The Student Room Group

Loosing weight Pills

Hey does anyone know if they are any good!?

I need to lose a stone before the summer so that i look good on holliday! (I can't seem to give up food because i love it so much, so please dont suggest that!)

I have only heard about them, i dont know where to get them, anyone know?

Most importantly, anyone know how well they work (how fast is the weight loss)??

But more importantly, are there any health risks using them?

Scroll to see replies

Don't use them.
If you really do want to lose weight then you'll find the willpower to cut down on fatty foods and do some exercise. Most diet pills don't work and are just ways to con people out of money.
i am thinking of trying hoodia. an appetite reducing pill.
Reply 4
Well lets consider this logically, lossing weight fast is bad for you. The body metabolises fat and protein. Ketones will appear in your urine (indicator of fat metabolis) and the fat lost will be metabolically active that means your most likely to put it straight back on again.

The areas where you are most likely to loss fat are your stomach and chest, that means your boobs hunny, along with some from your arms and legs. Fundamentally your bottom will be the second last to loss fat and your major muscle groups that is your legs, biceps and thighs wont really feel the effects (although they will before your arse does).

Lossing weight without exercise means protein is metabolised as well and this means you'll lose muscle tone as well. So we've established that quickly lossing weight is bad for you and won't really work. Having said that a stone in 3 - 4 months is perfectally fine. So now then lets look at weight loss pills.

There are many formula's and the most famous turned out to be tapeworm eggs. In theory there are several ways for them to work, raising your metabolisum or lowering your ability to digest it. However I have NO idea how they actually work, in reality. Personally I wouldn't go screwing around with my body without knowing what they do.

Finally there is NO easy way of losing weight, this is because its a selectable trait and we've evolved to conserve weight as much as possible. I would advise against them, and if you want to lose weight do it the old fashioned way it isn't easy but it is the best, good luck.
Reply 5
Eat less, do more.

You only want to lose a stone, and 6-8 weeks of healthy eating and exercise will do the trick for you... you really don't need pills, which like has been said in the past, don't work.

As for appetite suppressing, drink lots of water, particularly before your meal... it will fill you up.
what about adios? that ive seen on tv with is supossed to aid weight loss..?
don't be stupid -- just lose weight the regular way -- eat right + exercise -- no point damaging your body unecessarily
Reply 8
pink_lucie
what about adios? that ive seen on tv with is supossed to aid weight loss..?

They claim it works if you also follow a "calorie-controlled diet"... so if you just control your calorie intake and add a little exercise or physical activity, you wouldn't need to take the pills.

Also, don't you take them with a glass of water before your meal?... Again, that would be the water suppressing your appetite.
They don't work, don't waste your money. Instead, spend that money on a really nice pair of jeans or a top or something that's a size too small for you, as an incentive to lose weight :smile:
Reply 10
I've used them and on me they have a similar (but better) effect as pro-plus. They increase my heart rate and make me feel more active.
Reply 11
they killed anna nichol smith (sp) apparently. take from that what you will...
Losing 1 stone in about 4-5 months is so easy. Why don't you try to lose weight normally.
Reply 13
try a clenbuterol and cytomel stack, its the best fat burning stack out there but im sure you'll find that out for yourself once you research it. DNP is better but is has a side effect of death so i'd leave that one alone.
JMG
There is no one thing you can do to magically lose weight. If you want to lose weight then exercise, and eat less (I know you didn't want this suggested, but it is the only real way to do it). You can't expect to eat whatever you want and have this magic pill do all the work.

Ya this has hit the nail on the head really. There are various things that can help with weight loss, from basic herbal ingredients like dandelion root and butternut that speed food through your system, or green tea which will stimulate your thyroid gland, or anything with iodine in, like kelp, which will help your thyroid gland to produce thyroxine, through to bodybuilding supplements which might contain thermogenic ingredients that increase the body's adipose tissue metabolism, or ingredients that stimulate lipolysis, or both. Obviously the more potent the ingredients and the higher the efficacy of the supplement, the more you will expect to pay for it. But it's a bit of a minefield trying to get hold of anything that is proven to work for everybody and often people will try and sell you pills that may indeed work quite dramatically but have very unpleasant side effects, or don't work at all. Lots of "weight loss" chemicals have become illegal over the years for (in some cases) being very harmful or potentially fatal but are still sold on the internet.

Besides all of this, you cannot expect to stuff your face and sit on your bum, take a pill and watch the fat melt away. If you want to lose weight then something like Adios may help you in combination with a good diet and plenty of exercise (I have dieted both with and without a supplement such as this one and have found them helpful) but there is no point thinking weightloss pills are a substitute for a healthy lifestyle.

If you had a lot of weight to lose then I would have said perhaps a supplement with some science to back it up would be a good idea on top of a planned diet and structured exercise plan, but if you only want to lose a stone before the summer, it won't take that much. Just take the stairs instead of the lift and cut out one snack each day.
Reply 15
i think my friend was taking one called pure hoodia or something, she lost loads of weight, don't know if it was due to the pills though
Reply 16
How do you expect to get these pills? I don't think they are OTC. Maybe there is an illegal fat pill market out there :rolf:
Reply 17
Watch 'Requiem For A Dream' then reassess if you want to take them!
King Leigh
Watch 'Requiem For A Dream' then reassess if you want to take them!

Where were the weight loss pills in that?
Reply 19
The grandma?

Latest

Trending

Trending