politics

Posted from TSR Mobile
Uh, English!

English literature is very easy and is in the traditional/Well respected bracket. Plus it's fun.
Economics
English is 50/50 talent and graft. If you have a way with words, enjoy reading and are good at writing essays, it's easy. If you're bad at any of those things, it's impossible.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Politics is easy if you're interested in it :smile:
Original post by TurtleberrySoup
English is 50/50 talent and graft. If you have a way with words, enjoy reading and are good at writing essays, it's easy. If you're bad at any of those things, it's impossible. I did economics and found it incredibly difficult to do well in, BC of the nature of the exam. I was on Edexcel, and ended up with a B.

Posted from TSR Mobile

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by PinkRhinos
Uh, English!

English literature is very easy and is in the traditional/Well respected bracket. Plus it's fun.

I disagree, it's not very easy for everyone! I'm already doing it, got 98% UMS :colondollar:
Reply 8
Further Maths
Original post by antigone-
Politics is easy if you're interested in it :smile:

Can you memorise essays ? Do questions change ?
Original post by Big Blue Machine
Can you memorise essays ? Do questions change ?

Yeah, the questions can be very similar and a lot of the knowledge you'll need is stuff you'll probably already know if you keep up with current political events. At A2 however, it does get more challenging since the topics aren't as easy.

History really isn't easy haha.. defo pick Pol if you want an easy one
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by antigone-
Yeah, the questions can be very similar and a lot of the knowledge you'll need is stuff you'll probably already know if you keep up with current political events. At A2 however, it does get more challenging since the topics aren't as easy.

History really isn't easy haha.. defo pick Pol if you want an easy one

I'm Hoping for Law at Cambridge, Durham, UCL or LSE.
Is pol okay? I'm doing E Lit, Bio and RS already.
Thanks! :smile:

Yeah, Politics is well respected and really relevant to Law! You have two facilitating subjects already but I know for a fact that LSE basically treat it as one. It's also a pretty fun subject too, it was my favourite AS subject! Best of luck choosing your AS subjects! :smile:
Reply 13

on a previous thread you said you where already doing philosophy and ethics
Original post by Yousf
on a previous thread you said you where already doing philosophy and ethics

Philosophy and ethics is a branch of RS. Like my certificate says RS but everyone calls it Philosophy&Ethics
(edited 8 years ago)
I disagree, it's not very easy for everyone! I'm already doing it, got 98% UMS :colondollar:

Congrats for that amazing score, but when I said it was easy I was talking in respect to the "traditional" subjects ( English, History, Sciences, Maths) out of which English is the easiest I would argue. To each their own though.
Original post by PinkRhinos
Congrats for that amazing score, but when I said it was easy I was talking in respect to the "traditional" subjects ( English, History, Sciences, Maths) out of which English is the easiest I would argue. To each their own though.

Perhaps. I find it harder than Biology though, and some scientists really struggled to get it in my class. They struggle with subjective concepts. I think it's a subject where the gifted thrive.
Trying to decide 4th AS.

Out of History, Classical Civillisation, Government and Politics, Economics which is the easiest to get really high UMS?

Like RE which is just memorising essays as the questions never change?

History and Classics have a lot of content and are far from easy. Economics I've been told is easier than History and English, but not extremely easy like Sociology or RS.

I suggest Sociology if you don't already do it, or Politics. Politics is so easy, but SO very boring. Good luck trying not to sleep in lessons, but you'll get an A no problem. :tongue: It's essentially a soft version of History with a lot less content, watered down to only include political history and political methods/theories.
Reply 18
Trying to decide 4th AS.

What have these got to do with respected AS levels?

Out of your selection, history is the easiest.
Original post by yellowcopter
History and Classics have a lot of content and are far from easy. Economics I've been told is easier than History and English, but not extremely easy like Sociology or RS.

I suggest Sociology if you don't already do it, or Politics. Politics is so easy, but SO very boring. Good luck trying not to sleep in lessons, but you'll get an A no problem. :tongue: It's essentially a soft version of History with a lot less content, watered down to only include political history and political methods/theories.

Thanks for your response. Would you say RE is generally more respected than sociology? I think it is by trinity college Cambridge and LSE.

Quick Reply

Latest