The Student Room Group

Article: Eight myths and misconceptions about moving up to A-level

After Year 11 one of your options will be to start your A Levels at Sixth Form or College. Now, this whole new qualification level can seem incredibly scary and doubtlessly you've already got some ideas in your head about how horrific it's going to be. However, we've got some of the top things you'll likely be thinking along with everyone else, that we can prove wrong!
http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/content.php?r=19793-8-Myths-and-Misconceptions-about-moving-up-to-A-Level
(edited 8 years ago)
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses. :redface:

I'm going to quote in Tank Girl now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :h: :yy:

Spoiler

Reply 2
Original post by TSR Jessica
Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you’ve posted in the right place? Posting in the specific Study Help forum should help get responses. :redface:

I'm going to quote in Tank Girl now so she can move your thread to the right place if it's needed. :h: :yy:

Lmao
Nice to see the TSR Jessica duties have been shifted to the poor CT newbies.

Great article, Gingerbread. :smile:
Reply 4
Loved reading this article, thank you
Reply 5
If anything it can be more play than ever at the start but if you want to get good grades, you will knuckle down by January!
It is so much work. I have no idea how I coped at GCSE with 13+ subjects. But it is definitely more manageable than GCSEs and more enjoyable as you study what you really want.
Personally I didn't find the step up to A level that noticable, it seemed appropriate. Stuff just got more interesting.
You cannot cram if you want good grades. However if you revise early enough, stuff seems simpler and you don't need to cram nearer the exams because you know what you need to.
Cliques in my college dispersed as we moved from year 11 to year 12. Everybody became friends as studying became a universal goal; it wasn't cool to be badly behaved anymore.
I got a C at AS and did one exam retake and got an A overall. Work hard and it can happen :smile:
Don't be scared: you have more freedom and you grow up. If you don't like it, it only lasts 2 years!
Reply 6
Such a good article! I really agree with loads of the stuff in this.
If anything it can be more play than ever at the start but if you want to get good grades, you will knuckle down by January! Ofc you still have time to see friends, even near exam time. You'll need the break.
It is so much work. I have no idea how I coped at GCSE with 13+ subjects. But it is definitely more manageable than GCSEs and more enjoyable as you study what you really want.
Personally I didn't find the step up to A level that noticable, it seemed appropriate. Stuff just got more interesting.
Cliques in my college dispersed as we moved from year 11 to year 12. Everybody became friends as studying became a universal goal; it wasn't cool to be badly behaved anymore.
I got a C at AS and did one exam retake and got an A overall. Work hard and it can happen :smile:
Don't be scared: you have more freedom and you grow up. If you don't like it, it only lasts 2 years!
(Please delete previous post, edit didn't work)
:woo:
Reply 8
hey me I am repeating my A Level anf it is very difficult to cope in my new school
Reply 9
Hey guys. I just needed a bit of advice. I am doing my last year in high school and for lower six I did four subjects ,namely history, geography, business, and literature. The problem is, my Literature is pulling me down and I seem not to be good at it and its a struggle for me compared to the other subjects. At the same time I wish to study law at University, but I am not comfortable with continuing literature till I write my final exams. It could really mess up my results when I finally graduate. Somy question is, do I need literature in order to study law or can I safely drop it and just continue with my other three subjects which I am good at
In A Level subjects which are with the exam board OCR you need not only an A at AS to get an A* overall but need to get at least 90 UMS in every paper.

So, if you had two AS papers and two A2 papers for one subject and got 100 UMS in the first three and 89 in the final paper, even though this averages 97%, you would only get an A. So to correct number 8, not only do you need an A at AS, but an exceptionally high A in every paper.

Quick Reply

Latest