The Student Room Group

Being predicted A*A*A* from CCC

My school predicted a girl this. What do you think?

She got offers from LSE, Durham etc.

Scroll to see replies

Absolutely ridiculous. It is hard enough trying to just maintain the grades you got at AS.
Reply 2
Original post by lizmoo0721
Absolutely ridiculous. It is hard enough trying to just maintain the grades you got at AS.

I'm aware people improve at A2.
Original post by SCAR H

At my old school, you weren't allowed to be predicted more than one grade above the AS grade you got, so that would've been unheard of.

Unless she had extenuating circumstances last year I'd be impressed if she managed to get 3 A*s.
Reply 4
being predicted 'ABB' from 'CCC' is hard enough, let alone 3 A*'s!. how did she get such predictions
Reply 5
Original post by SeanFM
At my old school, you weren't allowed to be predicted more than one grade above the AS grade you got, so that would've been unheard of.

Unless she had extenuating circumstances last year I'd be impressed if she managed to get 3 A*s.

ABB would make more sense wouldnt it?
Reply 6
Original post by SCAR H
I'm aware people improve at A2.

People may improve at A2.

To go from C/C/C to A*/A*/A* is absurd and pretty much unheard of.

She won't meet her offers from LSE/Durham, and if she does then she deserves her place for pulling it off.

Usually it's the same grade prediction or 1 higher depending on how close you are to the next grade, not 3 grades higher.
Original post by SCAR H

And did she meet those offers?
Original post by lizmoo0721

I found that everyone did much, much better in A2 than AS tbh
Reply 9
Original post by tan030
being predicted 'ABB' from 'CCC' is hard enough, let alone 3 A*'s!. how did she get such predictions

Yeah ABB makes more sense. You have a meeting with your teachers and you come to an agreement. C to A* is of common.
Reply 10
I find it hard to believe that somebody with CCC at AS got offers from LSE and Durham, surely these universities can see that the 3A* prediction is completely meaningless and unrealistic
Reply 11
grade inflation alert!
Original post by SCAR H

its impossible to get A* in A2 with C grade at AS, unless she resist all of her exams which is a pain in itself. Just wow.

what did she get at the end btw?
Surely there must have been extenuating circumstances or something? I doubt department admissions from LSE and Durham would take those predictions on face value.
Reply 14
Original post by swopnil
its impossible to get A* in A2 with C grade at AS, unless she resist all of her exams which is a pain in itself.

With 95% at A2 and 65% at AS, it is possible. She resat.
Original post by anonlad
I find it hard to believe that somebody with CCC at AS got offers from LSE and Durham, surely these universities can see that the 3A* prediction is completely meaningless and unrealistic

Yeah.. makes no sense.
Original post by SCAR H
ABB would make more sense wouldnt it?

More sense yes, it's definitely a few steps down from being predicted A*A*A* given CCC.

Don't get me wrong, I'm sure it's possible. But something seriously needs to have clicked to go from doing okay at AS to doing brilliantly at A2, not to mention the amount of exams that would need to be taken to add to the difficulty.
Reply 17
Original post by Fango_Jett
Surely there must have been extenuating circumstances or something? I doubt department admissions from LSE and Durham would take those predictions on face value.

No extenuating circumentsances. She got AAB at the end and went to LSE
Original post by swopnil
its impossible to get A* in A2 with C grade at AS, unless she resist all of her exams which is a pain in itself. Just wow.

what did she get at the end btw?

Technically not. You would need 100% (or very close to it) at A2, but it's possible without resits.
Original post by SCAR H
With 95% at A2 and 65% at AS, it is possible. She resat.

ffs haha. what did she get in the end?

Quick Reply

Latest