The Student Room Group

Sheffield, Exeter or York for Politics?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Rhis Aces
I will be applying for an UG politics degree and I can't decide which university I should have as my first choice. Exeter is highest ranked overall but Sheffield has the best REF score and York seems very solid all round. Any tips from experience of the departments or just your own research would be very helpful.

I plan on studying Politics and IR too - I think I'll be putting Exeter first myself. It depends on the modules you like the look of as well as course/uni reputation though

Posted from TSR Mobile
Surely it comes down to personal preference when choosing between such evenly matched universities? None of them are any more prestigious or better than the other?

I would probably say York > Exeter > Sheffield but I am clutching on straws. They are all RG unis.
Reply 22
Original post by alicekyra
I plan on studying Politics and IR too - I think I'll be putting Exeter first myself. It depends on the modules you like the look of as well as course/uni reputation though

Posted from TSR Mobile

Exeter is a BSc which is actually quite good in a way, however the entry requirements are higher than both the other two. I could apply for straight politics and get a BA but the statistics modules may help me when it comes to employment further down the line. I do love the location though as it's 20 minutes from Exmouth and not too far from where I live.

Posted from TSR Mobile

10 years ago people would have likened Exeter to Lancaster, so be wary of thinking that Exeter is up there with Durham and Warwick for reputation, is certainly isn't anywhere near them.
Original post by King of the Ring
10 years ago people would have likened Exeter to Lancaster, so be wary of thinking that Exeter is up there with Durham and Warwick for reputation, is certainly isn't anywhere near them.

And 10 years ago people used to criticise Tony Blair's premiership. They don't anymore because times change, bud, times change.

I personally like the modules available & it ranks highly on most leaderboards that I've seen. Also, when I've done university and course comparisons it's ranked quite favourably against others that I've considered, in my opinion

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by callum_law
And 10 years ago people used to criticise Tony Blair's premiership. They don't anymore because times change, bud, times change.

10 years isn't a long time, and employers will only notice Exeter in another 10 years time. By then they will be cursing having to re-pay their debt they have acquired from their recent spending plans, and with it a steady drop in all rankings.
I personally like the modules available & it ranks highly on most leaderboards that I've seen. Also, when I've done university and course comparisons it's ranked quite favourably against others that I've considered, in my opinion

Posted from TSR Mobile

Not in the World rankings, nor in REF 2014, nor in university employer targeting tables. Exeter only joined the Russell Group in 2012. When they start re-paying their spending debt, they will fall in league tables.
10 years isn't a long time, and employers will only notice Exeter in another 10 years time. By then they will be cursing having to re-pay their debt they have acquired from their recent spending plans, and with it a steady drop in all rankings.

10 years ago it was Lancaster-tier and in 10 years' time it will be dropping in the ranking. You're a mix of a historian and a futurologist with an especial aversion to the present.
Not in the World rankings, nor in REF 2014, nor in university employer targeting tables. Exeter only joined the Russell Group in 2012. When they start re-paying their spending debt, they will fall in league tables.

So did Durham.
So did Durham.

I also think Durham and St Andrews will suffer the same fate as Exeter with a drop in the UK rankings over time, as they couldn't possibly sustain their current spending over the next 5-10 years by just borrowing. It is interesting how such universities borrow lots of money and merely struggle to pay the interest rates back, even when in surplus.
I also think Durham and St Andrews will suffer the same fate as Exeter with a drop in the UK rankings over time, as they couldn't possibly sustain their current spending over the next 5-10 years by just borrowing. It is interesting how such universities borrow lots of money and merely struggle to pay the interest rates back, even when in surplus.

They all incur a bit of debt. Similar drop in rankings for Notts. Maybe they will decline at a steady rate together, and so the status quo is effectively maintained. However, as we're not in 2025, I don't think prospective undergrads should heed your advice to avoid Exeter or Durham.
Reply 32

Will the same fate befall York? And which universities, wheb you look in to your crystal ball, do you see rising?
Will the same fate befall York? And which universities, wheb you look in to your crystal ball, do you see rising?

York has just spent a whopping £750 million on developments, so they have a big debt to pay back!

The ranking of a university in UK league tables goes in cycles, according to the finances and debt levels of the university, and on their spending plans. Those universities that have spent heavy over the last 10 years will be spending the following 10 years spending far less.
They all incur a bit of debt. Similar drop in rankings for Notts. Maybe they will decline at a steady rate together, and so the status quo is effectively maintained. However, as we're not in 2025, I don't think prospective undergrads should heed your advice to avoid Exeter or Durham.

Nottingham indeed fell in the UK rankings, after an absurd amount of spending on overseas campuses, but at least they will get this money back in the longer term through the extra students they take on. It was a clever longterm investment.

I am not saying avoid Exeter or Durham, I am just saying they won't sustain their UK ranking forever.

Nottingham are spending £40 million on a new Sports Village, and a major transformation in their teaching is taking place over the next 5 years with small-group teaching, so they may well rise in the rankings. Manchester have a £1 billion spending plan in the pipeline. Sheffield also have heavy spending plans.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending