The Student Room Group

This discussion is now closed.

Check out other Related discussions

Noxbridge?

Nottingham is due to phase in group teaching for undergraduate students from 2015-2020. This will mean the university will offer a similar type of teaching and learning environment to Oxbridge.

Noxbridge?

Edit: It will be small-group teaching, supported by tailored plans for the learning and development of each student during their degree.
(edited 8 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

No.
Original post by H0PEL3SS
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

No.

Why not? No other uni outside of Oxbridge currently offers group teaching in the UK?
Original post by King of the Ring
Why not? No other uni outside of Oxbridge currently offers group teaching in the UK?

I would assume that Notts would need a bit more than a similar teaching style to be on that sort of level.
I don't see people saying Doxbridge because Durham has a collegiate system.
I would assume that Notts would need a bit more than a similar teaching style to be on that sort of level.

If Durham offered group teaching, it's prestige and status would indeed be increased to the point people say Doxbridge.
Reply 5

New members are invited to introduce themselves here.
(edited 8 years ago)
Will it stage interviews for applicants and raise the competition too?
Original post by Ser Alex Toyne
Will it stage interviews for applicants and raise the competition too?

They certainly are looking at getting in more students at AAA level, currently they average ABB. I doubt they would interview for most courses though, unless interest in the uni really did shoot up to Oxbridge heights.
Oxbridge are called Oxbridge because they've been around for over 500 years. They've also turned out some of the most influential people in society, including the vast majority of our nation's PMs.

It'll take a great deal more than tutorial-esque teaching to put Nottingham up alongside them.
Original post by Profesh
New members are invited to introduce themselves here.

Fair play :lol:

I should have said that I don't see anyone who isn't a hardcore Durham fan saying Doxbridge.
(Or that it's been ages since I have seen anyone do so, but maybe I just don't frequent those sorts of threads)

If Durham offered group teaching, it's prestige and status would indeed be increased to the point people say Doxbridge.

Highly doubt that.
Oxbridge has a prestige that is, for today at least, unmatchable, due to their histories.
In the near future at least, there will not be any uni that will have that rich history to propel their status to Oxbridge levels.
Nottingham is due to phase in group teaching for undergraduate students from 2015-2020. This will mean the university will offer a similar type of teaching and learning environment to Oxbridge.

Noxbridge?

What does 'group teaching' mean exactly? Because my tutorials are often 2 or 3 students to one tutor. A friend at Edinburgh university claims to have tutorials, but they have 8 students to a tutor... that's the size of one of my seminars!
Fair play :lol:

Highly doubt that.
Oxbridge has a prestige that is, for today at least, unmatchable, due to their histories.
In the near future at least, there will not be any uni that will have that rich history to propel their status to Oxbridge levels.

The more the likes of Durham or Nottingham become like Oxbridge, then of course people will start making comparisons with those universities.

Aberdeen is very old, yet I don't hear of anyone saying it is really prestigious.
(edited 8 years ago)
Original post by colourtheory
What does 'group teaching' mean exactly? Because my tutorials are often 2 or 3 students to one tutor. A friend at Edinburgh university claims to have tutorials, but they have 8 students to a tutor... that's the size of one of my seminars!

They haven't stated what the group sizes will be, only that they are investing massively for this to happen.
They haven't stated what the group sizes will be, only that they are investing massively for this to happen.

The students and the faculties and the research will be entirely different to that of Oxbridge, so you can't really bundle them together based on small group teaching.
what
The students and the faculties and the research will be entirely different to that of Oxbridge, so you can't really bundle them together based on small group teaching.

The university claims to be able to differentiate itself from the rest by offering international education, plus now with group teaching to come.
The more the likes of Durham or Nottingham become like Oxbridge, then of course people will start making comparisons with those universities.

Aberdeen is very old, yet I don't hear of anyone saying it is really prestigious.

If I was to pick a couple of unis to challenge Oxbridge, I wouldn't pick Nottingham.
I'd go more with the likes of Imperial, LSE, UCL, Warwick and Durham.
But even then, none will match Oxbridge, because of the histories of these two unis.
Why isn't Aberdeen on the same level? Well, a quick google tells me that Aberdeen used to be two separate universities, which merged in 1860.
The university claims to be able to differentiate itself from the rest by offering international education, plus now with group teaching to come.

What's 'international education'?
If I was to pick a couple of unis to challenge Oxbridge, I wouldn't pick Nottingham.
I'd go more with the likes of Imperial, LSE, UCL, Warwick and Durham.
But even then, none will match Oxbridge, because of the histories of these two unis.
Why isn't Aberdeen on the same level? Well, a quick google tells me that Aberdeen used to be two separate universities, which merged in 1860.

Maybe not in 2015, but by 2020 students will have access to international education and group teaching as part of their degree at Nottingham. That is something which other universities can't offer.
What's 'international education'?

Being able to do part of your degree at one of their overseas campuses.

Latest

Trending

Trending