The Student Room Group

A level choices!

I need help picking a fourth option ( not sure whether to do one)

At GCSE I got:

Maths: A
RS: A
History: B
Core Science: B
Additional Science: B
ICT: B
English Lit: C
English Lang: C
French: C
Psychology: E (what a joke lol)

At sixth form I am currently planning on picking Maths, Physics and History and was wondering what to do as a fourth?
I was considering one of either:

-Games Design (btec)
-Geography
- ICT (btec)
- Business (btec)
- Chemistry
- Biology. Or with the grades that I got will four A levels be too hard for me?

If you are wondering about the E in Psychology I took the lesson as a joke after they made us do it after we picked RS and finished it in year 10, only about 15 out of around 70 people got a C. We all fell asleep in the exam
I won't advise against it but Physics is one of the hardest A-Levels out there and if you are only getting a B in the sciences and A in Maths then you will be disadvantaged but I won't dissuade you anymore!

I would advise you to do RS for A-Level but that isn't one of your considerations then it's your choice.

BTEC Business and ICT are considerably easier than an A-Level in Chem.
Biology should only really be considered if you have an amazing memory.

Realistically without some knowledge on your University it's quite hard to recommend an A-Level for you to undertake.

Whatever your choice I wish you luck!
Reply 2
If youre looking at the BTECs i would go for IT over Games Design, Games Design is pretty weak, in IT you get to do actual programming and it is more recognised if you were looking to do Computer Science at uni which could be a good choice based on your other A level choices in Maths and Physics, then IT would be a good choice dependant on the modules that your college teaches

However if you were going to consider doing a degree like Management, Accounting, Finance, Economics, Markwting or similar then i would suggest taking Business

As someone else said you sort of need to have an idea of what uou want to do after whether that be unicersity or a job, then people would be able to advise you better

Hope this helps :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by Adjunct Bias
I won't advise against it but Physics is one of the hardest A-Levels out there and if you are only getting a B in the sciences and A in Maths then you will be disadvantaged but I won't dissuade you anymore!

I would advise you to do RS for A-Level but that isn't one of your considerations then it's your choice.

BTEC Business and ICT are considerably easier than an A-Level in Chem.
Biology should only really be considered if you have an amazing memory.

Realistically without some knowledge on your University it's quite hard to recommend an A-Level for you to undertake.

Whatever your choice I wish you luck!

I got an A in the physics section of science, it was my biology that brought it down as I had a bad teacher, I was considering RS as well
Sorry that im being to pestimistic but dont do physics because you got a b at GCSE my friend got a B at GCSE and got a U in AS same applies with chemistry and biology. history is really hard as well but if you know the exam technique you will be fine. In my opinion do maths history Business btec and ICT btec but if you get a U or a E in mocks for maths or history immeadiately drop it!!!
Reply 5
Original post by Ilovetopshop
Sorry that im being to pestimistic but dont do physics because you got a b at GCSE my friend got a B at GCSE and got a U in AS same applies with chemistry and biology. history is really hard as well but if you know the exam technique you will be fine. In my opinion do maths history Business btec and ICT btec but if you get a U or a E in mocks for maths or history immeadiately drop it!!!

as I said just above, I got an A in the physics section with biology bringing it down because of a bad teacher, saying that my physics teacher missed off a whole topic because he didn't think it would come up in the exam, and it did

Quick Reply

Latest