The Student Room Group

Gift for the new flatmates: ALCOHOL OR FOOD?

So, I'm going to be a fresher in September and I'll be moving in on the 8th. We're 6 in our flat but I know only 2 of my future flatmates. I know they arrive between the 11/12th. I'm guessing I'll be the first to arrive in our flat.
So! I was wondering if I should bring something to warm their arrival or an ipothetic "now-we're-all-here-so-let's-get-to-know-each-other" night.
I'm pro alcohol because it's the most common thing to bring to loosen the conversation, but what if some of them don't drink?
If I am to speak the truth, I'd rather cook them a cake. Specifically, a TIRAMISU, a dessert with no cooking and easy to make. It's made with coffee and what student isn't addicted to coffee? But then, again, what if they are allergic to some of the ingredients?

hellllllllllp
Original post by Gulips
So, I'm going to be a fresher in September and I'll be moving in on the 8th. We're 6 in our flat but I know only 2 of my future flatmates. I know they arrive between the 11/12th. I'm guessing I'll be the first to arrive in our flat.
So! I was wondering if I should bring something to warm their arrival or an ipothetic "now-we're-all-here-so-let's-get-to-know-each-other" night.
I'm pro alcohol because it's the most common thing to bring to loosen the conversation, but what if some of them don't drink?
If I am to speak the truth, I'd rather cook them a cake. Specifically, a TIRAMISU, a dessert with no cooking and easy to make. It's made with coffee and what student isn't addicted to coffee? But then, again, what if they are allergic to some of the ingredients?

hellllllllllp

Can't go wrong with tiramisu. You never know with alcohol, sadly there are people who don't drink. :biggrin:
I wouldn't bring something for people I don't even know yet, but that's just me. I'm sure they'll appreciate whatever you bring, but I would pick since not everyone drinks.
Original post by Gulips

hellllllllllp

Silly question. Bring beer. Always bring beer - and make sure its cold.
There is alcohol in tiramisu afaik.

Some booze won't do any harm, maybe keep a bottle of soft drink as well so non drinkers can join in. Anybody who has allergies learns to ask what is in a dish before they try it
No-one says, "oh I can't wait to get to uni so I can relax and get to know my new flatmates over some nice cold... tiramisu."
PIZZA
Reply 7
Alright guys, I'll stick with cold beer :colondollar:
Il leave the tiramisu to make for my birthday :u:
Reply 8
As someone who doesn't drink alcohol, and hates the taste/smell of coffee...be glad I'm not your flatmate!
Original post by Gulips

hellllllllllp

Honestly, the best thing to take is a mixture of food and drink. Take some bottles of water/coke or alcohol as you prefer, something easy and then cakes or sweets, something easy to grab. This is what I got advised to do when moving into my halls - just leave them out in the common room with a note saying your name, your room and tell them to come say hello etc!
I would go with the tiramisu, tbh. Nearly every fresher is going to be drowning in booze anyway, making damn good food will definitely make you popular, especially given how cheap or generally bad a lot of student diets are. Anyone can pick up tinnies for their flatmates, I would definitely go with the tiramisu.
Original post by cole-slaw
No-one says, "oh I can't wait to get to uni so I can relax and get to know my new flatmates over some nice cold... tiramisu."

They don't, but what they do say is "oh I can't wait to get to uni so I can relax and get to know my new flatmates over some nice cold tiramisu, whilst breaking the ice further with a casual game of uno."
I'd go for something more snacky like a tonne of biscuits or chocolate bars and then maybe a bottle of a nice beer/cider each for a toast
Alcohol is the answer to everything
Reply 14
Tiramisu and a dessert wine - you will be seen as the refined flatmate in existence.
How about a bottle of white wine, crisps and tirimasu? There's something for everyone then :smile: or get schlur (did I spell that right? ) with a spirit to mix in :smile:.so then no ones left out
Reply 16
Original post by Hevachan
How about a bottle of white wine, crisps and tirimasu? There's something for everyone then :smile: or get schlur (did I spell that right? ) with a spirit to mix in :smile:.so then no ones left out

Shloer.

Very good idea, though.
Reply 17
LOL why are you buying them stuff?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending